cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll need to be a bit more specific when you talk about "factory presets". Which mode are you using in the dry sand? Which mode in the wet sand? Sensitivity settings for each? How much trash are you finding? How deep have the items been? Are you having any interference with EMI? Are you searching in multifrequency? Just because you haven't found any gold or silver, doesn't mean you need to change settings either. It may be that there just isn't any gold or silver in that area to be found. It's not all that easy to find gold and silver in some areas that are pounded by other detectorists. How many hours of detecting have you had with the Nox?

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I did, Hold the on button till you get an FP on the screen. Then go to beach2, then start going to all the mods one at a time. Noise cancel I leave at 0, ground balance I leave at 0 , sounds I just use 2. I set sound 1 at 4, I can't figure how to advance it to set sound2 up . Maybe you can only do that with the nox800.responce time I set at 3 or 2. Thats pretty much it. But Cudamark is right , you have to make sure she's in the right mode. Look up gigmaster, just put in setting up a equinox 600 or 800 for the beach, brings you to his vidieo.Let us kow hao you make out.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are digging other targets, then the gold and silver probably hasn't been under the loop. I was Civil War relic hunting last year. I got about 6 items, the other guy got about 10 and one guy zero. Its how it goes sometimes.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are digging trash then it's not the settings, it's your location, and your luck.

I have gone months without finding silver, and sometimes a year without finding gold.

I then realized I needed to hunt somewhere where people were WEARING silver and gold.

Show up in the middle of the day and look at the class of people on the beach.

Look for wedding rings and gold chains. Do they look like people who can afford the REAL THING?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What flgliderpilot said is true. With one thing to add. Other detectorists will know that same information, every beach has their "regulars". You might have to get there early or night hunt if its allowed.

OP
OP
B

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here's what I did, Hold the on button till you get an FP on the screen. Then go to beach2, then start going to all the mods one at a time. Noise cancel I leave at 0, ground balance I leave at 0 , sounds I just use 2. I set sound 1 at 4, I can't figure how to advance it to set sound2 up . Maybe you can only do that with the nox800.responce time I set at 3 or 2. Thats pretty much it. But Cudamark is right , you have to make sure she's in the right mode. Look up gigmaster, just put in setting up a equinox 600 or 800 for the beach, brings you to his vidieo.Let us kow hao you make out.

Thanks for telling me about Gigmaster. Very helpful

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokycat is right. Hit the beach early, I like to hit them when the sun rises, and still when light hits I can see other detectorest down the beach. Also try to start at low tide, you can get out further then normal. Night hunting is also great too. Now when the weather gets cold , That's when I really hit the beach hard. Unfortunatly they will start replenishing the Delaware beaches at the end of Nov. Also try to hit the beach right after a storm. You have to keep trying. It will add up after awhile. Good hunting.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a great time when you catch the tide and seeing the sun rise..thanks for your service,

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a great time when you catch the tide and seeing the sun rise..thanks for your service,[/QUOTE
Thank you.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone, keep this thread going, with very helpful advice on this machine - helps us all....! :icon_thumright:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't quite know what to make of the 600. I borrowed a friend's 800 and took it out waist deep. I spent some time digging junk. I started with fishing weights and was soon digging pull tabs. The ocean was telling me I was walking the wrong way. Everything you find and where ( how deep, how far out or in) tells a story. The ocean said, " I gave you dense targets but you are too dense so I'll put you in pulltab purgatory. "
I turned around and walked 50 yards back to the area where there were fishing weights. The bottom felt firmer, more packed. The digging was much harder with stones and shells. There were targets. Immediately I got two gold rings back to back. I had walked right by them. I was in beach 2 since i was in the water. I left it on 5 tone, everything preset. Half the time I forget to GB. I returned the 800 and came back with my own 600 a few days later. I went to the same spot and found 56 shotgun primers and 15 nickels. How I didn't find them the first time was almost a mystery. I went home and cried. I came back days later on low tide and got a giant silver ring, 23 shotgun primers and 11 nickels. The ring was there the whole time judging by the encrustation on it but I kept walking in circles around it because I was trying to do the whole beach. Is the 600 worse than the 800? Should I try to buy my friend's much luckier 800? That's peripheral and does't matter. What matters is as a new guy you have to get by on luck. After you have enough luck you can put yourself into that spot where luck translates to skill. You notice the hard bottom with clay under it holds the heavy old targets. People don't swim close to fishermen if they can help it. People swim where there aren't many underwater obstacles or its hard to get back out. BUT when its hard to get out people panic and lose things. its not cut and dry but like anything you learn the rules to know when to break them. If you're in the right spot at the right time you'll find it with the 600 if its there. You'll find it just by eye, no detector. Don't expect the gold to scream at you every time but some rings will. Many are just a tiny iron sounding blip that a green eager detectorist will walk right by without swinging over twice. Once you find it with luck or experimentation a few times, you'll be able to go out and look for it.
Sometimes I go to the beach and its " sanded in" . I put the machine back in the car and watch the people play. I wait until the conditions are good. I used to walk the sand for hours without a target saying "next block will be better". After walking the miles in the soft sand I learned.
As others are bringing up theres a mental checklist before and after the hunt. I can't think and hunt- my brain turns to mush. Questions like , are there enough people losing stuff to make that stretch of beach worth hunting? Is there a lot of competition? Detector tracks, shovel drag marks, filled in holes, lack of trash/ targets ( unfilled in holes are fine because thats a rookie) . Conversely, are the targets old? Plentiful? Been there a while?
Don't try to do the whole beach. Go walk the beaches without the detector and observe where people are swimming and playing and at what depth etc. See what they are wearing. Do they have jewelry on? Are they frolicking with abandon or are they dipping their toes for a minute and returning to the towel line? The spot I went is1/3 white people with 1/3 Indian, South/ Central American and 1/3 Black. The white people seem to lose the least stuff. The Indians seem to lose silver often. The white people are athletes and leave their jewelry in the car.
I have some friends that are new to detecting. They read about a battle and want to go to the spot. We go to the spot and its empty. It was cleaned out in the 1980s when a previous generation of guys read about that battle and decided to dig it. Since noone gets it all, maybe we find something. We go to the library, get Generals autobiography, the maps of the roads the troops used, where they slept. We get the permission from the farmer of the field they slept in behind the Inn and suddenly we have a battle's worth of finds. I hope some of this rant was comprehensible. I'm reminded of outings with more seasoned hunters. I'm running circles up and down the mountain and they're next to the car, 50 holes in a ten foot area and some good finds. You know who you arrrgh! LOL

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its coming??? NOOOOOOOOO! Not the replenishment! Thanks for the warning.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tommybuckets nailed it pretty good. I water hunt with no shoes so I can feel the bottom for the exact reason he described. That is exactly how it works.

Identifying tourists is important. I once had a big hairy greek guy run out to me in the water waving both arms in the air ... he says to me "my son lost a big gold chain with a big gold pendant on it yesterday in the water right there! can you check?!?" ... I said "Ok but like the one you are WEARING NOW?"

He says "YES! YES!" reaches for it to show me, and then drops his iPhone in the ocean! LOL

I helped him find the of course but someone other lucky dog found the chain I am sure.

I came back the next day to see if anyone else in the family had been in the water again.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread