Water scoop recommendations for creek detecting?

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got my XP Orx ready for creek detecting with the water kit. I want to detect shallow creeks with small rock beds in areas of colonial history. Right now I only have the low Garrett beach scoop. I’m looking for a good quality scoop with a medium length handle or detachable or telescopic pole and a scoop that will hold up to small rocks.
Don’t want to spend too much on it as in under $100 for sure. Thanks for suggestions

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how big and tightly packed the rocks are, another option would be to use a turf digging shovel and pin pointer.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my XP Orx ready for creek detecting with the water kit. I want to detect shallow creeks with small rock beds in areas of colonial history. Right now I only have the low Garrett beach scoop. I’m looking for a good quality scoop with a medium length handle or detachable or telescopic pole and a scoop that will hold up to small rocks.
Don’t want to spend too much on it as in under $100 for sure. Thanks for suggestions

I might suggest a shovel first and see what your up against...like cudamark suggested

I've hunted up around the Delaware river and spots in the Northern part of the Chesapeake bay and if the rocks have any size to them it takes a shovel or a good quality scoop to get in there without breaking it. Pea gravel a regular scoop will work but those 4 to 8 inch stones get packed and its really tough getting into them.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A shovel does make more sense. I have a lightweight somewhat pointed and somewhat concave that would work. If I don’t see the target in it and the detector indicates it’s out I can put the shovel contents( after tossing larger stones) into a plastic strainer and use the pinpointer to get the target. I suppose I’d usually just spot it in the shovel though.
Really good suggestion that didn’t occur to me. Thank you. Now I need to make a floating plastic sifter I can tether on me.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was thinking of using the 5.5 x 9 elliptical coil but could also use the 9” round. I haven’Thad a lot of luck in water but I want to keep at it till that changes. I know the goodies are in there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5.5 X 9 should have less water resistance and not lose much depth over the 9" round but with the same coverage. You're not going to use the Equinox?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how big and tightly packed the rocks are, another option would be to use a turf digging shovel and pin pointer.
This.... no creek near me is gonna let a scoop in

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Was thinking of using the 5.5 x 9 elliptical coil but could also use the 9” round. I haven’Thad a lot of luck in water but I want to keep at it till that changes. I know the goodies are in there.

For not being a dedicated water detector, the Orx is pretty darn awesome in the water. Ive only had the Orx just over a month now. I have the 9” HF round and it glides quite nicely through the surf. My 3rd time water hunting with the Orx and I nailed a 14k 6 grammer with 6 small diamonds. I was pretty stoked how fast and hard it hit on it. I love the Orx.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For not being a dedicated water detector, the Orx is pretty darn awesome in the water. Ive only had the Orx just over a month now. I have the 9” HF round and it glides quite nicely through the surf. My 3rd time water hunting with the Orx and I nailed a 14k 6 grammer with 6 small diamonds. I was pretty stoked how fast and hard it hit on it. I love the Orx.

I’ve seen your posts and it’s clear you’re sold on the Orx as am I. If I were near the beach I would have probably not sold my. Equinox but I’m sure the Orx is fine in salt water and on wet sand. I look forward to doing a lot more water hunting.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might suggest a shovel first and see what your up against...like cudamark suggested

I've hunted up around the Delaware river and spots in the Northern part of the Chesapeake bay and if the rocks have any size to them it takes a shovel or a good quality scoop to get in there without breaking it. Pea gravel a regular scoop will work but those 4 to 8 inch stones get packed and its really tough getting into them.

mask and snorkel - wear dive gloves - even in the shallows - drop down and fan - its easy to move rocks
attachment.php

attachment.php

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have the rtg with stainless tip too. one piece handle, this thing is over built and tough!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A shovel does make more sense. I have a lightweight somewhat pointed and somewhat concave that would work. If I don’t see the target in it and the detector indicates it’s out I can put the shovel contents( after tossing larger stones) into a plastic strainer and use the pinpointer to get the target. I suppose I’d usually just spot it in the shovel though.
Really good suggestion that didn’t occur to me. Thank you. Now I need to make a floating plastic sifter I can tether on me.

Pretty easy to make, this one I made from .25 dark plexiglas and PVC stuffed with and surrounded by pipe sleeves, use a surfboard tether strapped to my ankle, really handy [especially if you anticipate stones]

Attachments

• IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 37

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread