Water scoop recommendations for creek detecting?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Water scoop recommendations for creek detecting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2012
    Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
    Fisher f75 Teknetics Omega 8000 (Coming soon) Minelab Equinox 800 Have owned Minela b Safari and X terra 705
    1270 times
    All -- esp.Colonial

Water scoop recommendations for creek detecting?

I got my XP Orx ready for creek detecting with the water kit. I want to detect shallow creeks with small rock beds in areas of colonial history. Right now I only have the low Garrett beach scoop. Iím looking for a good quality scoop with a medium length handle or detachable or telescopic pole and a scoop that will hold up to small rocks.
    Donít want to spend too much on it as in under $100 for sure. Thanks for suggestions

Jul 2013
    1571 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    RTG scoops from Reillyís

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    25187 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishgoldhound View Post
    RTG scoops from Reilly’s
    Ditto! Stainless Steel, NOT aluminum, as the rocks will tear up the aluminum scoop nose in no time.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8943 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Depending on how big and tightly packed the rocks are, another option would be to use a turf digging shovel and pin pointer.
    ​Avitech Associate

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Maryland Waters
    "Excalibur".. "AQ" Impulse
    6271 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by relicmeister View Post
    I got my XP Orx ready for creek detecting with the water kit. I want to detect shallow creeks with small rock beds in areas of colonial history. Right now I only have the low Garrett beach scoop. Iím looking for a good quality scoop with a medium length handle or detachable or telescopic pole and a scoop that will hold up to small rocks.
    Donít want to spend too much on it as in under $100 for sure. Thanks for suggestions
    I might suggest a shovel first and see what your up against...like cudamark suggested

I've hunted up around the Delaware river and spots in the Northern part of the Chesapeake bay and if the rocks have any size to them it takes a shovel or a good quality scoop to get in there without breaking it. Pea gravel a regular scoop will work but those 4 to 8 inch stones get packed and its really tough getting into them.
    Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....78....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...127

us
    Jul 2012
    Fisher f75 Teknetics Omega 8000 (Coming soon) Minelab Equinox 800 Have owned Minela b Safari and X terra 705
    1270 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    A shovel does make more sense. I have a lightweight somewhat pointed and somewhat concave that would work. If I donít see the target in it and the detector indicates itís out I can put the shovel contents( after tossing larger stones) into a plastic strainer and use the pinpointer to get the target. I suppose Iíd usually just spot it in the shovel though.
    Really good suggestion that didnít occur to me. Thank you. Now I need to make a floating plastic sifter I can tether on me.

us
    Jul 2012
    1270 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    Was thinking of using the 5.5 x 9 elliptical coil but could also use the 9Ē round. I haveníThad a lot of luck in water but I want to keep at it till that changes. I know the goodies are in there.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8943 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    The 5.5 X 9 should have less water resistance and not lose much depth over the 9" round but with the same coverage. You're not going to use the Equinox?
    relicmeister likes this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    5554 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Depending on how big and tightly packed the rocks are, another option would be to use a turf digging shovel and pin pointer.
    This.... no creek near me is gonna let a scoop in
    relicmeister likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    1270 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    The 5.5 X 9 should have less water resistance and not lose much depth over the 9" round but with the same coverage. You're not going to use the Equinox?
    What I used when I had it but I decided to sell it. Needed funds to help family in need

Jul 2013
    1571 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by relicmeister View Post
    Was thinking of using the 5.5 x 9 elliptical coil but could also use the 9Ē round. I haveníThad a lot of luck in water but I want to keep at it till that changes. I know the goodies are in there.
    For not being a dedicated water detector, the Orx is pretty darn awesome in the water. Ive only had the Orx just over a month now. I have the 9Ē HF round and it glides quite nicely through the surf. My 3rd time water hunting with the Orx and I nailed a 14k 6 grammer with 6 small diamonds. I was pretty stoked how fast and hard it hit on it. I love the Orx.
    relicmeister likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    1270 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishgoldhound View Post
    For not being a dedicated water detector, the Orx is pretty darn awesome in the water. Ive only had the Orx just over a month now. I have the 9Ē HF round and it glides quite nicely through the surf. My 3rd time water hunting with the Orx and I nailed a 14k 6 grammer with 6 small diamonds. I was pretty stoked how fast and hard it hit on it. I love the Orx.
    Iíve seen your posts and itís clear youíre sold on the Orx as am I. If I were near the beach I would have probably not sold my. Equinox but Iím sure the Orx is fine in salt water and on wet sand. I look forward to doing a lot more water hunting.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17336 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Ditto! Stainless Steel, NOT aluminum, as the rocks will tear up the aluminum scoop nose in no time.
    get the RTG aluminum with the stainless lip - its what i use - and if you ever plan on taking on a plane
    get the travel model - its what I use
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6284356298/
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17336 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by OBN View Post
    I might suggest a shovel first and see what your up against...like cudamark suggested

I've hunted up around the Delaware river and spots in the Northern part of the Chesapeake bay and if the rocks have any size to them it takes a shovel or a good quality scoop to get in there without breaking it. Pea gravel a regular scoop will work but those 4 to 8 inch stones get packed and its really tough getting into them.
    mask and snorkel - wear dive gloves - even in the shallows - drop down and fan - its easy to move rocks

relicmeister likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    dirt sniffer

Apr 2017
    iowa
    Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
    631 times
    i have the rtg with stainless tip too. one piece handle, this thing is over built and tough!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links