Heading to the Florida Keys(Marathon)

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heading down there for Labor Day weekend for lobster hunting and Metal detecting try to research on the rules of Metal detecting in the shallows down there but canโ€™t find much information can anyone give me some advice on what I can do and what I canโ€™t or point me in the right direction to read up on it thank you

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak bart is your man

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheech... might wana "keep your eye to the sky".

We have some major weather issues potentially headed our way... currently not sure how it will play out... but your vacation might be "in the wind".

Hope not... more for our sake. heh

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well cheech....weather permitting you might want to hit the Sombrero beach park.....its a pretty nice and popular beach in marathon. I hunt in the water there and over the years its given up some nice gold. Be prepared for the traffic, and crowds. Bahia Honda is on down the keys not to far from marathon. Its a state park and you must ask permission. Most of the time its a yes....no water hunting at this park...but the beach is a good one. Modern drops here, and if your lucky old Spanish stuff can be got....even an occasional Cobb. Rules are vague at different parks here and in the water....I treat it like any other south Florida location...I hunt dry sand all the way out to head deep. The state parks all need permission, and usually they say stay on the beach at the state parks. Stay on the beach down here means like waist deep. Basically I go and hunt and if someone has an issue with that then I deal with those people when I need to. Rarely been shutdown by the law but it has happened. whether there right or not I move on. Stay off the ballast mounds of the 1733 fleet with a detector.....but I do hunt inshore of them in the shallows. Lobsters are on fire this year and everyone is crushing it. Big number being caught by all !! There a lot of pressure though with everyone out there getting them now. Good luck and be careful.....labor day is one of the craziest weekends in the keys...it will be busy beyond your dreams on and off the water...the good thing is its usually a great time so enjoy !! Shoot me a pm....I'll probably be busy but you never know....I'd love to hit Sombrero beach !!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny - early 2000's - they told me just the opposite - i could do the water but stay off the sand - they said holes dont show in the water and were
worried bout TH'ers leaving holes on the beach instead :tongue3:

well cheech....weather permitting you might want to hit the Sombrero beach park.....its a pretty nice and popular beach in marathon. I hunt in the water there and over the years its given up some nice gold. Be prepared for the traffic, and crowds. Bahia Honda is on down the keys not to far from marathon. Its a state park and you must ask permission. Most of the time its a yes....no water hunting at this park...but the beach is a good one. Modern drops here, and if your lucky old Spanish stuff can be got....even an occasional Cobb. Rules are vague at different parks here and in the water....I treat it like any other south Florida location...I hunt dry sand all the way out to head deep. The state parks all need permission, and usually they say stay on the beach at the state parks. Stay on the beach down here means like waist deep. Basically I go and hunt and if someone has an issue with that then I deal with those people when I need to. Rarely been shutdown by the law but it has happened. whether there right or not I move on. Stay off the ballast mounds of the 1733 fleet with a detector.....but I do hunt inshore of them in the shallows. Lobsters are on fire this year and everyone is crushing it. Big number being caught by all !! There a lot of pressure though with everyone out there getting them now. Good luck and be careful.....labor day is one of the craziest weekends in the keys...it will be busy beyond your dreams on and off the water...the good thing is its usually a great time so enjoy !! Shoot me a pm....I'll probably be busy but you never know....I'd love to hit Sombrero beach !!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and back then i had tons of fresh water experience (was using pi pro) but little saltwater experience then and wanted to hit the sand instead
would kill now to hit the waters there

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you for the information if everything works out as planned Iโ€™ll PM you just waiting on my equinox 800 to get back from the repair shop for the second time for leaking I have my Excalibar but it really needs to go in for service so hopefully I get my other one back before then really looking forward to getting some lobster to

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
75116520c59bcbc9e4.gif

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny - early 2000's - they told me just the opposite - i could do the water but stay off the sand - they said holes dont show in the water and were
worried bout TH'ers leaving holes on the beach instead :tongue3:
Yes Casper.....they sometimes still do that ??? I've been told I can only hunt the water sometimes too....woooo hoooo....no problem sir !! I just roll with the punches and do what I'm told. Its the crazies that get me....had a lady call the police on me for stealing turtle eggs !! They all laughed and told the crazy turtle lady to leave me alone. She still screams at me on the beach sometimes....she's not all there !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think every beach has a crazy turtle lady down here !! :BangHead:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
taunt her - bring some golf balls and tell her" its what s for dinner"

Yes Casper.....they sometimes still do that ??? I've been told I can only hunt the water sometimes too....woooo hoooo....no problem sir !! I just roll with the punches and do what I'm told. Its the crazies that get me....had a lady call the police on me for stealing turtle eggs !! They all laughed and told the crazy turtle lady to leave me alone. She still screams at me on the beach sometimes....she's not all there !!

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though my vacation was nice and relaxing only got a chance to hunt for a couple hours one day did mostly lobster hunting with no luck all shorts I guess it pays to have a boat but I did manage to find two earrings(junk)and two pennies had some other family members so wasnโ€™t really able to separate for a full day of metal detecting next time Iโ€™m down there I will message Blak bart thank you for the offer
IMG_2510.jpg

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time buddy !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havnt seen it in years....washed out in one or another hurricane probably !!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havnt seen it in years....washed out in one or another hurricane probably !!
they had the best grouper sandwich around - one year i picked up a couple to go - major delays on the plane
i pulled one out and started a riot - everyone was starving and they had no food service on plane and they had nerve to complain to
the crew that i had food - people around me were being a-holes - they really went berserk when couple hours latter i pulled out the second one hehehe

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes....in front of schooners warf.....my bad..i eat at peppes across the street alot when im fishing there. Haven't had that fish sandwich in a long time. Ill have to stop in there next time I go down island !!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes....in front of schooners warf.....my bad..i eat at peppes across the street alot when im fishing there. Haven't had that fish sandwich in a long time. Ill have to stop in there next time I go down island !!
conch fritters are great too

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God i miss Key West