New scoop Help

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some suggestions. Been freshwater beach hunting for about 6 months now and have been quite successful so far. The one thing that I seem to have issues with is getting the target into the scoop. I use all the tricks like a foot behind the coil for scoop placement. I have a smaller scoopal/pol? that's 6"wide x 4.5"tall x 10" deep. I find that sometimes I hit the target first scoop and other times up to 15 scoops and I usually just give up. Should I get a bigger scoop? A lot of beaches I hunt have 10 inches of sand with a hard clay base. It feels like I miss the target bypassing it with the V of the tip of the scoop? Any help or suggestions for an upgrade of scoop would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Need some suggestions. Been freshwater beach hunting for about 6 months now and have been quite successful so far. The one thing that I seem to have issues with is getting the target into the scoop. I use all the tricks like a foot behind the coil for scoop placement. I have a smaller scoopal/pol? that's 6"wide x 4.5"tall x 10" deep. I find that sometimes I hit the target first scoop and other times up to 15 scoops and I usually just give up. Should I get a bigger scoop? A lot of beaches I hunt have 10 inches of sand with a hard clay base. It feels like I miss the target bypassing it with the V of the tip of the scoop? Any help or suggestions for an upgrade of scoop would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Get yourself the Stealth 920ix. Big scoop! That’s gonna be my Xmas gift to myself this yr.

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! I made that mistake and got a 5 1/2 inch wide scoop and it sucked to be blunt. I now have an 8-inch wide one and it's great!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Get the Stealth 920 IX. I lost more targets with my old 6 inch round scoop. I bought a 920 IX and drastically reduced my recovery times.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS. Hi thank you for your service to our country,.can you let me know what your post hole digger handle looks like to make it float. Thanks Bill

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
DeepseekerADS. Hi thank you for your service to our country,.can you let me know what your post hole digger handle looks like to make it float. Thanks Bill

It's just a pole made of hickory - strong, and long lasting. I think it cost about $10. The scoop is heavy, but with the wooden pole - the pole floats upright in the deeper water. It is heavy to carry around, but as you get deeper in the water, that pole stands up and looks at you - even at chin deep in the water.

I'm over 70, so I think that will last me the rest of my life.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 720I and like it however after using it a few years wish I bought the 920I especially when you go for a shot between waves and miss the target by an inch and next try..... it's gone. The 920 would have hit it. Of course the 920 loaded is gonna be heavier to lift.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
These past few Summers I've been hitting local state parks.

Some of these beaches have "drive by's" of motor boats proud of their power sending waves to us folks in the water.

I grab onto that Stealth and hold on - only gotten totally wet a few of the many times. Didn't lose my loved Excal or the scoop.

The scoop was mightier than their torque :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions