WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've known from day one detecting (1982) that ALL FEDERAL property was OFF LIMITS to metal detecting. When searching for a specific lost item I have had a NPS Ranger with me and at their convenience.
Back 15 or so years ago after many years detecting NY beaches including a town beach two of us were told to "GET OUT" when the sign (about 1'X2') reading BEACH CLOSED is up, that is what it means to everyone for any reason. The situation could have escalated, be we remained calm, cool and collected, had a great conversation with the two rangers and thanked them for informing us of the new law. We then went to a town beach and were not given permission to detect. The reason given was: We are following all the state park laws. At another NY lake the local police told us "no parking, no detecting, move on OR go to the rangers station and get a permit. We did, after an hour process we got the permission. However, on the permit ins bold print Beach detecting ONLY, do not enter the water. OK, we have never gone back to NY.
This years I was told by a state park ranger detecting is permitted BUT only within the marked swimming areas. You are now prohibited from walking the sore line to other areas were people swim "illegally".
Love the changing rules. It is best to know before starting to detect. And, if confronted, do not say anything confrontational, respect authority. It has worked for me.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As for Orleans and Truro detecting. Tom from mass is legally detecting the area of the beach that is maintained by the town. That means he can detect the area of the beach that is between two lines that can be drawn one form each side of the parking lot perpendicular to the waters edge. Beyond those lines the sand becomes Nation Seashore controlled areas...NO DETECTING!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, So they are open during the summer? Odd their closed after Labor day. Here it is no detecting during the summer and a few spots limited hours. Then open after Labor day.

I know a guy from Jersey came down a few summers ago and hit Sandy Point State Park during the summer (after the 6-9 am allowed time), they pulled him out of the water, took his detector, and held him for several hours. I'm not sure if he gave them a hard time but he said he was lucky he was not locked up...He got fined, did get his detector back... Dave said he would never come back to Maryland...lol

I was leaving at 8:50 am from Sandy Point a few years ago. A lady ranger comes over and says you can't detect after 9 am. I look her square in the face and say "it's 8:50, I just got done detecting, I'm sitting here on a bench and getting ready to leave." She walked off. The year before I was with a friend detecting about 10 am, a ranger came over and very politely informed me I couldn't detect after 9 am and I did not know that at that time, so I smiled and we left, and that was that. Last year a park person came over to me about 10 and said you can't detect after 9 am until after Labor day. It was the day AFTER Labor day. She got that oh crap look on her face and shook her head and said, yeah, you're right. If you FOLLOW THE RULES the rangers just wave and are very nice. Of course no glass, no alcohol and no drugs on the park. That's why I find Corona beer tops in the sand. If you REALLY want to get in trouble, chase a seagull or goose! I saw two guys do that and the park police REAMED them!

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the reason you can't detect after Labor day. Is the beach closed to everyone or is it a water issue(dangerous algae bloom or something like that) or a breeding sea turtle ground or a seal pullout for birthing or breeding area. Just doesn't make sense if it's a public beach.
only reason - no lifrguards
they were tired of people sueing for their kids drowning cause they did not watch them i guess
in Ma. we had problem yrs ago - parents ignoring their kids and we had a few babes drown in like 1 ft of water
most of our beaches are posted in season with life guards now - swim at own risk no life guards on duty
they dont call the life guards - life guards anymore at some parks - that way they can get away with not being responsible
but other than national sea shore - all bchs are open yr round

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
As former LE myself, an armed Ranger like you encountered is a fully licensed and regulated peace officer and their jobs aren't just issuing tickets, they investigate and solve crimes, up to and including murder. Same with game Wardens in most states. Though i know you knew that, i thought i'd just speak up.

Support the blue, but don't put them on a pedestal, just doing a job we choose to do.

I’ve got to throw my two cents in here even though I’ll probably regret it. Let me begin by saying that I have great respect for all our first responders and LEOs. Having worked closely with every level of LE for over 30 years, I’ve personally witnessed the entire spectrum of police interactions with “civilians”.

My point is that there is a huge difference between barking “Hey, you!” at someone while scowling and preparing to unholster one’s sidearm and neutral “Excuse me” or “Hey, buddy” said in a passive voice. Any LEO should have situational awareness and when interacting with a rusty old curmudgeon like myself who is swinging a metal detector, there is no need to immediately go on the offense. I’ve been in many situations, including domestic violence calls where everyone involved was under control until another responder (usually some youngster) came in late and ratcheted things up by needlessly being a jerk.

By the same token, there have been many times where the LEOs had darn well been ready to use deadly force. I guess judging the situation comes with experience.

Just a quick thought about game wardens in particular... they are usually alone, far from any backup and are dealing with hunters who are armed. They are vastly unappreciated. Many sportsmen see them only as a nuisance. Other police agencies look down on them and the court system doesn’t take them seriously (I’m speaking in generalities here). My experience with park rangers is that many are college aged kids doing a summer job and suffer from what we used to call “big hat syndrome”.

Having said all this, asking a LEO whether they are going to shoot you is absolutely inappropriate. The citizen can ratchet up any situation just as easily as an overzealous LEO. Maybe an initial apologetic attitude would have avoided a court appearance, who knows? Rarely, if ever, will arguing with any officer make the situation better for you.

For instance, on the prosecutor’s copy of motor vehicle citations, officers would sometimes write: “operator’s attitude - “ if it said anything like “rude” “threatening” or “argumentative” the defendant could expect to receive like treatment from the prosecutor. And if it ever reported a quote of the accused to the officer of “I’ll see you in court!”, holy cow, that was a mistake. If the attitude was apologetic and respectful, that went in the favor of the accused.

As so many TN members have repeatedly said over the years... Don’t go where you don’t have permission. If you’re on public land, it’s your obligation to learn the rules.
HH
dts

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience with park rangers is that many are college aged kids doing a summer job and suffer from what we used to call “big hat syndrome”.
I know you know the difference, but some are conflating "Rangers" with "Law Enforcement Rangers". Big difference. The armed Rangers are licensed peace officers, not to be confused with the pimply faced 18 year old tour guide "ranger".

Becoming a Law Enforcement Ranger is more difficult a position to obtain then a local law enforcement job. I know, i applied right after i obtained my LE degree and completed police academy (it's called law enforcement skills here in MN) and was competing with 20+ year LE veterans. Same with Game Wardens. https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/nps-law-enforcement-ranger-training-and-employment-process.htm

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
That’s just dumb. They should just put up signs.. “Not liable for your safety when lifeguards not on duty”/ “Swim at own risk”..those are signs we have here. You guys down there have so many rules on your beaches. Up here in Canada the parkies don’t bother Detectorist’s unless you’re detecting in a state park. Wether the water is ice cold or crowds of people, they don’t mind. They’re happy we pick up a lot of crap. I had 2 parkies come up to me one yr. early April, I had waders on and ice still floating on lake, I was detecting in and around the ice burgs. They just asked what I’ve been finding and I showed them some pop cans, bottle caps and garbage. They were quite impressed I was actually taking the time to remove and carry the junk around with me and then later dispose of it. As they walked away they thanked me and said be careful.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What happens in regards to the water after labor day? No 17 year old lifeguard on the payroll to save you? The tactless, probably newbie cop shouldn't have barked at you. He'll learn, or not.

I was informed by a nice Game Warden last year, that my detecting behavior was not allowed, after asking if I'd found anything good. I was on state land, which is open to the public. Ah, but it was historic state land. I said, I know, that's why I'm here. We parted on good terms, and I checked the sign board at the entrance again. I had looked carefully earlier, and saw nothing against MDing. I was embarrassed when I saw the notice, stapled above the glass covered stuff, above my hat visor.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
local police told us "no parking, no detecting, move on OR go to the rangers station and get a permit. We did, after an hour process we got the permission. However, on the permit ins bold print Beach detecting ONLY, do not enter the water.

This years I was told by a state park ranger detecting is permitted BUT only within the marked swimming areas. You are now prohibited from walking the sore line to other areas were people swim "illegally".

I was leaving at 8:50 am from Sandy Point a few years ago. A lady ranger comes over and says you can't detect after 9 am. I look her square in the face and say "it's 8:50, I just got done detecting, I'm sitting here on a bench and getting ready to leave." She walked off. The year before I was with a friend detecting about 10 am, a ranger came over and very politely informed me I couldn't detect after 9 am and I did not know that at that time, so I smiled and we left, and that was that. Last year a park person came over to me about 10 and said you can't detect after 9 am until after Labor day. It was the day AFTER Labor day. She got that oh crap look on her face and shook her head and said, yeah, you're right. If you FOLLOW THE RULES the rangers just wave and are very nice. Of course no glass, no alcohol and no drugs on the park. That's why I find Corona beer tops in the sand. If you REALLY want to get in trouble, chase a seagull or goose! I saw two guys do that and the park police REAMED them!

I guess I started reading a bit late. Which communist country was this? Did they take the film from your camera too?

North Korea is too far for me to go to detect but good luck.

Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hobbie of metal detecting is a crime as they burn and loot cities destroying thousands of businesses attack the police with bottles ,rocks and explosives and arrest a few of the thousands doing the crime....am I missing something ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread