🥇 BANNER 1732 8 reale pillar dollar from the 1733 fleet !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200614_002543.jpg
This piece was stuck to some rusted iron conglomerate but rang in at 31 on the nox. I was blown away when I saw the date of 1732 !! The absolute holy grail of milled 8 reales....the very first ones 1732 !! Very very very hard to come by. 20200614_111354.jpg I've been trying to find one of these for a long time and searching for them is one of my favorite past times.....if you look at my avatar you'll see a mint condition 1733 pillar dollar....another very rare and desirable year for these coins !! These coins were salvaged from the wrecks of the 1733 plate fleet disaster here in the keys. They were brought ashore to the survivor camps in the spanish salvage effort. This one was in about knee deep water with other olive jar shards rusted iron and even some shipwreck wood !! 20200614_145307.jpg I'm going slow with 10 foil boiling water and baking soda. Sadly this coin is badly beaten but surprisingly theres enough detail to see the date.....Unbelievable !! 20200614_111749.jpg 20200614_163624.jpg 20200614_163648.jpg
It started about 3 weeks ago with a cobb 8 that I got in a large clump of spikes and other rusted conglomerate the coin was in super rough condition and I had no idea it was in side this clump until I broke it apart a few days later. I had no machine at the time and it was pure luck.....but I swore to go back as soon as I got the Eqx back from warranty !! Man did this spot not disappoint !! Olive jar shards iron conglomerate and even some small ballast stone !! 20200614_171632.jpg 20200614_171716.jpg 20200614_171830.jpg
All the stuff in this pic came from the last few hunts.... the spanish stuff comes from one spot and the rest comes from a beach side wreckers camp from the mid 1800 -1920. I love seeing the sail grommets.....when I find them in large numbers it usually means a survivors camp from some wreck or another !! Check out this killer buckle I found yesterday too....its cloisonne and might have been a double buckle....not sure of age on that but I love it.....any other time that would have been my find of the day !! 20200613_195513.jpg 20200613_195453.jpg
Heres some shipwreck wood and a beautiful piece of pottery with a whole island scene on it 20200614_171604.jpg
I cant believe I got a 1732 pillar dollar.....never thought I'd scratch it off the bucket list !!
Good luck and happy hunting folks !!! WOOOO HOOO !!

http://www.keyshistory.org/IK-1733-wreck.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I cant believe I got a 1732 pillar dollar.....never thought I'd scratch it off the bucket list !!
Good luck and happy hunting folks !!! WOOOO HOOO !!

IK 1733 Fleet Wreck

That is a very detailed report. In it is:” Two survivors' camps were organized, and two forts of four cannon each were built to protect the treasure that divers began to recover.”

Have those camps/forts been discovered?

Happy Hunting!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very detailed report. In it is:” Two survivors' camps were organized, and two forts of four cannon each were built to protect the treasure that divers began to recover.”

Happy Hunting!

This is one 1715 'survivor camp' location >>> 393.JPG

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Happy Hunting!

Yes sir FloridaSon....not only those 2 but several others as well that include the raft beaching locations from the el infante witch i have zeroed in on through treasure finds by others. I belive there were multiple survivors camps that are not documented or known of but by a few of us locals who have really figured it out by our own finds and discoveries. Pretty soon you put 2+2 together and go....OH WOW...this is where some survivors came ashore from this disaster !! I have had great success not focusing on the wreck sites them selves...but by looking on land where the survivors struggled ashore, where the salvagers stored the treasure, and where the smugglers and cheaters hid it. Also the beaches, flats, and rocky shorelines collected a great amount of ships rigging and personal baggage. Growing up here and understanding the prevailing winds and tides has helped me track and predict where wreckage and survivors ended up from many of the wrecks. This year was big for me....the deeper I've got into this the more astounding the discoveries get. So much has yet to be found from this disaster and many other wrecks from other time periods as well.....the keys has many treasures to give up yet.....all this salvage of spanish treasure started here in the keys many years ago in the 40s50s.....much is yet to come !! I hope.....I search....and sometimes I find !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry,silly me,You guys are talking 1733...and I'm thinking 1715 :icon_scratch:

There are a couple other spots up there too roger....time for me to get back up there for a hunt or 2 also !!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a couple other spots up there too roger....time for me to get back up there for a hunt or 2 also !!

Yeah had a blast there,can't believe it was a year ago already

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak Bart..I Over and over enjoy stopping here to re read this post,,Heh I’m hearing the Gulf Stream might be pushing some treasure my way,,Yes how cool, and in the Hudson River Up here during the Rev.War they placed a iron chain in the water to stop the British ships from advancing after they burned Kingston down when it was the state capital,Perhaps some of the cargo may still be around,,HH my friend..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread