Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. It's easy to use and I really like it.
Problem that I've been having is for some unknown reason, the thing will start chirping non stop for 15 secs to 15 minutes. Then be absolutely quiet for same amount of time unless a target is hit. So quiet, I sometimes have to run it against my scoop to make sure the batts are still good. When it's squawking, It's so annoying I want to chuck it. It only has three knobs. Vol. (I turn it up to hear the deep signals), Disc. (I turn if off to dig everything in the water, and Sens. (I like it high around 8 of 10). Same thing happens in fresh or salt water, so salt isn't the issue. Also happens in the water or out. It's not falsing like when I bump a stone, it's just non-stop. Sometimes if I just don't move it for a minute, it will quiet down. I've turned it off, then back on with some success.
Turning down Sens doesn't help with the squawking until it's around 3, then it won't hit on anything unless it's right on the surface. And really the squawking doesn't stop, it's just quieter. I have nothing to compare it to, so was wondering if this happens with other brands. My DP is pretty simple, no learning curve to really mention, and I've out hunted a friend a couple times with his Excal and 800. It's loud when a target is hit. It's just the random squawking that I don't understand.
Any ideas?

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you have a small crack in coil or cord

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a crack, would the squawking stop after it got wet? And wouldn't water stay in the cord and always be wet? I'll look it over as best as I can. Thanks.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my cz20 did similar things - it had a crack in wire where it went into the coil
when i swung it was a fine crack and would expose wire just enough and squawk and then go silent
when i stopped hunting it would dry out and i could go in again and then it would happen again
after bout an hr

finseeker

Sep 11, 2018
West coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. It's easy to use and I really like it.
Problem that I've been having is for some unknown reason, the thing will start chirping non stop for 15 secs to 15 minutes. Then be absolutely quiet for same amount of time unless a target is hit. So quiet, I sometimes have to run it against my scoop to make sure the batts are still good. When it's squawking, It's so annoying I want to chuck it. It only has three knobs. Vol. (I turn it up to hear the deep signals), Disc. (I turn if off to dig everything in the water, and Sens. (I like it high around 8 of 10). Same thing happens in fresh or salt water, so salt isn't the issue. Also happens in the water or out. It's not falsing like when I bump a stone, it's just non-stop. Sometimes if I just don't move it for a minute, it will quiet down. I've turned it off, then back on with some success.
Turning down Sens doesn't help with the squawking until it's around 3, then it won't hit on anything unless it's right on the surface. And really the squawking doesn't stop, it's just quieter. I have nothing to compare it to, so was wondering if this happens with other brands. My DP is pretty simple, no learning curve to really mention, and I've out hunted a friend a couple times with his Excal and 800. It's loud when a target is hit. It's just the random squawking that I don't understand.
Any ideas?
Are you carrying a cell phone. I know i have to put mine in airplane mode or my Equinox will do exactlly as you discribe.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you carrying a cell phone. I know i have to put mine in airplane mode or my Equinox will do exactlly as you discribe.
Hahaha, no. I don't think my flip phone would do to well in water. But, that's kinda what it sounds like, interference. If it happened at just one place I'd say interference was plausible, but it's everywhere I go. I'm thinking Casper is right, because I don't recall it happening on dry ground, just in the water.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
You might want to try to clean out the coil cover if it’s loaded with sand it can cause what your experiencing

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1K, not that either. No coil cover.

Casper, how did you fix yours? Send it in for repairs or seal it yourself?

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went over the coil and cable with a magnifying glass. No cracks in the cable, but I found what appears to be a pinhole on top of coil. I'm going to seal it and see if that helps.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, my Tiger Shark had a small crack in the coil and it would cluck like a hen after getting in the water. Sprayed a whole can of Flex-seal on it...back in business with issue solved.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have a coil cover, but I did put some pink duct tape on the coil last year to see it better. So, I thought maybe the tape caught something metal. Pulled it all off and didn't find anything but a few grains of sand.
So, I cleaned it well and took nifflers advice and sprayed two coats of flex seal on the whole coil. I can't imaging putting the whole can on it, LOL. I couldn't find yellow, so I used white. Waiting for second coat to cure and will try to get back into the water either tomorrow or Friday. Hope it works.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got back in the water for a test run. Thanks niffler for the flex seal advice. It's never been so quiet for an entire outing. That little pinhole must have been the problem. Plus, I used white and that made the coil very visible in the murky water. Only found 5 coins (all cents) and a bunch of iron on the downstream side of a local bridge, but it was a joy to not hear all the squawking.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions