Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please enlighten me on the real gold sinks to the bottom test? Doesn't all metal sink to the bottom? What am I missing? Do you add something to the water?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please enlighten me on the real gold sinks to the bottom test? Doesn't all metal sink to the bottom? What am I missing? Do you add something to the water?

lol...

Sheesh I must admit.. I did not read the "sinking in water part". heh... I just saw the Tested / real I guess... err or >? ? ?

Um Bill...who told you this ? ? ?

This means absolutely nothing btw.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdking. Hi good question and thanks for the privilege of your time,,all of this started because I never thought to clean a item first and it was doubtful that perhaps it’s not gold,So I went online and there are a few things that one can do at home rather than exposing myself in a crowded jewelry store now,,one of the items mentioned was gold will rest on the bottom in water where some others may rest slightly above the bottom,I did everything the guide told me to do other than use nitric acid in which I don’t have handy,,

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC hi right or wrong I just went online and the guide mentioned to try a few things,please check online when you have time thanks

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC. Please let’s go back to the beginning,I thought it would be proper to share a-nice find that had 14k stamped in two places,by never thinking of cleaning first viewers thought perhaps differently,so with this in mind I had to also prove to myself that I had some homework to do,,so I went online and at www.sbcgold.com there were a few things to try,remember I’m not a jewelry expert I was just trying to maybe Check a few things myself,,also please tell trdking to please check also,,I hope all this helps my friend

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC the article starts with Scottsdale July 24 2014 How to test gold 5 simple ways to spot fake gold,,I hope you can locate it

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welllll... heres the deal.

Believe 1/10th of the internet... heh no exaggeration.

All metal sinks.

Never heard of a floating metal... near bottom or not.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to hear of your positive results on your gold pin! Congratulations!

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC hi remember I was just looking for advice here so I did what I thought is right,I find it so so hard to believe that people were at first doubtful so I had to start doing my homework ,,I was asked to do some testing in which I did ,,if I was wrong with my thoughts I would be the first to admit it,thanks Bill

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArfieBoy,,Hi thanks for stopping here and for the privilege of your time,,I hope all is well in Oregon,Yes Indeed I’m very blessed to have found this and do not think I will ever find another,thanks for the kind words,,

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC hi for me I just turned 70 yrs old and the last place I’m going to be these days is in stores where people don’t follow rules,,I just did what everyone told me do test it,,I probably will just give this to my granddaughter and she can decide if she wants to keep it or cash it in and buy something for herself,,take care

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say this... after your cleaning it looks MUCH better and more gold like... the probability is that it is real by the look... IMO.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Gold sinks faster in water than other common metals like iron, brass, copper or aluminum of course everyone knows this but it would be very hard to notice with the naked eye just doing it in a glass. You’d need a deep pool and a timer to prove this method.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing the water test would be no good at all, with lead being a great fishing weight but doesn't make it gold. HH

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold sinks faster in water than other common metals like iron, brass, copper or aluminum of course everyone knows this but it would be very hard to notice with the naked eye just doing it in a glass. You’d need a deep pool and a timer to prove this method.

This "test" would be a FAR "reach" at best... and determining a plated item or real item... useless.

No offense.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irishgoldhound hi thanks for the feedback,I was just following people’s recommendation that I should get it tested,I found a site that listed several things to do and I did them,the article just stated to put the object in a bowl of water not a pool,again I am by no means a expert in gold technology.on the other hand if this was a priceless painting or some very valuable ancient object then I could understand that thorough research be done ,,in closing for me I just wanted to share a nice find. Take care

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Islamoradamark,,yes indeed I used a bowl lined with aluminum foil,baking soda and boiling water as if I was making tea let it soak for approx,twenty minutes and rubbed with a toothbrush

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
This "test" would be a FAR "reach" at best... and determining a plated item or real item... useless.

No offense.

I’m not saying it’s a test to perform as an indication of an item being “solid” gold vs plated. Nor would I even bother to try but It’s just a fact , solid gold will sink faster

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread