May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You don't see these too often around where I live. There were many on the beach this morning. I found a bunch of pennies too! I think someone purposely threw them on the sand for us lol

100091601_10122699435501184_8660422100613332992_n.jpg

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you never used to see them on eastcoast years ago -like before 2000- think they were brought thru the panama canal
Fla. started getting a lot now Gulf stream is bringing them up your way with the warming Atlantic waters
got to make sure kids dont play with them - they give a good burn - and dont let me catch you playing with them either :tongue3:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear thin gloves with rubber palms when in the water in Fla. so I can push them aside
or throw them at kids that are bothering me :tongue3:
or toss them to the competition - "Here...catch!"

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
got to make sure kids dont play with them - they give a good burn

My son is 9 and finally old enough to enjoy coming out with me. He was trying to put a shell on it...after I just got done telling him it would burn him. I am getting him a vanquish soon so he stops playing with the sea life haha.

I wear thin gloves with rubber palms when in the water in Fla.

I never used to wear gloves but I have started this year mostly to avoid recent finds/covid. Im wearing standard gardening gloves with the rubber fingers/palms.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
You need more than gloves to protect you from man o wars. Their tentacles can actually reach over 100 feet in deep water. they average 30 feet.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need more than gloves to protect you from man o wars. Their tentacles can actually reach over 100 feet in deep water. they average 30 feet.
I wear a dive jacket with long sleeves or a long sleeve sweat sirt to keep them and other jellies off me - been with locals down there going
shirtless and hear "ah!" "oh!" "ee" as they get stung - Ive not been stung in a looong time - I learned long ago

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not only that but the tentacles sometimes detach and drift unseen in the water. The stinging cells are still active and can remain so for several days. There's even a species of octopus which is immune to the venom and uses broken tentacles it has managed to grab as a weapon against its predators.

We get them over here too on our western coasts when there have been strong winds.

When I was a kid and we saw dead ones on the beach the words: "look, there's a jellyfish..." were always followed by the words "... let's find a stick".

As an aside, the man-o-war is not a jellyfish... it's a colonial hydrozoan.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats how i learned - i knew they were bad when i was younger - i had heard of huge ones in the pacific and a few guys died when they swam into large ones
in the mid 90s when they started being more common in the Keys then south Fla. waters - i was on a nature kayak trip and came across one in some mangroves - the
tour guide was talking about the mangroves - i had webbed swimming gloves on and reached down and scooped him up so the guide could talk about it. we both told people "dont do this at home" that my glove was protecting me - after show and tell - i put him back and we went on our way - bout and hour later we stopped
for lunch - i pulled my gloves off and threw them in the bottom of the kayak so i could eat. Little did i know that a couple of its tentacles had broken off - maybe like an inch long and were stuck to the palm of my glove - when i tossed them it had hit my calve and it ended up giving me a small burn and got a rash - it lasted for awhile
people got to be real careful when they wash up on shore and are in the seaweed - ive seen some people step on them and yelled at kids playing with them

Not only that but the tentacles sometimes detach and drift unseen in the water. The stinging cells are still active and can remain so for several days. There's even a species of octopus which is immune to the venom and uses broken tentacles it has managed to grab as a weapon against its predators.

We get them over here too on our western coasts when there have been strong winds.

When I was a kid and we saw dead ones on the beach the words: "look, there's a jellyfish..." were always followed by the words "... let's find a stick".

As an aside, the man-o-war is not a jellyfish... it's a colonial hydrozoan.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At age 11 visiting my Grandparents in Del Ray Fla. snorkeling the breakwater line searching for sea shells my left hand got hit (never saw a thing in the water). Ran out of the water and looked at my finger saw about 1/2 inch of tentacle on it, I tried to scrap it off in the sand but that didn't help. So I plucked it off and got stung on my right hand finger! Well that Mother hurt really Bad! The venom moved up to my armpit attacking the glands and causing tremendous Pain! Felt like I broke my arm! The life guard suggested Meat tenderizer or to pee on it! He also said this happens when there is a prolonged west wind that will blow the(Portuguese) man-o-war on to east facing beaches. Once on the beach they break up from the surf! I'll never forget it cause my older brother went across the street to a Bar named Boston's and bought me my first beer!
Casper hope all is well (I'm not on face book)! Big Jim has kept me informed about the old crew of pirates and all the shenanigans! Maybe we all can hook up this July when I come to visit the Grey Lady!!:skullflag:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats why I always wear a thin suit when water hunting the only place I get stung is in da face

HHunderwater

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At age 11 visiting my Grandparents in Del Ray Fla. snorkeling the breakwater line searching for sea shells my left hand got hit (never saw a thing in the water). Ran out of the water and looked at my finger saw about 1/2 inch of tentacle on it, I tried to scrap it off in the sand but that didn't help. So I plucked it off and got stung on my right hand finger! Well that Mother hurt really Bad! The venom moved up to my armpit attacking the glands and causing tremendous Pain! Felt like I broke my arm! The life guard suggested Meat tenderizer or to pee on it! He also said this happens when there is a prolonged west wind that will blow the(Portuguese) man-o-war on to east facing beaches. Once on the beach they break up from the surf! I'll never forget it cause my older brother went across the street to a Bar named Boston's and bought me my first beer!
Casper hope all is well (I'm not on face book)! Big Jim has kept me informed about the old crew of pirates and all the shenanigans! Maybe we all can hook up this July when I come to visit the Grey Lady!!:skullflag:

Rinse with Vinegar and then hot water or heat pack for 45 minutes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread