Replacing Splintered wooden Sand Scoop Handle Advice

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some recent lake & river hunting in some heavy muck and heard a few dreaded "cracks" while digging up targets.

The good news: luckily I did not loose my scoop in poor visibility

The bad news: I should replace my old wood handle sooner rather than later & I used lots of silicone sealant years ago when I attached the handle, so I figure getting all the old wood out of the stainless steel scoop won't be easy.

Thanks in advance for any tips & advice from those of you that have replaced wooden handles.

Any tool recommendations for getting the old splintered wood out or maybe even burning it out?

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It'll come out. yes get a shovel handle. Drill a drain hole in the bottom of the pocket for the handle if there isn't one already.

I seal the end of my handle after grinding it down for fit.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two good things about a shovel handle..... you know they were made for hard work... and they already have a wooden dowel so both ends are sealed. I’ve had um in mine nearly 10 years and I’m no weekend hunter. You will have to measure that hole if there is no adjustment... not all scoops are the same.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had the Stealth 920ix scoop for six years.

For handles I chose post hole digger handles. Had to stick the rounded end into the scoop, and have the squared end as my grip end. Not a problem there at all.

One advantage is that the handle floats upright, and it cost about $10.......

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted with 2 TH'ers yrs ago with wooden handles
they were in salt water a lot with them and lucky for them (on different occasions)
when theirs broke off ...I was there with a spare long handle to let them borrow

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks for the feedback.
The handle that broke is an old wooden handle that helped with thousands of scoops over many years.
I was considering a carbon fiber handle for ease in breaking down for airline travel.
Is carbon fiber my best option?

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the feedback!

In case anyone in the future is looking for help on this topic here's my update on what I did.

My 1st task: remove the splintered handle, which was held in place by an M5 40mm bolt/screw with some silicone in the pipe of the scoop.

20200927_145400.jpg

I experimented with a little bit of everything, 1st using a drill, then a wood chisel and finally a tiger torch to remove any leftovers.

20201019_202706.jpg

I purchased a carbon fiber shaft. The heat shrink tubing was needed on the end of the handle so it would fit snuggly in the pipe of the scoop.

20201015_141123.jpg
20201019_133746.jpg

I covered the open end of the CF handle with electrical tape

20201019_134632.jpg

I did not have any paraffin wax to put on the heat shrink tubing, instead I used silicone (dielectric) grease on the end of the CF handle.
Once I had the handle in the scoop, I marked and drilled holes in the handle for the M5, 40mm bolt screw.

20201019_202625.jpg

Below is a my newly improved sand scoop that seems perfect for travel as it now breaks down into 3, suit case sized pieces.
I can't wait to try it out in the near future!
I also can't believe how light (and strong!) the carbon fiber handle is compared to the bulkier one piece wooden handle which did very well for me, for many years!

20201019_220947.jpg
20201019_220825.jpg

My final task will be to put an "arrow" mark on the top end of my handle before I go out.
I found that it helps for more accurate "scoops" when water clarity is poor (which is a lot of the time for me).
Thanks again and best of luck to everyone on your next hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread