Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I went to a local lake beach for a little water hunting.I arrived at the beach already dressed in my wetsuit,grabbed my gear and stepped into the water.A few minutes later while I'm standing in water up to my neck I hear, "You ok ?". I turned around and there stands on shore a State Trooper with a big grin on his face.He then explained that someone driving past on the nearby highway called 911 to report an old man with all of his clothes on had just walked into the lake.As soon as the Trooper saw me up close he knew what was up.But,he had no longer arrived when another Trooper showed up AND a DNR officer.Everyone had a good laugh that it was not a serious situation. I do thank the person who called it in as it could have saved someone from drowning himself---if that had been the case.

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Now that’s a good metal detecting story! That’s funny! I wonder if they would’ve phoned if a guy had his clothes “off”. Lol.

OP
OP
W

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iowamp,
I am sorry to say I didn't stay to long as the wind picked up and the waves were bouncing me up and down like a cork.Did get a quarter,a dime a penny and a piece of cheap jewelry and a Catholic medal.
By the way,Im in central IA

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an incident like that a couple years back. I was detecting in Lake Mickigan just off the beach. It was mid January in Wisconsin, temps were around zero, and I had to climb down about 4 feet of shore ice to access the water.
Wasn't real long, maybe a half hour, i hear shouting from shore through my headphones. I look up to find a couple cops waving me to shore.
I pack up and head in, and once i get up on to shore they see I'm in my full cold weather water gear. Asked if i was ok...yep. Am I cold? ... nope, but can see you officers are shivering.
They said someone called reporting a guy swimming in the lake heading away from shore. Nope, not even close. But explained about my detecting and my thermal gear, insulated waders, insulated neoprene gauntlet gloves, etc. Then the other cops showed up and once explained they all had a laugh and probably thought I was nuts.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far away was the highway that they could tell you were old? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions