Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Experienced land detector here. I've tried to find some information online on getting started at shallow water (freshwater lakes) detecting. Equipment, techniques, how to find historic beaches & swimming holes, stuff like that. Doesn't seem to be much out there.

I did a search for this forum and will be picking through it looking for advice but thought it best to also ask my question directly. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old shoes, shorts, gloves, pinpointer, metal detector.... now get out there!!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old shoes, shorts, gloves, pinpointer, metal detector.... now get out there!!

I should also probably mention that I'm in Minnesota and it is still only May.

Seriously, I also should add that I have chest waders, a pretty good long handled scoop and an Equinox 800 (but no waterproof headphones)

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your in sand the scoop will work but they dont work good in rocks, Im in Michigan I start water detecting in late July... gotta be careful with waders and bending over if its shallow enough then no worries... I detect alot water crossings and have to fan the dirt away as the scoop cant get through the rocks...I will be using a snorkel mask this year for higher waters... also might want some trapper gauntlets

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your in sand the scoop will work but they dont work good in rocks, Im in Michigan I start water detecting in late July... gotta be careful with waders and bending over if its shallow enough then no worries... I detect alot water crossings and have to fan the dirt away as the scoop cant get through the rocks...I will be using a snorkel mask this year for higher waters... also might want some trapper gauntlets

So, that's what they call those. I thought those were veterinarian gloves. :laughing7:

Is this a good enough pair? https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Creek-Full-Trappers-Gauntlet/dp/B00I47HZB8

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depending on your water temps - you might want to get a wet suit or dry suit if you dont mind spending that kind of money
I shy away from waders cause years ago i knew of guys that drowned and a few that almost did
what happens is they were getting good stuff farther and farther out and they pushed their limits - they should not have
some of these articles might help you - most are for saltwater but some pertain to water in general
if anything they might inspire you
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/
I did a lot of fresh water in the 1990s - early 2000s - guys on beachs saw me pulling gold in water and they started to
one by one come out with me - so i moved on to saltwaters even though I got a little bit of a ride to get to it
but i used to do pretty good in fresh water lakes,ponds, and rivers

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
depending on your water temps - you might want to get a wet suit or dry suit if you dont mind spending that kind of money
I shy away from waders cause years ago i knew of guys that drowned and a few that almost did
what happens is they were getting good stuff farther and farther out and they pushed their limits - they should not have

This 100%. Tons of wetsuits on sale now too as the winter just ended so they are clearing out inventory. I am a surfer and most of the surf sites had almost 50% discounts on them over the mem day weekend. Lots of horror stories about waders...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seriously, I also should add that I have chest waders, a pretty good long handled scoop and an Equinox 800 (but no waterproof headphones)

Get the waterproof headphones, water shoes or booties, wet suit if needed, and get in the water! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any tips for finding sites that aren't slammed by everyone and their brother? I prefer old stuff, not terribly interested in modern day bling even if it is worth a lot of money.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old post cards are one good way to find older swim holes, search "swimming hole post card" for your state and county...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Get you about an eight foot length of 1" hard plastic plumbing pipe, 4 90d elbows, and some pool noodles. Also get you some mesh cloth, and tie-wraps. The idea is to make yourself a floating "screen" where you can dump your full scoop into the float. Cuts out the problem of just trying to recover your target from your scoop while you're bobbing in the water yourself.

Simple to make and works great! Some assembly required :) Just takes a wee bit of your brain to figure out where you're going. It'll change the way you water hunt.

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
Try to seek out the oldest people in the area and ask them where they swam when they were young.
Usually where they swam there was no sand, but usually rocky.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to seek out the oldest people in the area and ask them where they swam when they were young.
Usually where they swam there was no sand, but usually rocky.
Sooooo...where did you swim Jim :tongue3:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds

Check out Minnesota Beach Boys. They detect all over Minnesotaโ€™s many lakes. Maybe you could contact them and maybe even get out with them.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
old post cards are one good way to find older swim holes, search "swimming hole post card" for your state and county...

Thanks for the tip there, Toecutter.

1912-Skinny-dipping-in-the-Don-River-near-Bloor-Viaduct.jpg

Now we are ALL on the FBI list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread