Beach Metal Detector - Advice sought
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Beach Metal Detector - Advice sought

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2013
    St Paul MO
    Whites Prism IV
    695 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Beach Metal Detector - Advice sought

Hi All,
    I was at the beach for my honeymoon and brought my detector along. Its a simplex. The first day was frustrating until I learned to balance it out. Then I got on a roll, for coins that is. I did end up finding two silver rings but I felt it really struggled with locating that gold and depth for that matter. Heck i even tried to beep my wifes ring and it wasnt doing a great job.. Any advice on what detector i should be looking for, for beach hunting salt water etc.
    Thanks! here are the beach finds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beach hunt 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	1866253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver ring 1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	1866254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver ring 2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1,005.2 KB 
ID:	1866255  

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    25655 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Multi-Frequency: Minelab Equinox 600; Minelab Vanquish 540

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9086 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quite a few choices. We would need to know a bit more on where you are detecting, what type of machine you like, and what you're trying to find. Wet salt water sand? In the Ocean? Waist deep or shallower? Deeper water and/or diving? Do you want discrimination? Display screen? Deep targets? Tiny gold and platinum?
    ​Avitech Associate

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    31971 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Both of the replies so far are excellent. First you need to know what kind of beach hunting you will do. Then go from there. If you want underwater the Excalibur series is what I would get. The Equinox series is very popular but is water resistant, not truly waterproof. No one really knows the "drown rate" on them, but you don't want to be that guy. Go back through other folks' threads to see what's going on. I used to like my old Tesoro Cibola at the Beach. It found a $5k gold coin from a shipwreck (I still have it) some time ago. My Deus works great even in shallow salt water with the new upgrade. If at all possible "test drive" a machine at a dealers before you make a decision. Frankly, almost any machine made today can find good stuff in the dry to slightly wet sand. One of my gold earrings this year was found 1' from where you exit the beach and get onto the grass, so go figure. It's not all in the water. Lots of losses from people being careless with their stuff on the dry sand, which frankly is where I see most folks at the beach.

Aug 2016
    1751 times
    WHAT THOSE GUYS SAID

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1369 times
    Metal Detecting
    In the water I use a CZ21. On the beach, an Equinox. Excal is also a good choice but also the most expensive and most difficult to learn.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21

... waiting to see that elusive dowser or LRL on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ... has never happened!

us
    Jul 2013
    St Paul MO
    Whites Prism IV
    695 times
    It would be for, land usage and then beach dry and wet sand, and perhaps knee deep water etc... I am leaning toward the Equinox right now after seeing the posts. Thank you!
    Terry Soloman and RustyGold like this.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    25655 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

us
    Jul 2013
    St Paul MO
    Whites Prism IV
    695 times
    Is there much difference between the 600 and 800 equinox?
    Terry Soloman likes this.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Maryland Waters
    "Excalibur".. "AQ" Impulse
    6293 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm with Terry...Nox...Best Bang for the buck, Light weight, water resistant, Good Warranty.
    Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....81....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...130

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    25655 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by americanartifacts33 View Post
    Is there much difference between the 600 and 800 equinox?
    Two main differences - 800 has built in wi-fi with wireless headphones, and an extra mode for hunting gold nuggets. If you are a dirt and beach hunter, and do not live in a state with nuggets, then the 600 is the way to go. 3720-0002 | Minelab Equinox 800 | Fort Bedford Metal Detectors

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    20125 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    Excal is also a good choice but also the most expensive and most difficult to learn.
    Most expensive - no, not the very most expensive. And then if you have the mods done (turns it into a killer machine), yes it starts getting very expensive. Absolutely love my Excal. Difficult to learn? Not really if you have experience using other detectors.....
    RustyGold and terrafirma like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9086 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    In the water I use a CZ21. On the beach, an Equinox. Excal is also a good choice but also the most expensive and most difficult to learn.
    Interesting. I find the Excal is the easiest machine to use of all the 13 detectors I own, and almost all of the other 20 I've used. I hunt in PP (all metal), and pretty much put a brick on the gas pedal and dig everything that isn't a dead iron null when I switch to Disc. What could be more simple?
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    1680 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    In referance to Cudamark's comment -And that, people, is HOW ITS DONE! Now anyone who doesn't know what that means needs to spend 2 yrs playing with an excal in the water to truly understand what you're telling them lol.
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    Equinox 800
    448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    Most expensive - no, not the very most expensive. And then if you have the mods done (turns it into a killer machine), yes it starts getting very expensive. Absolutely love my Excal. Difficult to learn? Not really if you have experience using other detectors.....
    For the novice there is definitely a learning curve.
    OBN likes this.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links