Sensitivity and small targets?

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Another newbie question...
Im still trying to learn the finer points of the hobby. Ive logged in 20hrs or so on local saltwater beaches and find tgat i am spending a lot of time digging small targets... tiny copper nails, little pieces of pull tabs etc. I know tge key to finding gold is to dig the lower tones, but should i turn my sensitivity down to avoid these targets? Or would i miss too much small gold like earings etc? Its not like the beaches are super trashy, im just trying to become a little more efficient. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Nox800, Beach1, recovery 5, sensitivity 20

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you want to be efficient ? dig it all ...nuff said

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Don’t turn down your sensitivity, you will comprise depth. When you eliminate unwanted targets you eliminate wanted targets. Like Casper said.. dig it all, you will get rewarded.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learn to notch out certain targets/numbers. "Small" gold is a fool's errand. I want rings, earrings, bracelets and necklaces, forget about studs. Continue to learn the machine's language. :occasion14:

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Most of that small stuff is just below the surface and gives a shorter duration signal. If your in the wet sand just give it a quick dig/kick with your foot and smooth it out. Usually if I can’t see it I move on. With a little more time you’ll realize what your really after lies deeper and has a more robust audio tone. Like Casper says though any doubt dig it all!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come Terry ...you dont want to look for gold earring backs all day? ...they're out there :tongue3:

Learn to notch out certain targets/numbers. "Small" gold is a fool's errand. I want rings, earrings, bracelets and necklaces, forget about studs. Continue to learn the machine's language. :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just dig it all. One of those "iffy" signals for me was a small gold coin once at a salt water beach. I do not notch. On my machine I can generally tell aluminum from gold, but I still dig it all. So far I haven't "lost" any gold targets, but there's a first time.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you get a weird signal or real iffy one - just take a few seconds like Ron says - give it a kick or a quick scoop
how much time does it take - a few seconds ...a minute ..it can be worth it - ive gotten iffy ones and was gonna
walk on by and gave a quick scoop and gotten small chains or pieces of broken gold jewelry or other odd keepers
I wont dwell on an iffy target but worth a quick check - even large items - Ive seen guys say "its got to be a can"
and move on and ive gone over and gotten phones, cameras, toy cars and even a few huge silver medallions and chains
you never know

Most of that small stuff is just below the surface and gives a shorter duration signal. If your in the wet sand just give it a quick dig/kick with your foot and smooth it out. Usually if I can’t see it I move on. With a little more time you’ll realize what your really after lies deeper and has a more robust audio tone. Like Casper says though any doubt dig it all!

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all! Especially in the wet sand. Gold chains often read 1-3 on the Nox, same as foil. Dry sand you can learn to discriminate, especially in trashy areas

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you want to find gold, you must dig it all at the beach. I believe it to be the only way.:icon_thumleft:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another newbie question...
Im still trying to learn the finer points of the hobby. Ive logged in 20hrs or so on local saltwater beaches and find tgat i am spending a lot of time digging small targets... tiny copper nails, little pieces of pull tabs etc. I know tge key to finding gold is to dig the lower tones, but should i turn my sensitivity down to avoid these targets? Or would i miss too much small gold like earings etc? Its not like the beaches are super trashy, im just trying to become a little more efficient. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Nox800, Beach1, recovery 5, sensitivity 20

That's my typical initial settings too, although I usually use Park 1 in the dry. If you don't want to miss ANY gold or platinum, you need to dig all non-ferrous readings. In the dry, it really doesn't take much effort to make a recovery.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On the Nox, gold can range from 3 to 24 or so from personal experience. Also heard of small gold finds in the 1-2 range using Beach 1. Generally speaking, the larger the gold weight the larger the VID number (positive correlation). AND, it is not at all easy to find gold on the beach regardless of what you see or read on sites like this one. To work a beach you have to have a sand scoop and dig all targets. Don't be surprised if it takes 60 - 120 hrs of beach hunting to find your first piece of gold, if your lucky! Experience holds the key to success. I have meet plenty of MDers on the beach who have never found a gold ring! Ya know you're getting close when you find silver.

Gold - 21
Silver 34

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread