Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop,,hi I did all the tests at home I could do,,the only test I could not do was apply nitric acid as I did not have it,,It is stamped 14k,tried four different magnets in which there was no sticking,,placed in water and it went completely to the bottom of a bowl,and it cleaned up beautifully,,so so happy with all results,,

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy one of the inexpensive gold testing kits which will be good for future finds also.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat,,thanks for the feedback and advice,being there was some doubts early on I was inspired to follow up,it’s just a learning experience for me to clean items first,,,

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always check. Silver turns a dark gray color when oxidized as well. You can pick up an acid test kit on Amazon or Ebay for $10-$15.

I have found a few pieces that I automatically thought were junk jewelry, till after being home and checking them, only to be surprised.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr.Excavator ,,Happy hunting to you as well,thanks for your advice well said,,,I never ever thought I would need to get so so many tools to make things easier,either way I just enjoy getting out and perhaps come home with more than I left with,

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In this hobby I find the following tools/equipment very handy to have:

PM test kit
Digital scale
Rock Tumbler
Ultrasonic cleaner
Digital microscope

Each has come in very handy along the way.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS,thanks for your advice and for stopping here and for the privilege of your time,,I quickly better start to ask my family members to get me some of these items for Christmas ,,And the most important topic of this conversation is my sincere Thank You for your service to our country,,

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irishgoldhound,,thanks for stopping again and for the privilege of your time,,I put this special star in this forum hoping that all would enjoy seeing it,not thinking I should have first cleaned it,,nevertheless I don’t have a scale yet,I just spent a lot of money getting my car repaired,I would also like to get another detector,,in closing I hope that you can get a heatwave where you are that will melt some ice that perhaps will allow you a shot at finding that elusive pot of gold..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did some tests at home to check for this gold item,item was stamped with 14k stamp
Real gold will sink in water,placed in water and it went to the bottom
Try to clean,used baking soda,boiling water,and tooth brush
Results were positive,,Thanks to all For inspiring me to follow up,,,

That is the real deal baby! Congrats on the Golden Ticket! Any jeweler will weigh it free, and can help you calculate the melt value at spot that day. :occasion14:

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman,,A sincere thank you for stopping and for your advice,I don’t understand and don’t have any knowledge in selling gold items as I never done it,I think along with the weight is it also based on what K it is,,also when selling does the jeweler offer you a percentage of total market value,looking forward to see a great video hopefully soon,take care

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right, any jeweler can tell you if its genuine or not, I'd go with a precious metals test kit because who wants to go shopping these days? I have all the above mentioned tools, high powered UV lights, a diamond saw, dremel and drill press setup and a baby deer in the lawn!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
You bet Bill, 14k right now is worth just shy of $34.00 US per gram. Yes some jewellers will sell your piece of jewelry or ring on consignment possibly getting you more $$$ than selling to a gold buyer. The bad thing can be you may wait a long time for someone to buy your item from the jeweller. Higher valued jewelry with diamonds may be worth the wait. Smaller gold rings and plain gold,..myself I would just sell to a gold buyer. Right now I’m not selling any of my gold. Gold is going to go much much higher through the next decade so I’m stashing all my rings and gold. Lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat,Thanks again for your advice,,indeed I never ever realized I should have these items,Up here not being a area where there was many historical battles like the CW, etc..my chances of getting banner finds like your fantastic finds is slim to none,,After the many many 100 mile a day driving days to work and back for me just getting out and hopefully come home with more than I left with would be rewarding,,Someday my wife and I would love to have a chance of a lifetime to find a CW relic,,Looking forward to seeing your next treasures

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irishgoldhound. Thank you for sharing ,,indeed I think the prices will Continue to rise,for me I enjoy on a rainy day just to take some items that I found and just re look at them. On this post I learned a lot and want to thank you and all my forum members for taking their time giving me sound advice and tips

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN hi thank you for stopping again. I had to do some homework to see for myself what can I do without going into a crowded jewelry shop..so I did some testing and thankfully everything passed.its a beautiful find for me ..I can only hope to continue to be blessed during future hunts..take care

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey good news... like to see your star is a real ray of light.

I know its in my response to your PM... but... thanks again for your gratitude towards Tnet members... FOR... it does make a difference. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC Thank you for the privilege of your time stopping here..For me after working many many years making medical devices that saves lives ..a couple of them is the US Blood Bank our devices are in the blood testers before the blood is stored and the new rapid Covid tester..on the other hand when I look at the amount of posts some people put up in the thousands they are the ones that set a example for others here.i hope to grow in this forum and one way for me to achieve this is to learn and listen for together even though we are many many miles apart going forward our journey remains the same as we continue to search for that elusive pot of gold..in closing thanks for your advice and hope your next hunt is truly rewarding. All the best Bill

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations Bill. Awesome find and great clean up! Couldn’t happen to a nicer person. Best of luck out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread