Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://keysweekly.com/42/snorkeler-airlifted-sunday-after-shark-bite-off-marathon/ it ain't no joke....i got to see the wound in some photos....and....this guy is lucky to be alive !! He was attacked immediately after jumping in the water. No warning no provocation !! As a treasure diver in zero viz at 50 ft. I often think to myself while I'm digging in the murk.....wonder when ill be attacked.....my next thought is always the same....wonder when ill find the gold !!

Upvote 0

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Bull sharks....you can't roll with 'em.. Worst place to see and interact with them is at the fresh/salt regions of the mouths of rivers here..

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a commercial shark fisherman for 20 years.....i know the bulls well, and they just cannot be trusted or predicted in any way shape or form !! Absolutely the grumpiest, meanest, and most unpredictable shark in the sea. They have more testosterone than any living creature on the planet. They are the number one Maneater !! There always pissed off and can attack at any moment. We fished 15 miles of line with 1000+ hooks.....we would sometimes catch 200+ bulls out in the shallow gulf !! The Chinese market closed with covid and no one is fishing them here in the keys now. Sharks are swarming.
Screenshot_2018-03-26-08-19-17.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know when im fanning a target in silty and muddy water and it stirs up a big cloud where you cant see I try to take a couple steps back to get out of the cloud of mud. I like to see whats going on around me

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of bulls and hammerheads here in Tampa bay, and although hammerheads are an awesome sight when going after your tarpon on the line,they are the least likely to be involved in attacks on people. I know of two attacks in the bays here by bulls, one resulted in a death and both happened during the summer bait fish spawn. The man that was killed had jumped off his dock, which was a good mile inside the pass of Pass- a- Grille/St.Pete Beach. The bait spawn (threadfins) was huge in the bays and around docks at the time, this was around 2005 or 06, a few years later in the same area a girl was attacked in shallow water off her dock. She was lucky, the bite was on her thigh and said to be large and by a bull. Her sister dragged her out of the water saving her from more attacks. Living here on the gulfcoast all my life, I've seen and caught plenty of sharks and have always been well aware of what could be, when waist deep detecting early sunup or at night.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
It's like that with the bulls, but mostly hammerheads, with tarpon caught at Boca Grande. Lost many a tarpon at the boat. Lose one during a competition STINKS!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your eyes open!

Attachments

• 796a14e8f893308344be8215e8f964b5.jpg
    796a14e8f893308344be8215e8f964b5.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 91

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scarry ,part for my group is we were at Sombrero reef swimming there yesterday. Got home then read that someone was bitten about two hours earlier in that spot.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd hunted the gulf coast of FL in the water a LOT. Also a few times at night, but only knee deep. Never any drama except once when something kept bashing between my legs and hitting the critters my scoop was unearthing.

I've moved over to the east coast of FL now, and to be honest I'm a little nervous about water detecting on this side.

I don't see many water hunters in this area. Is it because of sharks, or just the waves?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grew up in the water... just part of life here.

Never been bitten but have come close many many times.. have been bashed ...bumped... knocked down once and creeped up on too may times.

And not always by shark... I have encountered everything from dolphins to manatee's ... even a manta ray once... tons upon tons of stingray encounters... couldn't count... and yes I have been tagged by them... which REALLY sucks BAD.

Always be aware of any "dark shadows". heh

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
listen to this guys breathing by the end of the video.....a little more persistence by the sharks and they may have won this battle....he almost flipped at one point.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scarry ,part for my group is we were at Sombrero reef swimming there yesterday. Got home then read that someone was bitten about two hours earlier in that spot.

You guys were lucky....the bull sharks are the most unpredictable of all. We were in the water at the same time 30 miles north.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your eyes open!

smallfoot.....i used to wade the flats in the bahamas and fish at night. The bahamians thought i was crazy....they told me a story of how a woman was wading at night.....she was bitten on the calf by a small blacktip shark. As she tried to flee she stumbled and fell in the shallow water.....she was torn apart by small blacktip sharks.....she bled to death and had multiple bites on her body......i was told this story by natives on Andros Island when I was in my teens....i believe this happened in the late 50s....when my family had just moved to the bahamas.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I have never had a shark seem to be interested in me at all. Thirty years ago, I was black-water diving in Cooper River, inland from Charleston, when something slammed into my leg. I had a severe bruise there & you can still see the ruptured blood vessels in my leg from it.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The man was lucky he did not have his head ripped off , sometimes it seems they just come out from nowhere, fast

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i lead people on alot of spearfishing charters....it can happen fast and at any moment. You can see how a good day in the water can go south quick. I usually hover at guard distance while others fish and hunt.....if there is a shark problem its my job to protect and get everyone back on board in one piece. Its no fun to have to go directly at the shark and draw its attention away from guests.....repeated jabs with the spear can usually drive them off....most of the time.....if it really wants you its hard to prevent. This video is from a couple years ago.....this is not me but shows the dangers of spear fishing....if you spear fish long enough you will have a shark encounter !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread