americanartifacts33

Jul 11, 2013
St Paul MO
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
I was at the beach for my honeymoon and brought my detector along. Its a simplex. The first day was frustrating until I learned to balance it out. Then I got on a roll, for coins that is. I did end up finding two silver rings but I felt it really struggled with locating that gold and depth for that matter. Heck i even tried to beep my wifes ring and it wasnt doing a great job.. Any advice on what detector i should be looking for, for beach hunting salt water etc.
Thanks! here are the beach finds.

Attachments

• Beach hunt 1.jpg
    Beach hunt 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
  • Silver ring 1.jpg
    Silver ring 1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 95
  • silver ring 2.jpg
    silver ring 2.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Multi-Frequency: Minelab Equinox 600; Minelab Vanquish 540:skullflag:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a few choices. We would need to know a bit more on where you are detecting, what type of machine you like, and what you're trying to find. Wet salt water sand? In the Ocean? Waist deep or shallower? Deeper water and/or diving? Do you want discrimination? Display screen? Deep targets? Tiny gold and platinum?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of the replies so far are excellent. First you need to know what kind of beach hunting you will do. Then go from there. If you want underwater the Excalibur series is what I would get. The Equinox series is very popular but is water resistant, not truly waterproof. No one really knows the "drown rate" on them, but you don't want to be that guy. Go back through other folks' threads to see what's going on. I used to like my old Tesoro Cibola at the Beach. It found a $5k gold coin from a shipwreck (I still have it) some time ago. My Deus works great even in shallow salt water with the new upgrade. If at all possible "test drive" a machine at a dealers before you make a decision. Frankly, almost any machine made today can find good stuff in the dry to slightly wet sand. One of my gold earrings this year was found 1' from where you exit the beach and get onto the grass, so go figure. It's not all in the water. Lots of losses from people being careless with their stuff on the dry sand, which frankly is where I see most folks at the beach.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the water I use a CZ21. On the beach, an Equinox. Excal is also a good choice but also the most expensive and most difficult to learn.

OP
OP
A

americanartifacts33

Jul 11, 2013
St Paul MO
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be for, land usage and then beach dry and wet sand, and perhaps knee deep water etc... I am leaning toward the Equinox right now after seeing the posts. Thank you!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Terry...Nox...Best Bang for the buck, Light weight, water resistant, Good Warranty.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Excal is also a good choice but also the most expensive and most difficult to learn.

Most expensive - no, not the very most expensive. And then if you have the mods done (turns it into a killer machine), yes it starts getting very expensive. Absolutely love my Excal. Difficult to learn? Not really if you have experience using other detectors.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the water I use a CZ21. On the beach, an Equinox. Excal is also a good choice but also the most expensive and most difficult to learn.

Interesting. I find the Excal is the easiest machine to use of all the 13 detectors I own, and almost all of the other 20 I've used. I hunt in PP (all metal), and pretty much put a brick on the gas pedal and dig everything that isn't a dead iron null when I switch to Disc. What could be more simple?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In referance to Cudamark's comment -And that, people, is HOW ITS DONE! Now anyone who doesn't know what that means needs to spend 2 yrs playing with an excal in the water to truly understand what you're telling them lol.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most expensive - no, not the very most expensive. And then if you have the mods done (turns it into a killer machine), yes it starts getting very expensive. Absolutely love my Excal. Difficult to learn? Not really if you have experience using other detectors.....

For the novice there is definitely a learning curve.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted, only paying, supporting vendors can advertise.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Most expensive of the machines I mentioned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread