🥇 BANNER 1732 8 reale pillar dollar from the 1733 fleet !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200614_002543.jpg
This piece was stuck to some rusted iron conglomerate but rang in at 31 on the nox. I was blown away when I saw the date of 1732 !! The absolute holy grail of milled 8 reales....the very first ones 1732 !! Very very very hard to come by. 20200614_111354.jpg I've been trying to find one of these for a long time and searching for them is one of my favorite past times.....if you look at my avatar you'll see a mint condition 1733 pillar dollar....another very rare and desirable year for these coins !! These coins were salvaged from the wrecks of the 1733 plate fleet disaster here in the keys. They were brought ashore to the survivor camps in the spanish salvage effort. This one was in about knee deep water with other olive jar shards rusted iron and even some shipwreck wood !! 20200614_145307.jpg I'm going slow with 10 foil boiling water and baking soda. Sadly this coin is badly beaten but surprisingly theres enough detail to see the date.....Unbelievable !! 20200614_111749.jpg 20200614_163624.jpg 20200614_163648.jpg
It started about 3 weeks ago with a cobb 8 that I got in a large clump of spikes and other rusted conglomerate the coin was in super rough condition and I had no idea it was in side this clump until I broke it apart a few days later. I had no machine at the time and it was pure luck.....but I swore to go back as soon as I got the Eqx back from warranty !! Man did this spot not disappoint !! Olive jar shards iron conglomerate and even some small ballast stone !! 20200614_171632.jpg 20200614_171716.jpg 20200614_171830.jpg
All the stuff in this pic came from the last few hunts.... the spanish stuff comes from one spot and the rest comes from a beach side wreckers camp from the mid 1800 -1920. I love seeing the sail grommets.....when I find them in large numbers it usually means a survivors camp from some wreck or another !! Check out this killer buckle I found yesterday too....its cloisonne and might have been a double buckle....not sure of age on that but I love it.....any other time that would have been my find of the day !! 20200613_195513.jpg 20200613_195453.jpg
Heres some shipwreck wood and a beautiful piece of pottery with a whole island scene on it 20200614_171604.jpg
I cant believe I got a 1732 pillar dollar.....never thought I'd scratch it off the bucket list !!
Good luck and happy hunting folks !!! WOOOO HOOO !!

http://www.keyshistory.org/IK-1733-wreck.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are some great finds and alot of hard work looking for a good spot like that thanks for the wonderful pictures. wow thats alot of swinging congrats

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dream find! My vote is in! :icon_thumleft:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Man! What a fantastic find! Super Congrats... and thanks for sharing with us! And... it wasn't your only great find! :treasurechest: :hello2:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Man! What a fantastic find! Super Congrats... and thanks for sharing with us! And... it wasn't your only great find! :treasurechest: :hello2:

Thank you arfieboy .... I'm lucky we have galleons in our back yards down here...once in awhile someone gets a coin !! Happy hunting bud !

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200615_205800.jpg the stain is coming out with a combination of tooth picking and alternating baking soda, boiling water, and tinfoil. 20200615_193553.jpg
Sheild side is clean but that stain on the date side is stubborn I'll have to take the coin back to white and let it re patina....the iron protected it more here and it's a bit thicker there. This is not a specimen coin from some other major collectors collection....this is a piece of sea salvaged treasure that would be best mounted in bright condition !! This coin has the provenance of the entire 1733 disaster story I gave a link to in my first post......its an awsome historical narrative ( true story) !!

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, why was I so disappointed when the Treasure Hunters Rendevous was cancelled due to the virus? Simply cannot wait until I do manage to get to Barts part of the coast and try my luck.

The coin you found is not to be viewed as awesome or banner worthy.

It is far above and beyond that !!

My banner vote is in also.

Nice find!

RJGMC

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beauty Bart and is cleaning up nicely :icon_thumright: I already voted "banner" on your original post, but just in case the "banner votes" are calculated when posted on a thread dedicated to that item, I am submitting "banner" and the moderators can take it from there.

And here you felt you were being WATCHED ............now you have good reason to feel that.

Just be careful and safe buddy 8-) :notworthy:.

Last edited:

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MR. BB Thank you for fine recovery! I must drop my two cents.................Banner and Banner! History found!
Is it just me........ or dose Beach and Shallow Water hunters get snubbed on Banner finds? :skullflag:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted banner too right after my post. Hard to believe that one wouldn't be considered.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A banner vote for sure! That's worthy of a banner if ever I saw one. Terrific find. Congratulations Blak Bart. Stay the course, there's more out there. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, why was I so disappointed when the Treasure Hunters Rendevous was cancelled due to the virus? Simply cannot wait until I do manage to get to Barts part of the coast and try my luck.

The coin you found is not to be viewed as awesome or banner worthy.

It is far above and beyond that !!

My banner vote is in also.

Nice find!

RJGMC
Thank you RJGMC.....it is quite an honor to recover it, and one heck of a piece of history !! Good luck and happy hunting RJGMC !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I see you started a thread for this one... I was wondering if you were gonna or not.... glad ya did...

Not everyone on TreasureNet is hip to posts in the Random Chat Thread first.... and this needed some attention outside the RCT...

AND...

Is as I stated there... worthy of a banner :)

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty Bart and is cleaning up nicely :icon_thumright: I already voted "banner" on your original post, but just in case the "banner votes" are calculated when posted on a thread dedicated to that item, I am submitting "banner" and the moderators can take it from there.

And here you felt you were being WATCHED ............now you have good reason to feel that.

Just be careful and safe buddy 8-) :notworthy:.

Wooo hoooo simon.....I'm so excited....thank you for the vote my friend !! There could be more my friend....so far for me this has been a great year, even with all this covid 19 really messing up my hunting !! I havnt got out as much but the hunts have been more productive. Looks like I'll be heading back to the bahamas shortly and recovering our gear and finds from my pre quarantine adventures. One thing is for certain...the big chunks of fused conglomerate have produced silver for me like no other time before...didnt matter if found these rusty chunks in the bahamas or at home here in the keys...these chunks have been great and I will continue to search them out !! Wooo hooo simon I'm a happy man !!

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks steve.....the secret is the wrecks held very little treasure for modern salvors. Every one and there mother have been out there looking around those wrecks. The spanish brought all the treasure to the salvage camps on the beach. There was 12 million pesos of registered treasure on board these ships. That means that this treasure had to be dove up and loaded on boats and then brought to the camps each day. How do you unload a boat on the primitive beaches of the keys. The small boats loaded with treasure would have had to unload in waist deep water and walk these heavy loads to shore. Sometimes this may have been more than 100 yards to walk the heavy crates of silver to the beach. Anyone who has tried to walk a cross the flats knows that you will sink to your knees in the muck. The treasure is in the shallows where they loaded and unloaded this treasure.....basically I'm working the treasure spills from this salvage work. After they salvaged much more than was listed these spills and smuggled stashes of silver were left where they lay....for guys like us to find. So....the treasure is in and around the beaches and camps where these survivors and salvors came ashore. 1 or 2 broken open chests and sacks and there are hundreds of lost cobbs every time it happened. It had to be a struggle to get these treasures ashore by the means used in 1733-34. There were no docks !!

Makes sense, keys beaches are not your typical sandy beach

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MR. BB Thank you for fine recovery! I must drop my two cents.................Banner and Banner! History found!
Is it just me........ or dose Beach and Shallow Water hunters get snubbed on Banner finds? :skullflag:

Thank you for your vote surfnturf !! I thought about posting it in today's finds....but...this has to be one of my all time greatest shallow water finds !! What a roller coaster ride 2020 has been for me....heck all of us for that matter...good luck and happy hunting surfnturf !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted banner too right after my post. Hard to believe that one wouldn't be considered.

Thanks smallfoot....you know me...just trying to make the flawda boys proud !! Happy hunting and good luck smallfoot !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions