Sunspot/Stealth Scoop - POSITIVE experience

ScoopRattler

May 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to report a positive experience I just had with Sunspot/Stealth scoops...

A couple of weeks ago I sent my 5-year old Stealth 720i scoop to Sunspot for a repair under the lifetime warranty. After dropping $60 at the post office on a Monday morning, the scoop was on its way from FL to CA where it arrived at Sunspot the following Tuesday afternoon (yes, over a one week journey by USPS standard shipping). Betty at Sunspot and her engineer evaluated my scoop and determined that a replacement was a better option than a repair. My new scoop was shipped on Thursday by USPS priority mail and arrived at my door less than 48 hours later at noon on Saturday!!! I am impressed and I am thankful for the way Sunspot stood behind their product, warranty, and customer and for the super quick turnaround.

On another matter, I recently purchased a carbon fiber handle for this scoop from Sunspot. Unfortunately however, I received one of the carbon fiber handles that another TNet member described in a previous post. The handles were manufactured where the "fish scale" feature of the handle runs in the wrong direction. This makes the handle quite slippery in water rather than providing the fish scale grip. I spoke to Betty at Sunspot about this and she assured me the situation was being resolved. She gave me two options, one for a quicker fix if I needed it:
1. Send in the defective scoop and they will reverse the handle by grinding a new connection to the scoop and adding a rubber grip over the other end.
2. Wait a few weeks for the new carbon fiber handles to arrive.

I opted to wait for the new handle and, based on my scoop experience, I am confident that Betty and Sunspot will deliver. I will update this post with what I expect to be more good news when the carbon fiber handle problem is resolved.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've the Stealth 920ix. I opted for a post hole digger shaft.

Floats upright in the water, cost less than $20.

And it is still there right with me, strong as heck. Of course it's heavier when I'm out of the water, but floats upright when I'm in the water.

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
I want to report a positive experience I just had with Sunspot/Stealth scoops...

A couple of weeks ago I sent my 5-year old Stealth 720i scoop to Sunspot for a repair under the lifetime warranty. After dropping $60 at the post office on a Monday morning, the scoop was on its way from FL to CA where it arrived at Sunspot the following Tuesday afternoon (yes, over a one week journey by USPS standard shipping). Betty at Sunspot and her engineer evaluated my scoop and determined that a replacement was a better option than a repair. My new scoop was shipped on Thursday by USPS priority mail and arrived at my door less than 48 hours later at noon on Saturday!!! I am impressed and I am thankful for the way Sunspot stood behind their product, warranty, and customer and for the super quick turnaround.

BEWARE and ask questions.

I recall a post about some one who sent his scoop in like you did got a new one like you did.
time passed his scoop was bent and cracked again, if I recall right he sent it in and there was something to the effect that if they can not fix it they will not send a 2nd new scoop. So the lifetime warranty was over.

you may want to treat this 2nd one better to make it last.

Maybe someone can find the post.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a minor repair, I just have a local welder fix it. Cheaper than the cost of shipping and I don't have wait to use it again.

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
The Life Time warranty is only good on the original scoop. The replacement is not. Basically, you can only return it once.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lifetime of the warranty refers to the period of time in which the warranty remains in force, starting from the date the purchaser buys the product. The lifetime in question is rarely the lifetime of the purchaser, but rather the length of time the manufacturer continues to make the product. Once a product is discontinued, the length of time the manufacturer remains liable under the warranty is specified in the warranty documentation.

This means if they discontinue the product by introducing a new model to replace it the old model is out of lifetime warranty.
A little trick the big boys use to get you to feel good about a purchase then they eliminate the liability buy rolling out a new model with another lifetime warranty. Then the cycle continues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread