Got My New Scoop and CF Handle - Need Suggestions!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my new Dune "Kraken" 11" x 8" Stainless scoop, and CKG carbon fiber handle. The pre-drilled hole in the handle does not line up (1") when I fully seat the handle in the scoop. Should I insert a dowl in the bottom of the handle and glue it, re-drill another hole? Should I use duct-tape or electrical tape to make up the play between handle and scoop? Suggestions?:skullflag:

Attachments

• P1090698.JPG
    P1090698.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • P1090697.JPG
    P1090697.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • P1090694.JPG
    P1090694.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • P1090699.JPG
    P1090699.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at the scoop a bit, I think it should work find in the dry sand and maybe mild use in the wet. After heavy use in the wet or if there are rocks or hard pack, I don't think it will hold up to that type of use/abuse. In a rocky area, the bottom will probably cave in, and it needs some gusseting in the upper corners, or, it will start to crack there. With our coarser sand here at some of our local beaches, I prefer a scoop with bigger holes too. That would clog something awful at most of my beaches.

Iggy_AZ

Sep 26, 2020
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Minelab SD2200V2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job Terry
We both have now the same Minelab Vanquish 540 and now I know the sand scoop I need.
What was your final decision on the handle head looseness?

Good job!
John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job Terry
We both have now the same Minelab Vanquish 540 and now I know the sand scoop I need.
What was your final decision on the handle head looseness?

Good job!
John

Going to try a C-clamp on my next trip out. That should hold it in place better.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A C-clamp? :icon_scratch: How is that going to work?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks great, should work fine!
I'd suggest using Friction tape on the handle.....
I use it on my MD handles, with no issues, even when muddy and soaking wet.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A C-clamp? :icon_scratch: How is that going to work?

Probably the wrong nomenclature Cudamark, I pay someone to change my oil and headlights!:laughing7: I guess like a stainless steel worm clamp?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I think you mean a U-bolt like what Dewcon shows in one of his responses. Just make sure it's a stainless one.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your scoop looks just like the one I bought off ebay a few years ago. It came from the Ukraine for $60.00
Now $49.00

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zip-tie one to the inside bottom of the basket.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting buddy uses a PVC EXTENSION to take up the slack on his handle..... like me thou he also uses a shovel handle with a dowel already inserted.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not paying $180.00 for a C.F. shaft (up here) on my Stavr Monstrik, to scoop fresh water lakes maybe 5-8 times in a year. I bought a $25.00 hockey stick with a laminated shaft, sawed it off, taped up some play, then shoved it in. Time will tell how this works, but it's infinitely lighter than my wooden shovel handle.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I'm not paying $180.00 for a C.F. shaft (up here) on my Stavr Monstrik, to scoop fresh water lakes maybe 5-8 times in a year. I bought a $25.00 hockey stick with a laminated shaft, sawed it off, taped up some play, then shoved it in. Time will tell how this works, but it's infinitely lighter than my wooden shovel handle.

Hockey stick has to much bend/play in it. Take that thing into some rocks and It will bend and break faster than a wood handle will. Plus I wouldn’t think it fits in the scoop hole very well being square. Hockey sticks are meant to flex and bend for wrist and slap shots. You’re better off with a wooden ash handle that is made for digging. Buy a wood handle for half the price of your hockey stick at Home Depot

Last edited:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hockey stick has to much bend/play in it. Take that thing into some rocks and It will bend and break faster than a wood handle will. Plus I wouldn’t think it fits in the scoop hole very well being square. Hockey sticks are meant to flex and bend for wrist and slap shots. You’re better off with a wooden ash handle that is made for digging. Buy a wood handle for half the price of your hockey stick at Home Depot

Yes you may very well be 100% correct. I have my Ash handle from last year sitting in the closet, if this turns to a heap of steaming dog rockets. Sticks have various levels of flex, I got low flex. And the forces are lateral on a shot. I am going forward/back, which is also the direction of the many layer laminate of the shaft. I got a tip that I might try, sheath the bottom foot or so in some thin wall poly tube for a little extra stress dispersion. I just need 11/4 inch O.D. I have months to play with this. But thank you for your input, it is appreciated, and you may very well be right. I have to see though.
:coffee2:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you’re using a low flex hockey stick, it’ll bend easier than a higher flex stick. When you’re prying something up, you don’t want spring and flexing Good luck.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had the Stealth 920ix for about 6 years now. For a handle, I used a post hole digger handle for about $10. Carrying it outside of the water, it is heavy. But in the water if I let go of it, it floats upright in the water so I just have to reach out for it.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you’re using a low flex hockey stick, it’ll bend easier than a higher flex stick. When you’re prying something up, you don’t want spring and flexing Good luck.

It's an experiment, with a back up. I have zero worries about sand and smaller gravel bottoms. But rock and clay will indeed be a test. Thank you for your input. I will bring the Ash shaft with me as a back up. I actually popped an Ash shovel shaft in year two of use in some deep soft sucking mud, so I'm not super gentle with these things. Right now I love the light weight of the set up. If it is a failed experiment, it will be number 3, 856,329 of my life's mistakes. I'm listening to you buddy, but I have to follow this through.
:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread