Two beach questions

jasonw77

Dec 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the pacific northwest and I'm very new to detecting, we have some nice beaches that get pretty hard when the weather turns good. What type of scoop would be good, most beaches aren't all sand a lot are very rocky (small rocks)? Looking for.something that could do well in sand and rocks.

Second I own a equinox 800 for the type of wet rocky and sand ground would it be best for the to run in Beach 1 or 2

Upvote 0

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beaches here are really mineralized and I run beach 2.

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt areas of the great lakes which have lots of rocky beaches. For that I use my mini spade. Like a normal spade, but smaller and easy to tote with the D handle.
Just make sure to get a good quality one, it's worth the extra bit of money. Otherwise you end up breaking the handle or even the blade. I've done both and learned the hard way.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I would recommend a stainless scoop like a stealth scoop or an extreme scoop from “Extreme Scoops”or a scoop from RTG aka Reilly’s Treasure Gold.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot will depend on how hard and rocky the beach is. If it isn't too bad, a good quality stainless scoop will work ok. If it's REALLY hard with big rocks, get a good strong spade. If you're in the water or sopping wet sand, Beach 2 is usually the best to use. Beach 1 or even Park 1 will work good in the dry sand or on the slope.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a stainless steel scoop, rocks will tear up aluminum scoop.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot also depends on how much material you can handle ... it get heavy. I prefer a bit smaller scoop.... StarvR. Something with a point will help get thru hard pan or rocks. Round nose ones tend to want to roll on you and in the water thats a pain. Out of the water if you can run beach 1 its better. Beach 2 in the water uses a salt setting, reduced power (maybe by half) and you will likely have to reduce the sensitivity....... that all amounts to a depth/sensitivity loss. Dry sand you may be able to use one of the modes that doesnt use a salt setting..... park or field.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used my Stealth 920ix scoop for over 6 years now. I look at it and it still looks like it's brand new.

Got it from a guy in Metro-Detroit, don't know if he's still making them. It was expensive, over $300, but it has "lifetime" left in it, probably more than I personally have left.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used my Stealth 920ix scoop for over 6 years now. I look at it and it still looks like it's brand new.

Got it from a guy in Metro-Detroit, don't know if he's still making them. It was expensive, over $300, but it has "lifetime" left in it, probably more than I personally have left.

Chuck sold the business now Stealth is located in SoCal. Not sure if the lifetime warranty still applies or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread