I have my detecting gear packed to go to this exact beach

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry, I hear the Equinox emits a frequency that repels sharks.

mmabel1212

Jul 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a fact that you will find gold on the beach. How long have you been searching for gold?
It's very impressive that your family supports you.: Hello2:

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats why you wear a mask when detecting so you can see cool stuff like that

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry, I hear the Equinox emits a frequency that repels sharks.

i do mostly underwater hunting
actually most machines will attract them - so hope you were kidding
someone could get hurt if they believe you

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i dont believe that any one or group actually took examples of different brands of detectors
and tested them in a shark tank - Ive been in the water for 25 yrs and and have seen them come in
and have friends in Fla. that say the same
one... they definitely attract fish both salt and fresh water ones
and when the fish gather - some times the sharks are attracted to the fish
two - Ive been in Fla. and mexico where my machines had sharks come to my coil and sting rays also
no digging - just swinging - especially pulse machines
"Sharks also have a very acute sense of hearing. Research suggests they can hear low pitch sounds well below the range of human hearing. Sharks may track sounds over many miles"

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry Casper, I was just joking because so many say the Nox is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personally I think the fish and/or sharks are attracted to you! No, really I don't think the detectors attract fish, more likely people detecting are stirring up bottom releasing tiny organisms that are sensed by the fish. Just standing in water fish come to check people without detectors out. I've been bumped and checked out many times by fish in fresh or saltwater when not using a detector. Even walking in the water can release larva and eggs into the water which will attract fish. Maybe sharks have checked out your coil but maybe they just see it well rather than hear it, once they have followed the scent of disturbed bottom.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been detecting since 1975 - neevr heard of this guy Cory
I know a guy that was finding gold coins on a Calif. wreck yrs ago
great whites came in after he hunted for a short while each time - bout the 6 time out - one got him
so his machine did not scare them away
I know others that have had close encounters too - met a guy at a Ct. bch yrs ago
said he used to live in Clearwater area and "USED" to detect in water - he was hunting
waist deep and all of a sudden lifeguard and others were screaming from shore - "shark!"
as he truned toward them - something ripped his long handled scoop from his hand and took off with it
After crapping his pants (which i think will scare them away) he practically walked (ran) on water
to get in - Life guards said he could see dorsal fin and tail fin and it was a good size one
Ive heard other stories over the yrs too
Have seen professional treasure hunters vids where sharks were hanging around
too - so dont know where he got his info - I dont believe he did any research himself
now magnetometers I think make a knocking sound underwater and may disturb them
but we are talking MD'ers
Tthink of this - if they did repel sharks - then Why hasnt someone made a mini box that
has the same circuitry as a detector - for divers to wear :icon_scratch:
or large buoys with large boxes with detector circuitry to place in swimming areas
like off Australia's beaches as well as a lot of ours - who ever develops one would be rich world wide
Ive had fishermen get po'ed when Im in the water and say Im scaring all them fish away
both in fresh and salt and had them yell at me - Ive told a few guys to cast near me cause there was
a ton around me - that my coil was attracting them - I thought yrs ago (in the 90s) of placing
one of my old PIs way out on the bottom and leaving it on - (batteries last long time in old PIs)
trying to see if it could be used as a fish attracter and if so - i could sell the idea :tongue3:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This other guy says article says in repels them - then why would they check out my coil
Ive had fish come in to me where it is "dead sand - sand brought in that has been treated - nothing grows in it
but 20 yards out here is a drop off with natural soil - fish will come up from the depths and hang around my coil still
I usually suspend my coil just off the bottom and fish will stay with me most times even if im not scooping
Ive witnessed this for long time - I always wear a mask when water hunting - ive had friends mention the same
and i have a lot of water hunting friends up and down the east coast

Don't worry Casper, I was just joking because so many say the Nox is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personally I think the fish and/or sharks are attracted to you! No, really I don't think the detectors attract fish, more likely people detecting are stirring up bottom releasing tiny organisms that are sensed by the fish. Just standing in water fish come to check people without detectors out. I've been bumped and checked out many times by fish in fresh or saltwater when not using a detector. Even walking in the water can release larva and eggs into the water which will attract fish. Maybe sharks have checked out your coil but maybe they just see it well rather than hear it, once they have followed the scent of disturbed bottom.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, I was joking. But, conversely if a PI is such a good fish attractor one would think somebody would make a PI box that could be cast out by fishermen to bring fish in which would also make millions for the inventor.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, I was joking. But, conversely if a PI is such a good fish attractor one would think somebody would make a PI box that could be cast out by fishermen to bring fish in which would also make millions for the inventor.

I mentioned that above - but like 20 yrs ago i mentioned that idea to some charter boat captains and they laughed
I will tell you this and you can believe it or not - in 1980 I came in 2nd place in a science fair
My project was on windmills for power around the world - just like the ones they have now
I had models of a 1700 one - 1800 one and 1900 one and drawings similar to those out
there now - i won 2nd cause of my knowledge and for content of my subject - not cause of the
great idea - all the judges actually thought it was silly and it would never be practical - look at it now
I went to Portugal in 1999 and they had them being built along mountain ranges outside of Lisbon
and I could not believe it and once other countries saw the idea working now they are all
over :BangHead:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another idea had years ago which i think is feasible
maybe someone here will have more knowledge
recently supposely 2 very large nuggets were found in Australia
Ive been in hobby long time and have seen huge nuggets found there over the yrs
many were right on or just under the surface -
My idea was to get a heat sensitive viewer or camera (which ive seen used
over the last few yrs for other projects) Australia gets very hot in the
outback - with the sun beating down - i would think gold as well as any other metal out there
would heat up and if you flew over with a helicopter or now a days some drones
that nuggets would stand out as the trees, bushes and earth cooled after sunset
you could mark coordinates and possibly cherry pick them
they actually might be doing that now and hiding it from others
but I thought of this like 25 yrs ago

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this one was filmed by my wife and kid in about 5-6 feet of water. The Spanish galleon "Chavez" 1733 is a half mile off shore. The Islamorada sandbar is just inshore too !!

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this one was filmed by my wife and kid in about 5-6 feet of water. The Spanish galleon "Chavez" 1733 is a half mile off shore. The Islamorada sandbar is just inshore too !!

Another ho hum day in the Keys:occasion14:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unless your heads in the sand digging !! LOL !!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper I do not disagree with your observation. Sharks are amazing creatures .
One thing I do know is that they are triggered by many things.

Here are some observations that are associated with catching the attention of sharks that are also associated with a water metal Detectorist .

Wearing Brightly Colored Clothes

Sharks are long known to be easily attracted to bright colors. In their own thinking capacities, they relate brighter things to their meals. In the same way, pieces of jewelry and reflective or sparkly attire are discouraged because they also create an attraction to sharks. If you want to keep away from sharks, avoid bright colors and shiny attire when in the water.

Water Splashing

It has been long known by experts like scientists, the marines, and other groups that swimmers should avoid excessive splashing in the water while paddling, surfing, or skiing. The idea is to avoid potentially alerting sharks on your location because they are very attracted to large, and loud, splashes of water. Water splashing tells the shark that there is possibly the presence of an injured creature struggling in the water. This makes them believe that it is an easy catch for a meal—and they would be right.

It is possible that factors other then the metal detector Alone attract these creatures. Factors that line up perfectly with the definition of things that beach metal Detectorist do.

Cheers and thank you for all of your awesome input in our community.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread