Excal falsing

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a Excal II that's about 10 years old. It has OBN's remote PP switch, Bart's Blaster's headphones and a 10" tornado coil. These are not new mods. I switched batteries but that's not the problem. I'm kinda scared to send it to Minelab with the mods in fear it'll never be the same. It', by far, my favorite detector. Any ideas what it might be?...Ed

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a first guess would be the coil, cable or coil itself has leaked. I would flip the pod over and check it for water droplets in the tube right away to make sure a O-ring has not failed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need someone to repair it, and don't want to send it to Minelab, PM me and I'll get you in touch with the guy who does my mods.

OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
If you need someone to repair it, and don't want to send it to Minelab, PM me and I'll get you in touch with the guy who does my mods.

I appreciate that cudamark but I'll probably send it to Minelab and have them give it a thorough exam and replace the o-rings. The guy I would really like to work on it is retired now and is too busy finding lots of gold. LOL. Thanks again pal. ...Ed

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda's guy can do all the necessary work like replacing the ring seals. I don't think Minelab will touch a modified machine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the guys here know him anyway.....Tony Eisenhower.......He builds lots of different headphones too.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cuda's guy can do all the necessary work like replacing the ring seals. I don't think Minelab will touch a modified machine.

They will take care of it no problem. I helped them when they first started doing Mods a few years ago, they even came up with a better push button then the toggle I used.

Just call in to Minelab and tell you have a excalibur that is falsing. Don't say a word about the mods, they will have you send to PA. Where the repair center is..once there they will evaluate and give you a call. They are fast... Keith is a good guy and loves detecting...the owner of the repair center.

OBN0015.jpg

OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
They will take care of it no problem. I helped them when they first started doing Mods a few years ago, they even came up with a better push button then the toggle I used.

Just call in to Minelab and tell you have a excalibur that is falsing. Don't say a word about the mods, they will have you send to PA. Where the repair center is..once there they will evaluate and give you a call. They are fast... Keith is a good guy and loves detecting...the owner of the repair center.

View attachment 1850731
Thanks Joe. You would always be my first choice though

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm sounds just like my 10+ yr old excal. Seems almost ok on land at first n then slowly goes bonkers once its been on for about 1/2 hr. or on wet sand or near the water. I sent it in to Minelab where they said it needed a new coil. i thought that was pretty unlikely since it had a new coil but figured they'd know what they are doing. Now after paying $300+ its a fancy paperweight with a new coil. I tested it on land when I got it back and it almost seemed to be working but as soon as it warms up or I get it to the beach its bonkers. No water inside, cables are fine, everything replaced. It goes crazy when dry even. I miss her but she makes me mad. I meant to look up OBN to take a look here in Maryland. Maybe one day but I can't keep spending money on it with no result. Other machines just can't replace her.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
My old excal started acting up this season, I did three things but not sure what fixed my problem. Neatened up the coil cable and secured it better than I had it. Removed the rubber seal between the battery and connector, it was dirtier than it looked and I think salt water got in, applied a light coat of dielectric grease and put it back. Last thing was removed my coil protector and cleaned the coil. The cover was packed with dirt and sand, around here that means iron particles. I haven't put the protector back on yet but will later. I'm not sure what fixed it but I've used it 6 or more times and its like a new machine. Its not going to cost anything to try and it should take 20 minutes, good luck

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
So did you ever get it fixed and working ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread