Carbon Fiber Scoop Handle Length?

Kevin W

Greenie
Oct 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to replace the ash handle that I am currently using in my T-Rex scoop with a carbon fiber handle. I am 6' tall, and my current ash handle is approx. 42". I can get either a 46" or 54" carbon fiber handle, but I am not sure which would be better in the water. At MOST, I would hunt in waist to chest deep, but more so towards the shallows. Is there an advantage to a 54" handle - perhaps leverage? I am not sure if the extra length would help or hurt... Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i always use a scoop or shovel to help me get off my knees,so i would go with one that worked best for that.:tongue3:
brad

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're comfortable with your 42, go with the 46.
For more leverage the 54 is better.
There's little weight difference between the two.
If there's not much price difference, go with the 54, you could cut to comfortable length, if it's too long.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 5' 10" tall and find the 46" one more than long enough. I think a 54" long would be too long for me to use without it being awkward. When I head to the beach, I usually put the scoop in the front passenger seat area. 54" would be too long for my vehicle to easily get it in the door....another thing to consider depending on where you like to carry it. In my other vehicle, it barely fits in the trunk with the 46" handle.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought one of those "Stealth" 920ix scoops = a great piece of work - 6 years on now....

For a handle, I went to Lowes and picked up a 54" long post hole digger handle - less than $15. Yeah, it's heavier than a carbon fiber shaft - but it floats upright in the water, so it's always there.

To each his/her own......

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
46" is usually good for most all diggin. For me, the 54" would only be used for when i'm out chin deep on tip toes, diggin deepies in the soft sand areas. Used to opt for 50", but over the years preferred a length that was a couple or few inches under the arm pit when standing and had scoop on its tip. Handier when using. I'm 6'3"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread