🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got thrown out of a beach
first got thrown out of the water - no one allowed in water after labor day
he barked at me - dont you know the rules - i said im not from around here
and he said - well i wont give you a ticket but you have to leave the beach :tongue3:

Upvote 0

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No one allowed in the water after Labor Day, interesting. Oh well, at least you did not get a citation.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it depends on where you go. Right now one State Park is open for detecting during daylight hours.

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That stinks, everything becomes a liability now with people are sue happy and ruin things for others. Hope you find a good hot spot.

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine anyone with the balls to say that. Was this at a State Park? Was this guy in a uniform? Was there any signage indicating that? If not I would have told him to F... off

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A similar thing happened to me 10 yrs. ago. I took a ride to Marconi Beach on the National Seashore after a winter storm in February. It was around 11 am the temperature was below freezing. There wasn't anyone there but me. Driving in there were no signs indicating the detecting was forbidden. In the parking lot and at the stairs leading down to the beach there were no signs. while I was detecting the dry sand, I hear "hey you". I turn around and standing 20 ft. away is a Park Ranger his holster unbuttoned and his hand on his Glock. I said Really! what are gonna do shoot me? He said you're breaking the Law. "Metal detecting on Federal Property is not allowed. To which I responded "show me the sign that says that. To which he said that they were taken down before the storm so they wouldn't get damaged and it is your responsibility to know the rules before you enter. What a dick! He then said the he could confiscate my detector and arrest me. To which I responded that I am a veteran how about giving me a break to which he said NO. SOOO I had to go to a hearing before a judge in Hyanus and pay a $100.00 fine. Not a fan of mickey mouse park rangers

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Casper, So they are open during the summer? Odd their closed after Labor day. Here it is no detecting during the summer and a few spots limited hours. Then open after Labor day.

I know a guy from Jersey came down a few summers ago and hit Sandy Point State Park during the summer (after the 6-9 am allowed time), they pulled him out of the water, took his detector, and held him for several hours. I'm not sure if he gave them a hard time but he said he was lucky he was not locked up...He got fined, did get his detector back... Dave said he would never come back to Maryland...lol

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. Not a fan of mickey mouse park rangers

As former LE myself, an armed Ranger like you encountered is a fully licensed and regulated peace officer and their jobs aren't just issuing tickets, they investigate and solve crimes, up to and including murder. Same with game Wardens in most states. Though i know you knew that, i thought i'd just speak up.

Support the blue, but don't put them on a pedestal, just doing a job we choose to do.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Park Police on Long Island will let you drown yourself year round. Well, as long as you have the $40 permit. :skullflag:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time in my decades of detecting I have been asked to leave was on Egmont Key...

I was younger and myself, GF and a buddy, had just anchored stepped off boat and started detecting...

all of a sudden I hear a 4 wheeler and a whistle coming down from the fort... I notice he is not looking like a park ranger I was familiar with... and he was hauling arse right for us...

This ranger screams up and slides the wheeler and jumps off yelling "get off the f...... island" !!!

I begin to talk and he just interrupts and screams "I am not going to say it again" !

then just a cold hard "he wasn't screwing with me look"... SO... I simply said "have a nice day" turned and walked back got onto boat... started it and began to back out.. I look back he is standing there... hasn't moved... still staring... I just smiled and waved.

So...

I didn't know that Egmont was a National Park just across channel from State Park I had a State permit to hunt... lesson learned... I knew National's were off limits... just had no idea that island was one... had always thought it was part of State park system.

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Law and Order guy. I fully support all law enforcement agencies. The guy I encountered looked to be 20 yrs. old or just graduated HS. In my opinion that was a very unprofessional way of handling the situation. He needs more training. What possible reason is there to have your hand on a firearm in a situation like that? 99% of LE do a great service to communities. It's the 1% that worries me

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of LE do a great service to communities. It's the 1% that worries me

There wasn't anyone there but me.

That's why he had his hand on his service weapon. It's the 1% that worries him too, especially when he's alone confronting someone to tell them they can't be doing something.

I can't tell you how many times i was alone when i went to confront or make an arrest and how quickly it escalated. When i had backup, they were usually a lot less combative.

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let freedom ring, sorry about the petty tyrant

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Law and Order guy. I fully support all law enforcement agencies. The guy I encountered looked to be 20 yrs. old or just graduated HS. In my opinion that was a very unprofessional way of handling the situation. He needs more training. What possible reason is there to have your hand on a firearm in a situation like that? 99% of LE do a great service to communities. It's the 1% that worries me
This was a NY bch but I have heard of a few locals Tom where you went that have bribed rangers there with beer and pizza and hunt there before and of rangers using detectors themselves there

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the reason you can't detect after Labor day. Is the beach closed to everyone or is it a water issue(dangerous algae bloom or something like that) or a breeding sea turtle ground or a seal pullout for birthing or breeding area. Just doesn't make sense if it's a public beach.

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt two beaches along the National Seashore that are managed by Towns. Orleans and Truro. I hunt in Orleans but in more than 10 yrs I have only found two gold items. A ring and a gold dental bridge. During the day it's $20 to park, so I go after4:30 when its free. Unfortunately, due to the frequent shark sightings and seal attacks a mere 20 ft from shore at times most people including myself don't venture too far or stay in the water too long which might account for fewer targets. Because of the Covid thing, many people are still sitting on the beach instead of working can't work from home so I don't want to hunt that area and bother any one. At least I'm not digging any iron with the Nox and It's a lot lighter to swing than my Dual Field. Even if I get nothing but small change, it is a beautiful beach and fresh air and always some fine lookin ladies

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A similar thing happened to me 10 yrs. ago. I took a ride to Marconi Beach on the National Seashore after a winter storm in February. It was around 11 am the temperature was below freezing. There wasn't anyone there but me. Driving in there were no signs indicating the detecting was forbidden. In the parking lot and at the stairs leading down to the beach there were no signs. while I was detecting the dry sand, I hear "hey you". I turn around and standing 20 ft. away is a Park Ranger his holster unbuttoned and his hand on his Glock. I said Really! what are gonna do shoot me? He said you're breaking the Law. "Metal detecting on Federal Property is not allowed. To which I responded "show me the sign that says that. To which he said that they were taken down before the storm so they wouldn't get damaged and it is your responsibility to know the rules before you enter. What a dick! He then said the he could confiscate my detector and arrest me. To which I responded that I am a veteran how about giving me a break to which he said NO. SOOO I had to go to a hearing before a judge in Hyanus and pay a $100.00 fine. Not a fan of mickey mouse park rangers

That pisses me off....and it didn't even happen to me !!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Gulf Shores area where I go when I go, just wear a mask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread