Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a picture of the back it says 14k ,,it’s difficult to get a better one. I hope it helps

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Looks good! Probably just needs a good cleaning to bring out that gold. Some gold jewelry cleaner or toothpaste with a soft tooth brush will shine that up nice. Awesome find for sure!

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irishgoldhound. Yes I have not cleaned it yet,,,, thanks for your advice,,it’s great to hear from you and glad I found the picture of your great recovery,,best of luck to you,,

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Bill! Is it solid 14k? Looks a bit Brassy colour.

Agreed... tis a bit odd.

The bail looks to be gold... I wonder if the pendant itself is.

Testing should be done on the bottom back base.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
No doubt in my mind it's gold. I've found some nasty looking gold in the past mostly due to surrounding conditions. And then add in lighting of the picture.

Also found anything related to God is easy to sell and worth more then melt value, Very Nice save....:icon_thumleft:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Find Bill, Congratulations on the golden ticket!:occasion14::hello2:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go bill....your on a good streak of hunts. Congrats !!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was antiqued with something to give it that look. If you clean it, It might not clean up.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back-of-the-boat thanks for stopping and for the privilege of your time,I learned that gold will not stick to a magnet,I tried four different magnets and there was no sticking,I’m not of a gold expert I just assumed that when I see a 14k mark,it should be gold

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN. Hi thanks for stopping and for the privilege of your time,,I’ve been blessed to find this and think it’s one of my better finds

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak Bart. Thanks for the privilege of your time,,for me I am very blessed to have found this,

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman. Thanks again for the privilege of your time,,I learned that gold will not stick to a magnet,and I used four different magnets and there was no sticking,,for me it a blessing to find something like this and think about it’s meaning and what type of metal it is it’s secondary

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC hi thanks for the privilege of your time,,I’m not a expert in jewelry and for me I think It’s one of my better finds,I tried a quick test that I just learned where magnets will not stick to gold,all four magnets revealed no sticking,being gold or not gold in this case is secondary when I look at the true meaning of it,

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sincere thanks to all for the privilege of your time stopping here,,For all of us we are many many miles apart from each other but going forward we share the same journey as we continue to search for the elusive pot of gold

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill... thanks for your kind words / respectful replies...

Just know this about "the magnet test"...

Not only is gold not attracted to a magnet... but neither is a slew of other metals used predominately in jewelry manufacturing.

Like... Copper... brass...(which this appears to have the look of from photo)... aluminum... stainless... just to name the main ones.

I think your piece has a chance due to the double markings... but I have seen this before as well.

Hope it is real and its just some discoloration... which does happen to jewelry in the right environment... and totally possible.

PS... its more the alloys in the gold that discolor and not the gold itself.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years I've recovered all sorts of discolored gold jewelry. A brassy or copper appearance is actually quite common, especially in low K gold or older gold items that have been in the elements for a long time. One of the freshwater lakes I frequently hunt since having moved back to Indiana produces "a lot" of discolored old gold simply due to the amount of metal trash that has deteriorated over the years and leached into the bottom. And remember too, a .385 gold ring is also .615 of some other alloy, also another reason why VDI should never be trusted when hunting gold jewelry.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop,,Hi thanks for the privilege of your time and feedback,,it appears that elements will have an effect on gold,as you have seen in the lakes you have visited,,I feel your diagnoses is correct as I found this in a fresh water lake in Connecticut,,take care and hope your next hunt is rewarding,,,,

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was traveling and detecting all the time I always carried a rechargeable Drimel tool and an assortment of buffing wheels with me just for the purpose of quick inspection and cleaning. When I returned to camp or the boat, etc., I'd pour out my recoveries and spot clean those questionable items. Just a thought for you to consider.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread