Question about diving detector and beach detecting.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm curious which plan you guys would suggest. I've only used VLF, and this would likely be PI. Also have not done much beach of diving hunting. But I plan to do a lot of both in the near future.

#1 Should I get a detector for diving and just also use it on the beach?
#2 Should I get a diving detector and a second one for on the beach?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You problem with a PI maybe price and uS for those currently being used for deep salt water. Yes and Xcal and CZ are rated deep...... but how many have been pressure tested and taken very deep? If you are talking 10' ... then you should be good..... deeper gets a little more complicated. Obviously the Xcal and CZ can be used on the beach and in the water and would be sensitive to hunt both by tone.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info here. I very much appreciate it.

I'm thinking that my XLT and a Sea Hunter might be enough. I'm planning to sail around the world, and most likely would be primarily detecting remote locations with very little trash on the beach. (And frankly I can suffer trash digging in sand. It's finding pulltabs under turf that drives me nuts. Tho the sea hunter seems to have discrimination)

This plan also has the benefit that the XLT is already paid for rather than buy a dual freq VLF (Which I can always add to the mix later)

Thanks!

Keep in mind that beaches with no trash don't get used much, and therefor will have very few good targets either.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry sand only Xlt..... some beaches when wet even you will have to make adjustments reducing depth. Its a good machine..... but its not in the same class now as some of the newer machines at a reasonable price.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Lasivian,
You asked a question in the forum, but seemed to have already made up your mind. Many of those that responded are seasoned detectorist and few although they don't know it I consider Treasurenet Mentors. In the replies the Excal II, and the Fishers CZ21 seem to always rise to the top. I own in order of purchase the Excal, Equinox 800, and the Fishers CZ21. The Excal I've had for 5 seasons and it has served me well. I then bought the Equinox 800 and have been in a love hate relationship with it. My primary issue is that it isn't trust worthy in its waterproofness. I had to send it back to Minelab 2 weeks in with water under the screen. Costomer service was good as was the turn around but now that its in its 2nd year and out of warranty I don't trust it in the water, but when on dry land or dry beach it knocks it out of the park. Now for my newest purchase the Fishers CZ21. I've only used it a few times as area lakes are still freaking cold. My initial opinion is that it's much like the Excal II. Pros well it gives you a lil better depth and the pin point makes target recovery easier than with the Excal II. Cons The Fishers CZ21 is a heavy beast best to be swung on a chest or belt mount unless your into short tiring metal detecting trips. I hope you reconsider your options and take another look at both the Excal II and the Fisher CZ21. Pick the minds of those that have gone before you as I have and may you have an awesome seasons in your future.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that beaches with no trash don't get used much, and therefor will have very few good targets either.

That is correct Cuda. I hunt Treasure Coast beaches that are not your typical weekend public beach, and for that reason, I don't find much of anything, even trash. But, "Todays the Day!".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread