Any thoughts where this coin came from ?

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..and the other side? might help.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Hi Thanks. Both sides look identical,this was in with the other coins that I got with the Tesoro silver sabre

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi thanks. Both sides are identical,it was in with the coins that I just found with the silver sabre

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The writing looks middle eastern. Not trying to be racial but maybe if you have any stores with middle eastern ownership maybe they could help I.D. it for you.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back -of -the-boat. Thanks I agree Its truly amazing how it probably came from so so far away..I hear the temps are in the 90’s in California. We could use some more over here

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprailroad Hi. Both sides are identical,I have heard that perhaps it is from the Middle East,,I hope conditions are improving in Oregon

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
That is indeed almost certainly Arabic script on the object. It would be wonderful if an Arabic-speaker could be found to translate the script. That might provide the answer to the object's identity. What's in the crest? Crossed swords? Flags?

Best regards,

JG

Last edited:
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacobgosling Thank You,,I hope someday to have this translated,,If I can I will let you know The identity,,take care,,Bill

terry g

May 9, 2009
In the Mediterranean on a yacht.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
2 x Excalibur ll, Excal 1000,
Bill. I think it might be a Saudi coin. The swords are at the bottom. Are you sure the other side is exactly the same? Arabic date is 1370. Is the diameter 30.5mm. I will try and post a pic of one.

Last edited:

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a [FONT=&quot]Silver Saudi Arabian Coin 1 Riyal .

[/FONT]
In 1925, transitional copper coins for ¼ and ½ qirsh (in some parts of the country, it is pronounced girsh) were minted in Makkah by Ibn Saud. They were followed, in 1926, by ¼, ½ and 1 qirsh cupro-nickel pieces carrying the title "King of Hejaz and Sultan of Nejd".
In 1927, the royal title was changed to "King of Hejaz and Nejd and Dependencies" and coins were issued in denominations of ¼, ½ and 1 qirsh in cupro-nickel and ¼, ½ and 1 riyal in silver.
In 1935, the first coins were issued in the name of Saudi Arabia. These were silver ¼, ½ and 1 riyal coins which were nearly 50% lighter than the previous issue. Cupro-nickel ¼, ½ and 1 qirsh were also issued from 1937. In 1946 (AH 1365), many of the cupro-nickel coins were countermarked with the Arabic numerals 65 in what Krause and Mishler describe as "a move to break money changers' monopoly on small coins". Cupro-nickel 2 and 4 qirsh were introduced in 1957.
In 1963, the halala was introduced, and bronze 1 halala coins were issued. That was the only year they were struck. Cupro-nickel 5, 10, 25 and 50 halala followed in 1972, inscribed with their denomination in ghirsh or riyal (1, 2 qirsh, ¼, ½ riyal). In 1976, cupro-nickel 1 riyal coins were introduced, which are also inscribed with the denomination 100 halala. Bimetallic 1 riyal coins, also marked 100 halala, were issued in 1999.
A new series of 1, 5, 10, 25, and 50 halalas and bimetallic 1 and 2 riyal coins was issued in 2016

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a cool coin, must have been fun to find. Also, there is a free App that you can download called Coinoscope. It is great for identifying coins. Just take a pic and in seconds it will identify it or give you pics of possible matches

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work embrym....looks like Bill did good and got the silver one !! Pretty coin bill !!

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claire,,thanks for helping ,,it’s truly amazing what someone can find with a metal detector

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry g Thanks. you are correct ,,both sides are not the same. I don’t know how to add new pictures to this,I checked with calipers .068

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread