Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often hear a Nox will give one more smaller gold items,,I have a Excalibur 2 which is more expensive and have never had the luck.The excal though is great for rings but one would think that some of the Nox technology would be put into a better excal,,

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal can't see chains because the links are tiny and hollow, when a detector sees a chain it only sees it a link at a time, most links are hollow and there just isn't enough gold in a link for the excal to see it.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I often hear a Nox will give one more smaller gold items,,I have a Excalibur 2 which is more expensive and have never had the luck.The excal though is great for rings but one would think that some of the Nox technology would be put into a better excal,,

I own a nox 800 and I can say I think the chain thing is overblown. It will sort of pick up a small chain, but it rings up the same as tiny bits of foil and everything else.

While I love the design of my 800 and will probably keep it, I am growing TIRED of digging hole after hole finding targets so tiny they can barely be seen.

This is NOT productive. Even if these targets were 24K gold they would be worth less than the time required to dig them up.

I am thinking of going back to a CZ-21 or potentially an Excal.

I no longer have any desire to dig anything smaller than a thin women's diamond ring.

The ONLY thing really keeping me on the nox right now is the light weight and the wireless headphones.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Nox 800 and 4 Excals (different size coils) If I know I am going in the water I use one of my excals, If I'm just hunting the wet sand then it is the Nox usually. My excals go deeper than my Nox and I don't have to worry about leaks. If you learn the excal it is a fantastic water detector.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again. In the old days I used to float the box of the silver sabre while water hunting in fresh water,,Over time that set up gave me more rewards both small and larger than I ever would find today

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again. For some reason when I hear light weight it could mean trouble

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again,it’s true the thought about getting leaks might keep people away,,for the excal I use disc mode on the one setting..Can you share with me what you learned about making the Excalibur fantastic

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have to say I have never found one detector with a stock coil that will do everything in every environment. Multi-frequency, single frequency VLF, pulse detectors, each is unique and will produce better results than others in specific environments. Add in coil size 4" to 18" or larger the physical size and area covered one has to choose which will find what one is mainly looking for. Waterproof, water resistant 10' or 200' or land use only. Audio speaker or headphones; wired, Bluetooth, proprietary. Analog discrimination or notch filtering? More choices and they are yours to make. Myself, I have 17 detectors and countless coils and I believe I can pick the best for the situation I will will be detecting in for a specific item. Some challenging areas: in a house attic, heavy and over grown brush, trashy areas with a specific item to search for.
Just like good golfer, mechanic or dentist, a detectorist really needs more than just one "tool" to obtain the best possible results.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again,,well said,,most people would be willing to pay a premium for a top notch water detector, that would have the technology of combining features that most people need.,perhaps we could see a comparison video of maybe ten detectors so we can decide instead of buying ten

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few broken gold chains with other brands of machines. Since they were 14k I sold them. Put it this way, a Civil War eagle button is worth more! The weight is simply not there, and neither is the value.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again. Someday the problem at hand will be resolved,,on the other hand a Civil War relic would be so so exciting to find,,

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billb you just need to come down here after covid. Got a farm! I am wishing I can go out this fall, my hip is terrible right now. Digging career is going downhill fast.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sincere thank you for the invitation to visit your farm. My family and I visited Maryland to visit a neighbors relative back in 1990 in Aberdeen ,I would love to buy some Cival War relics and give them to my grandchildren and help them to better understand that terrible time in our country,,Please get well soon

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far this season only went water hunting two times,,the first I tried to find my wife’s sister school ring that she lost in a creek back around 1980,I could not locate it but maybe will try again..Most places due to the virus is only at one half capacity daily,I have been reading about sea lice increase causing problems to people who want to go in the water at the ocean..I hope to get out more after Labor Day,,I spoke to my wife about going to the farm someday,, she is excited as it would be a hunt of a lifetime for me,,

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We rarely dis agree TH. The year the Nox first came out I got 5 gold chains.... and one with the Xcal which was the smallest at .3 grams and only had a tiny hasp on one side. Last year 6 with the MDT.... tested 12 chains on all three machines all hit them. Reasonable link sizes. Just good years there for chains I guess. All came from the salt water. I can not remember which machine air tested the best on um... but I suspect the Xcal. Keep in mind I hunt in AM not disc.... maybe I had a lucky ear.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Billb you just need to come down here after covid. Got a farm! I am wishing I can go out this fall, my hip is terrible right now. Digging career is going downhill fast.

Danged Smokey, been loving your threads forever - you are one of my muses......

Muses

Goddesses of the inspiration of literature, science and the arts.

Stay at it Smokey :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We rarely dis agree TH. The year the Nox first came out I got 5 gold chains.... and one with the Xcal which was the smallest at .3 grams and only had a tiny hasp on one side. Last year 6 with the MDT.... tested 12 chains on all three machines all hit them. Reasonable link sizes. Just good years there for chains I guess. All came from the salt water. I can not remember which machine air tested the best on um... but I suspect the Xcal. Keep in mind I hunt in AM not disc.... maybe I had a lucky ear.

I have found 2 chains in 13 years of excal use. Most times excal want see a gold chain but that is average chains with the thin or small links, no problem on larger chains. One year I found just the lobster clasp from a gold chain. I never worried about gold chains the excal couldn't see as there is little gold in the chains with small links.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the reply and advice,,I will try all metal also,,to do so getting a pp switch may be required ? ..I hear that They may also wear out too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread