14K Star of David - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: 14K Star of David

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    625 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    A sincere thanks to all for the privilege of your time stopping here,,For all of us we are many many miles apart from each other but going forward we share the same journey as we continue to search for the elusive pot of gold
    AARC, OBN and Back-of-the-boat like this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    77421 times
    Bill... thanks for your kind words / respectful replies...

Just know this about "the magnet test"...

Not only is gold not attracted to a magnet... but neither is a slew of other metals used predominately in jewelry manufacturing.

Like... Copper... brass...(which this appears to have the look of from photo)... aluminum... stainless... just to name the main ones.

I think your piece has a chance due to the double markings... but I have seen this before as well.

Hope it is real and its just some discoloration... which does happen to jewelry in the right environment... and totally possible.

PS... its more the alloys in the gold that discolor and not the gold itself.
    Last edited by AARC; Nov 28, 2020 at 04:22 AM.
    OBN, billb and Irishgoldhound like this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8826 times
    Over the years I've recovered all sorts of discolored gold jewelry. A brassy or copper appearance is actually quite common, especially in low K gold or older gold items that have been in the elements for a long time. One of the freshwater lakes I frequently hunt since having moved back to Indiana produces "a lot" of discolored old gold simply due to the amount of metal trash that has deteriorated over the years and leached into the bottom. And remember too, a .385 gold ring is also .615 of some other alloy, also another reason why VDI should never be trusted when hunting gold jewelry.
    billb and AARC like this.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    625 times
    bigscoop,,Hi thanks for the privilege of your time and feedback,,it appears that elements will have an effect on gold,as you have seen in the lakes you have visited,,I feel your diagnoses is correct as I found this in a fresh water lake in Connecticut,,take care and hope your next hunt is rewarding,,,,
    bigscoop likes this.

us

Jun 2010
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8826 times
    When I was traveling and detecting all the time I always carried a rechargeable Drimel tool and an assortment of buffing wheels with me just for the purpose of quick inspection and cleaning. When I returned to camp or the boat, etc., I'd pour out my recoveries and spot clean those questionable items. Just a thought for you to consider.
    billb and AARC like this.

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    625 times
    bigscoop,, hi ,,,,great feedback,,I think the buffing wheel is what I need as when I hunt and recover items it’s difficult for me to see the fine print on them as I keep my reading glasses home,,and when I show my finds to my wife I always ask her what’s the verdict and when I see her smile I know it’s good,, For me win or lose on hunts is time well spent,,all the best,,Bill
    AARC and Blak bart like this.

us

Jun 2010
    8826 times
    I also carried a jeweler's loop..........my eyes no longer able to make out that fine print....lol
    billb likes this.

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    625 times
    bigscoop Hi ,,it’s true that we need to have many many tools with us when we hunt,,what I like about this forum is that we all share our ideas and opinions with each other as we are many many miles away,.Our journey going forward remains the same as we search for the elusive pot of gold,,,
    bigscoop likes this.

Aug 2016
    2000 times
    I also carry a loop and a magnifying glass in the truck nice gold
    billb likes this.

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    625 times
    Islamoradamark,hi thanks for the privilege of your time and advice,,it’s amazing the amount of tools we need these days,all in all win or lose on a hunt is time learning and well spent ,,Take care

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links