First time buying a scoop...Could use some clarification and advice...

whyired

Greenie
May 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I posted in the WTB section a similar post, but realized I could really use some advice about a few things...

Any and all feedback and help is much appreciated.

So I'm looking to purchase my first sand scoop. I've spent a good chunk of hours researching what my options are and what makes the most sense for my particular scenario.

Even with all that reading I'm still unsure of what scoop is a my best bet given my budget and constraints.

Here goes...

I'm looking for something that will work well in lakes, streams, ponds and rivers, basically all freshwater areas.

I will be dealing with a fair amount of rocks, pebbles, clay, etc. but mostly sand. I'll primarily be hunting in the lakes region of new hampshire/new england.

I'm planning to use a sifter and wade a bit besides just walking beaches and shores.

I'm looking for something that I can separate into two pieces. I was originally looking at the RTG SS 5" travel scoop, but some of the posts I've read have me second guessing that option due to the small scoop size.

Since I plan on using a floating sifter the scoop will be acting as a shovel for dumping wet on to the sifter.

I also need a travel design or 2 peice scoop setup since I won't be able to drive. It's going to be all hiking, so everything has to fit in a backpack.

I do have a question or 2 that I'd appreciate feedback on.

In regards to the RTG scoops, I notice they have a travel version of the 6" aluminum scoop. It weighs and cost about the same as the 5" stainless steel.

How much of a strength difference is there between those 2 particular scoops?

Does it make more sense to go with the larger scoop even though it's made of aluminum?

I tried to find a travel version of the 6" scoop with a stainless steel tip but I've not come across that option anywhere retail wise.

The other option that I'm looking at is to buy a scoop and 2 peice handle/pole separately. I know a lot of people are fans of the stealth and T-Rex scoops. But I'm not sure I can afford them right now.

I've looked at the various Ukrainian scoops, but it's hard to tell if they are worth it outside of Strav scoops.

I see Coob, CFG and Dune brand scoops as other Ukrainian options. I'm just not sure given some of the posts I've read on various forums.

There seems to be a lot of mixed messages in regards to their quality.

Although one would assume that these other Ukrainian vendors are basically making clones of the Strav scoops.

I'm wondering if by now they pretty much have the design and quality copied to a point where they're worthwhile options to consider.

If anyone has personally used these other Ukrainian branded scoops I'd love to hear your thoughts as well as suggestions in regards to particular models.

On the whole, any help and feedback is much appreciated.

P.s. as I mentioned at the start of my post, I also posted in the WTB forum looking to buy a scoop.

If you happen to have one for sale or know someone selling one that might fit the bill, please let me know.

Much love and gratitude,
Dave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use A RTG travel model - will fit in suit case

6290043o.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I PM'ed you
RTG does make an aluminum large basket long handle with a stainless tip - just have to call and ask to make it a travel model
they never had one yrs ago - I called and had them special make one for me (add tip and make 2 piece)
- then they added to their line
never got credit for it
They just came out with new one called the BLADE - it comes in travel model also - might be my next one

OP
OP
W

whyired

Greenie
May 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge appreciation, for the links, pm and making aware of the travel model for the SS tip model.

Definitely going to read the other articles, I read your article on scoops which was quite helpful, looking forward to read your insights on sifters and detecting in general.

Much love and gratitude.

OP
OP
W

whyired

Greenie
May 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I PM'ed you
RTG does make an aluminum large basket long handle with a stainless tip - just have to call and ask to make it a travel model
they never had one yrs ago - I called and had them special make one for me (add tip and make 2 piece)
- then they added to their line
never got credit for it
They just came out with new one called the BLADE - it comes in travel model also - might be my next one

I just want to say thanks again for making me aware that a travel version of the 6' pro aluminum scoop with a SS tip actually exists.

What's even more awesome is that it ended up costing me less to get that scoop then it was going to cost me to get the 5' all stainless travel mini.

I also have to say, the person I spoke with made me a bigger fan of not only the scoops but the people behind them.

Much love and gratitude.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to be working in rocks or gravel, I would definitely get a stainless scoop or an aluminum one with the stainless tip. Those blunt all aluminum ones are hard to work in rocks/gravel.

OP
OP
W

whyired

Greenie
May 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed! I should have worded my post better. But yeah, I was able to get a 6' aluminum pro scoop with the stainless steel tip and in a travel model for a 2-3 bucks less then what it was going to cost me to get a 5' full stainless travel model, by ordering from Reilly's directly.

Again thanks to Casper for the heads up!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Indeed! I should have worded my post better. But yeah, I was able to get a 6' aluminum pro scoop with the stainless steel tip and in a travel model for a 2-3 bucks less then what it was going to cost me to get a 5' full stainless travel model, by ordering from Reilly's directly.

Again thanks to Casper for the heads up!

Laraine at Reilly’s is great! She’ll help you get whatever you need.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like the Blade has the SS tip..... All aluminum. ??

OP
OP
W

whyired

Greenie
May 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the do have the blade with the SS tip. There are more options that are apparently just not on the website yet. It also seems like they can add any modification you want based on options they already offer.

I asked about a SS tip travel model of the blade and it was indeed an option.

Much love and gratitude.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions