Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If the molder added UV protection, you don't need to apply any additional application as it is inherent in the articles.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone apply some coating onto all the plastic components and cable on detectors to prevent UV degradation. The sun seems to ruin all plastic eventually even making it brittle. It must be obvious this sheltering in place BS is getting to me. Maybe I need to drink more
Please don’t drink the Cable coating Tom. It will kill you faster than what’s going around.:laughing7:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone apply some coating onto all the plastic components and cable on detectors to prevent UV degradation. The sun seems to ruin all plastic eventually even making it brittle. It must be obvious this sheltering in place BS is getting to me. Maybe I need to drink more

NO, You need to get out more. We hike and bike trails. If someone come by, we step off into the woods. I'll take a tick bite over corona any day. Yesterday we were gold prospecting. Didn't see anyone. Going out does not mean mingling!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% pure silicone is what I use on cables.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a food grade silicone to spray the cables, silicone is a UV inhibiator. I use McNutt, spray cables about once a month let it set 10 mins and then wipe off any excess.

McNutt Silicone Spray.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be sure it is vegetable based not petroleum based. Use petroleum base and it will destroy the cables insulation over time.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 GT's & a XS-2 with a Newer Coil from Minelab.
the Coating on 2 of them Cracked & Peeled off leaving Colored Wires in the Wind.

I heard this was an Issue with one Batch of Coils.

One of the GT's was never out the Box except to Test it, So it never was hit by the Sun.
I Wrapped it with Black tape Just to prevent it from Pealing if it ever gets used.

Of course all depends on the Lifespan of the Tapes Stickum also.
it may automatically deteriorate like old scotch tape too.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is petroleum based silicone and vegetable based silicone, be sure it is vegetable based.
Petroleum based damages the polymers in the cable insulation.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is petroleum based silicone and vegetable based silicone, be sure it is vegetable based.

Well I have been using the WD one that I posted a link for years... prolly 6ish now.

No problems... thus far anyway.

I use on a multitude of things with great results... in fact... I find it sometimes a bit "light"... wished it was almost not so watered down and a bit thicker.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prior to tht spray I was using tube and a rag/

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been using the WD one that I posted a link for years... prolly 6ish now.

No problems... thus far anyway.

I use on a multitude of things with great results... in fact... I find it sometimes a bit "light"... wished it was almost not so watered down and a bit thicker.

It is petroleum based, I would never use it, it costs over $400 to replace cables on excal.

Screenshot_20200518-185152_Gallery.jpg

"Many things can affect the life and performance of electrical cables, oil is one of the most damaging. Used as a coolant and lubricant in many industrial and infrastructure settings, oil can inflict molecular damage on the polymers used for cable insulation and jacketing. If ignored, oil damage to cables can be severe. It will ultimately result in cable failure, downtime and replacement costs."

https://www.machinedesign.com/autom...le/21834297/protecting-cables-from-oil-damage

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh.. I used silicon gel in tube prior. and electronic disk silicones... PRE WD

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, all I am doing is warning you, I worked for Minelab for 3 years, repair center for 5 years, telecommunications for over 40 years, you dont put petroleum based products on cable insulation, we had excals that came in that had petroleum based silicone used on cables and it destroyed the insulation.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than even using any kind of spray is keeping the machine stored in reasonable temp. DONT store it in a garage where that isnt climate controlled. Constant heat is the death of rubber even worse that UV.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread