Help!!! I've fallen and I can't get up!

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thankfully not quite that bad yet. While recovering targets the other day I couldn't believe how difficult it has become to stand up from a kneeling position. It was almost funny in that I would lose my balance and almost fall on my head. Not something to look forward to for you younger guys. I hopefully have a fix. I'm ordering a White's Ground Hawg Shovel to not only dig the plug but also to use as a cane. I have enjoyed metal detecting since 02 or 03 it's certainly better than being a couch potato and watching the Boob Tube 24/7

Upvote 0

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain Tom. I turned 70 on friday and am also slow to stand up from a kneeling position. When I go to the beach I rarely kneel down, usually bend over to find target with the carrot. But when I go to a park, yep, I knee down and am slow to get back on my feet. I work part time at the flight school maintenance shop at our local airport and have to kneel several times a day. But, as you said, better than being a couch potato.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain Tom. I turned 70 on friday and am also slow to stand up from a kneeling position. When I go to the beach I rarely kneel down, usually bend over to find target with the carrot. But when I go to a park, yep, I knee down and am slow to get back on my feet. I work part time at the flight school maintenance shop at our local airport and have to kneel several times a day. But, as you said, better than being a couch potato.

Happy B-day.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have neuropathy in both feet and in ankles - cant feel a thing - guy ran over my foot and i never felt it
so makes it hard to walk and get up from kneeling - water hunting isnt bad but land is rough and yes ive fallen many
times even shallow water with rocks is the hardest - i cant feel the large rocks and trip and stumble
have fallen on my face

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry for you because using the CZ21 is your passion. At least detecting waist to chest deep with a wetsuit and the right amount of lead in the weight belt must help alleviate the discomfort you are feeling. I ordered a Whites Ground Hawg shovel from Kellyco yesterday. They only had 29 left. I'll comment on it after using it for a few days. I'll still have to use a hand shovel if target is deeper than plug. I also carry a Frisbee to put scoops of soil into. It makes it easier to locate target rather than have it fall back into the grass and makes plug replacement much easier and neat and carry a foam pad to kneel on. Now I'm sure I'll look like Super Nerd

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We are all on the same path, weeks ago we lost so much sand the stair access was hanging in mid air. When I came back I wound up crawling onto the bottom step side ways then rolling up. Must have looked like a giant 1 year old child climbing a staircase for the first time. More and more I feel like - who cares? anyway. Good hunting

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom from mass. Happy Birthday I joined the seventy club this year also...check out the kneeler with handles perhaps it will help

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well thankfully not quite that bad yet. While recovering targets the other day I couldn't believe how difficult it has become to stand up from a kneeling position. It was almost funny in that I would lose my balance and almost fall on my head. Not something to look forward to for you younger guys. I hopefully have a fix. I'm ordering a White's Ground Hawg Shovel to not only dig the plug but also to use as a cane. I have enjoyed metal detecting since 02 or 03 it's certainly better than being a couch potato and watching the Boob Tube 24/7

This is why I mostly only beach hunt. I sort and spread the sand with my feet and shake it with the scoop. No kneeling!

BTW I occasionally ride motocross with two guys who are 72 and 82! They are good riders. Hope I am able to do that some day.

Last edited:

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand , completely. I'm 75 and have all sorts of health problems, B U T it does not stop me from heading out into the fields-woods.
Here's the MAIN thing I found out by mistake! I recently shot a small buck deer, he ran around a small hill and dropped. I managed to get his head in a fork of a small tree, his body pointing down hill. I began to field dress him, leaning over and my head pointing down hill. All of a sudden!! I heard a voice!! " *****. are you ok? should I call 911"? It was my smart Ass Apple Watch! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My blood pressure was up, heart rate was up and my head was sloping down hill. I pressed the button to end the conversation, and continued to gut the buck. Then again, "****, are you ok, should I call 911?". I pressed the button again to end the conversation.
The point is! If I Was having another heart attack, (3) so far-5 stints and a stroke, I could have gotten help in the woods, on a mountain in Tennessee.
I usually hunt and MD with my girlfriend, she was in NC that week, so I was hunting on our land about 100 yards from the house. Cell phones are great, but a Smart Ass Apple Watch gives you a lot of freedom, such as being a Dick Tracy wanna be, and able to talk into your watch, while gutting a buck. mmmmm I didn't have my cell phone with me, but I did have my SAAW. hahah

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry for you because using the CZ21 is your passion. At least detecting waist to chest deep with a wetsuit and the right amount of lead in the weight belt must help alleviate the discomfort you are feeling. I ordered a Whites Ground Hawg shovel from Kellyco yesterday. They only had 29 left. I'll comment on it after using it for a few days. I'll still have to use a hand shovel if target is deeper than plug. I also carry a Frisbee to put scoops of soil into. It makes it easier to locate target rather than have it fall back into the grass and makes plug replacement much easier and neat and carry a foam pad to kneel on. Now I'm sure I'll look like Super Nerd

I also carry a foam pad to kneel when it can't be avoided. Good idea about the frisbee. I gave the few promo frisbees I had to my son's lab. Time to get another one.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom from mass. Happy Birthday I joined the seventy club this year also...check out the kneeler with handles perhaps it will help
Happy B-day too both of you guys. I hit 70 also this year. I live 5 minutes from the beach but I mostly go for the beach combing. A crowded beach is 5-6 people total, both directions, so no lost coins and gold.

Many time I will sit in the pebbles and look for sea glass and agates. I feel like a fool rolling around in the pebbles to get up but no one here to see me. Now on solid ground I don't have any problem getting up except I know I will get dizzy for about 10 seconds. I have several small gardens and like to get down to their level to weed and all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread