Question about diving detector and beach detecting. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Question about diving detector and beach detecting.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sarcastic Smartass

May 2003
    Spokane, Washington
    White's XLT
    12 times
    Great info here. I very much appreciate it.

I'm thinking that my XLT and a Sea Hunter might be enough. I'm planning to sail around the world, and most likely would be primarily detecting remote locations with very little trash on the beach. (And frankly I can suffer trash digging in sand. It's finding pulltabs under turf that drives me nuts. Tho the sea hunter seems to have discrimination)

This plan also has the benefit that the XLT is already paid for rather than buy a dual freq VLF (Which I can always add to the mix later)

Thanks!
    RustyGold likes this.
    Pics hosted with Dreamhost - http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?293800

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    EQX 800; CTX 3030; Excal II
    1267 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Lasivian, In 2015, I tested the discrimination capability of the Sea Hunter for Kellyco. Sparing you the details, below is the final summary from that report....just FYI.

"The more you crank up the discrimination the more you lose depth and that loss is compounded when the target is small. If you're primary interest is in eliminating junk and only digging a few inches or going after super bowl rings, by all means crank up that discrimination knob. However, I obviously concur with both Garrett and the others; the best setting for the Sea Hunter Mark II is the lowest level of discrimination possible in standard mode. To get the most out of the Sea Hunter and being reasonably confident of not passing over potentially good targets, I'd start off with zero discrimination and prepare myself to dig a lot! In this setting, the Sea Hunter is a solidly performing waterproof PI machine at a great price point. But as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole. Your results may vary."
    CASPER-2, RustyGold and cudamark like this.
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s up to you to pick the best seat~

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8964 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post

I'm thinking that my XLT and a Sea Hunter might be enough. I'm planning to sail around the world, and most likely would be primarily detecting remote locations with very little trash on the beach. (And frankly I can suffer trash digging in sand. It's finding pulltabs under turf that drives me nuts. Tho the sea hunter seems to have discrimination)

This plan also has the benefit that the XLT is already paid for rather than buy a dual freq VLF (Which I can always add to the mix later)

Thanks!
    No, that XLT wont serve you for beach hunting. Get one of the multi-freqs, they are superior on land and beach.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16803 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    in the 90s the seahunter was popular and guys were hammering the waters around here with them - guys were bragging they had cleaned many spots out using them - when i got my PI PRO i went to these spots and guys said i would not get much if anything - I killed it - PI was pulling stuff twice as deep as they had gotten
    old pic of silver and gold from 1995-2004 - i'd say 95% is from water with whites PI's and land finds were with XLT - never hit a virgin spot - all is from following
    others - went slow - all metal - dug deep and try to take everything out - good and bad
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/2232964459/

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelDan View Post
    Lasivian, In 2015, I tested the discrimination capability of the Sea Hunter for Kellyco. Sparing you the details, below is the final summary from that report....just FYI.

"The more you crank up the discrimination the more you lose depth and that loss is compounded when the target is small. If you're primary interest is in eliminating junk and only digging a few inches or going after super bowl rings, by all means crank up that discrimination knob. However, I obviously concur with both Garrett and the others; the best setting for the Sea Hunter Mark II is the lowest level of discrimination possible in standard mode. To get the most out of the Sea Hunter and being reasonably confident of not passing over potentially good targets, I'd start off with zero discrimination and prepare myself to dig a lot! In this setting, the Sea Hunter is a solidly performing waterproof PI machine at a great price point. But as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole. Your results may vary."
    RustyGold likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16803 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    these are some that are in the pic from link in previous post - all from late 1990s and early 2000s from water with PIs
    these i think are all older finds - no fresh drops in these pics
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/2376565965/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/2376565783/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/2376565689/

in fact the fresh drops were removed - every newer gold ring was pulled for these pics hence the empty spots
    Last edited by CASPER-2; May 29, 2020 at 02:43 PM.
    RustyGold likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1148 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    You problem with a PI maybe price and uS for those currently being used for deep salt water. Yes and Xcal and CZ are rated deep...... but how many have been pressure tested and taken very deep? If you are talking 10' ... then you should be good..... deeper gets a little more complicated. Obviously the Xcal and CZ can be used on the beach and in the water and would be sensitive to hunt both by tone.
    RustyGold and CASPER-2 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8678 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post

Thanks!
    Keep in mind that beaches with no trash don't get used much, and therefor will have very few good targets either.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1148 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Dry sand only Xlt..... some beaches when wet even you will have to make adjustments reducing depth. Its a good machine..... but its not in the same class now as some of the newer machines at a reasonable price.

us
    Mar 2014
    South Bend
    ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
    101 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Hey Lasivian,
    You asked a question in the forum, but seemed to have already made up your mind. Many of those that responded are seasoned detectorist and few although they don't know it I consider Treasurenet Mentors. In the replies the Excal II, and the Fishers CZ21 seem to always rise to the top. I own in order of purchase the Excal, Equinox 800, and the Fishers CZ21. The Excal I've had for 5 seasons and it has served me well. I then bought the Equinox 800 and have been in a love hate relationship with it. My primary issue is that it isn't trust worthy in its waterproofness. I had to send it back to Minelab 2 weeks in with water under the screen. Costomer service was good as was the turn around but now that its in its 2nd year and out of warranty I don't trust it in the water, but when on dry land or dry beach it knocks it out of the park. Now for my newest purchase the Fishers CZ21. I've only used it a few times as area lakes are still freaking cold. My initial opinion is that it's much like the Excal II. Pros well it gives you a lil better depth and the pin point makes target recovery easier than with the Excal II. Cons The Fishers CZ21 is a heavy beast best to be swung on a chest or belt mount unless your into short tiring metal detecting trips. I hope you reconsider your options and take another look at both the Excal II and the Fisher CZ21. Pick the minds of those that have gone before you as I have and may you have an awesome seasons in your future.

us
    Sarcastic Smartass

May 2003
    Spokane, Washington
    White's XLT
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SurgTech57 View Post
    Hey Lasivian,
    You asked a question in the forum, but seemed to have already made up your mind.
    No actually, I'm reposting this to try and clarify things. Thanks!

Ok, let's try this again. Detectors to take on a sailboat.
    Pics hosted with Dreamhost - http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?293800

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    Excaliber II with homemade straight shaft; Equinox 800
    357 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Keep in mind that beaches with no trash don't get used much, and therefor will have very few good targets either.

That is correct Cuda. I hunt Treasure Coast beaches that are not your typical weekend public beach, and for that reason, I don't find much of anything, even trash. But, "Todays the Day!".
    AARC likes this.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links