Recommendations for My first metal detector for salt water beach use

Stoop14

Aug 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love on a island surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean in eastern Canada, my boys have been wanting a metal detector and I’ve given in lol, with all the tourist beaches I think that would be the best place for to go looking for jewelry/coins ecttt. What would be a good detector for dry and wet sand and maybe in a couple inches of salt water surf. I keep seeing ppl say the equinox 600 those are about 899$ Canadian. Not sure if I want to drop a 1000$ after taxes on one yet. So what do you veterans recommend? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Simple........ I would go Nox..

All it takes is one big gold..or Diamond.

Hard to believe I don't have one but if I hunted the ocean beach's it would be my first choice, for the out of the water machine.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectors that do well in salt are few and far in between and not cheap, more than likely Nox is the least expensive option.

[Nox because its multi freq, single freq detectors, which most are, are known to false like crazy in salt conditions]. AT Pro may be an exception, but I think its about the same cost as a nox.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go down to supporting vendors and look at what they have available.I checked Metal Detecting Stuff's website (the small red letters of their name) and the Nokta simplex might fit what you need, pretty much an entry level detector in the $250.00 range.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bad advice, simplex or any single freq detector will not fare well in salt

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to go to the beach if you are not going to detect dry and wet sand, need a multi freq detector, nox

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old Tesoro Cibola would do very well in wet sand. You just had to detune it a bit but a 10" or deeper coin was no biggie for it. They are inexpensive but Tesoro is now out of business. I have my 10 year old machine still with me and it works great. Never needed a repair.

Lots of folks like the multi frequency machines, but I found quite a lot of stuff with the basically turn in and go Cibola. Warranty would be the issue, but it you don't drop it in the ocean, I have never been able to break mine and it's seen hard use.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad advice, simplex or any single freq detector will not fare well in salt

I don't hunt the ocean I was just reading the description on the detector.That is why I suggested to the poster to go down to the supporting vendors and look around.He is trying to find an entry level machine.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they wouldn’t even work on dry sand, because of all the salt?

The few times I have gone to the coast I use my AT Gold in the dry sand and it works fine but it doesn't work good in wet sand.Sorry if I gave you bad advice I was just trying to find something in a better price range for you.Just in case your kids decide they don't like detecting you wouldn't be out a lot of money.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you're going to a salt water beach...sand or surf hunting, the multi frequency Equinox (600 or 800) is the way to go and stay well within your stated price limit.

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing as cheap as a nox is a low end pulse like the Garrett sea hunter, you will dig heaps of iron with it as it has no discrimination.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As long as the sand is above the high tide line and there hasn't been a recent storm with higher than normal hide tides any detector will work in dry sand.. Food for thought, there are more gold items lost in water than dry sand so odds are higher of finding gold in the wet sand and water.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't hunt the ocean I was just reading the description on the detector.That is why I suggested to the poster to go down to the supporting vendors and look around.He is trying to find an entry level machine.

Therein lies the problem, really no entry level machines that do well in salt, though the simplex should do fine in dry sand.

Dry should be fine, your OP said you wanted a detector for wet, dry and in the water. Yes, dry, uncontaminated sand simplifies things but its a pretty big sacrifice not to be able to go towards and in the water, better than nothing if you are pinched for $$

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MineLab Vanquish series of detectors do really well in wet and dry. A cheaper multi-freq detector.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. VLF. I love it in fresh or salt water. Only $600. Rechargeable (40hrs /charge). Electronics in the headphones, so the shaft is lighter to swing. Easily finds coins to ten inches. Easy to use. Only downside is the 8" coil, but I think they make a 12" too. Not interchangeable though.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
There is no trouble in using a Nokta Simplex+ on dry or wet salt water beaches works in water to, it has all the settings/adjustments required to do so . . and yes, I am using one !

Picture from a video, Target was an ear ring/dangle/ornament ?

:occasion14:

Simplex+OnWetBeach.jpg

Attachments

• Simplex+OnWetBeach.png
    Simplex+OnWetBeach.png
    312.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread