PP Mod on an Excalibur II - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: PP Mod on an Excalibur II

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2019
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    We can definitely do some business

Jul 2014
    291 times

Excal memories

The first 3 Excals pin point mods were done by Barry/Dave. I dropped them off at Kellyco in Jan 2016 with Barry. Barry started the mod than passed before finishing the mods. When I called Kellyco and heard of his passing I was shocked. I eventually talked with Barry who I had met before and Barry said he would finish them after taking some time off. I said no problem, I understand. Barry had them done by April and after we talked I asked him if he could bring them to the Treasure Hunter's picnic in Wabasso and I would pay him there and save a trip to Orlando. Barry was too busy to make the trip to the picnic but he had Ray bring them.

At the picnic I met up with Ray, paid him and got my Excals. Also, Stu Auerbach came to the picnic and I chatted with Stu for a while about scoops. Meanwhile, Ray was selling raffle tickets for an Excal they were giving away. He sold 40 tickets for $20 @. I bought one and yup I won it. That's the one in the box.

I had the box autographed by Capt. Jonah Martinez, Danny Beckingham and Bill Bartlett. The salvage crew that recovered the 1715 Fleet anniversary find of gold escudos (about $6 million). I witnessed that find from the beach starting on July 29, 2015. Helluva a memory.

I hope Dave is doing well. I live near his old hometown. Tell him I said hello.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AARC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    37350 times
    Barry's brother Dave who ran the Kellyco Repair Center taught Barry how to repair the detectors, Dave designed and set up the repair center at Minelabs request as a back up to the repair center in Chicago because of the volume of work. In 2015 the repair center techs in Chicago quit and the repair center at Kellyco became the primary repair center for Minelab, Minelab at the time told us they would hire new techs in Chicago but they never did, and this forced Kelllyco repair center to became the only Minelab repair center in US in 2015.

Dave was a Aviation Maintenance Officer on aircraft carriers and he is an electronic wizard. Barry didn't do the mods, Dave did. Barry was a former NASA tech, worked on space coast for NASA. I know this because I worked for Minelab, based in Kellyco repair center and I helped with the repairs and the mods, but it was Dave who was the man in charge and did 95% of the mod work, not just on Excals but mod work on all detectors. Barry unfortunately had a stoke one night and passed away about 10 days later. Barry was Dave's youngest brother. Barry and I were good friends and Dave and I are very good friends, we still detect together and we fish together.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Mar 05, 2021 at 02:24 PM.
    AARC likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971
    306th Bomb Wing Strategic Air Command
    Lackland AFB
    Lowery AFB
    McCoy AFB
    Kadena AFB 1968-1969, 1970-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I exercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

(Per Admins avatars and signatures do not fall under rules for politics.)

Jul 2014
    291 times
    I meant to say that after Barry passed Dave finished the mods. I remember Dave said Barry had already cut the wires and prepped them for the mods. When Dave checked them and saw the mod was started he felt compelled to finish them for me. That's how conscientious Dave was even during that period of mourning.
    AARC and Treasure_Hunter like this.

Jun 2019
    3 times
    It's nice that you all still keep his memory up high, I wish that legend was still around us. May God have him in his kingdom.
    AARC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    37350 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBOTCOP13 View Post
    I meant to say that after Barry passed Dave finished the mods. I remember Dave said Barry had already cut the wires and prepped them for the mods. When Dave checked them and saw the mod was started he felt compelled to finish them for me. That's how conscientious Dave was even during that period of mourning.
    Barry prepped the director cable ends and wires and did do some mods, but Dave did the majority of the actual mod work on motherboards, I would pour the resin in the end caps to cover the new wires so it would not leak, we pressure tested the mods in water preasure tank then I tested them in our test garden. It is possible Barry started on yours, don't remember, I do remember they were to be delivered to the hunt for you.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Mar 05, 2021 at 08:38 PM.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971
    306th Bomb Wing Strategic Air Command
    Lackland AFB
    Lowery AFB
    McCoy AFB
    Kadena AFB 1968-1969, 1970-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I exercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

(Per Admins avatars and signatures do not fall under rules for politics.)

us
    Apr 2014
    North Florida
    Coinmaster 6000/D, Excalibur II
    53 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Wonderful background information about a great loss to the detector modification brain pool.

Mike
    Last edited by FloridaMike; Mar 05, 2021 at 08:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links