Got My New Scoop and CF Handle - Need Suggestions!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my new Dune "Kraken" 11" x 8" Stainless scoop, and CKG carbon fiber handle. The pre-drilled hole in the handle does not line up (1") when I fully seat the handle in the scoop. Should I insert a dowl in the bottom of the handle and glue it, re-drill another hole? Should I use duct-tape or electrical tape to make up the play between handle and scoop? Suggestions?:skullflag:

Attachments

• P1090698.JPG
    P1090698.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • P1090697.JPG
    P1090697.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • P1090694.JPG
    P1090694.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • P1090699.JPG
    P1090699.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 133
Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
It's an experiment, with a back up. I have zero worries about sand and smaller gravel bottoms. But rock and clay will indeed be a test. Thank you for your input. I will bring the Ash shaft with me as a back up. I actually popped an Ash shovel shaft in year two of use in some deep soft sucking mud, so I'm not super gentle with these things. Right now I love the light weight of the set up. If it is a failed experiment, it will be number 3, 856,329 of my life's mistakes. I'm listening to you buddy, but I have to follow this through.
:icon_thumleft:

Whatever turns your crank man lol. Hope it holds up. I’m sure it will as long as you don’t reef on it.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever turns your crank man lol. Hope it holds up. I’m sure it will as long as you don’t reef on it.
I haven't screwed it in yet so I might slip a thinner wall chunk of pvc tube in the bottom foot or two. If it all snaps and I'm left sucking my thumb in chest deep water, I blame you. Because you didn't send all of this telepathically to me, when I was looking at hockey sticks as a cheap out.
:tongue3: :laughing7:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I haven't screwed it in yet so I might slip a thinner wall chunk of pvc tube in the bottom foot or two. If it all snaps and I'm left sucking my thumb in chest deep water, I blame you. Because you didn't send all of this telepathically to me, when I was looking at hockey sticks as a cheap out.
:tongue3: :laughing7:

Hahaha. I always bring a spare handle, hammer, chisel or drill with spade bit to core out the broken end just incase I break a handle. It’s happened once at a beach 2 hrs away about 15 min into my hunt. I always bring 2 scoops and extra handles.

Parkerized

Oct 11, 2006
Coastal North Cackylacki
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
For you guys using carbon fiber handles with stainless steel scoops, rivets or bolts (aluminum with stainless bolts as well). When used in saltwater you will get a galvanic reaction (you're basically making a battery) which will corrode the surfaces. Coat with epoxy or Tefgel to create a barrier and it won't be an issue.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carbon fiber reacts with stainless steel? :icon_scratch:. How long does that take? Mine has been in the surf for many years now and I haven't seen a thing......

Parkerized

Oct 11, 2006
Coastal North Cackylacki
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
Yep it does. I race sailboats (and rigged professionally for a year) with carbon fiber parts that had stainless hardware, it all had to have a barrier of some kind between the two. CF and aluminum is worse. Rinsing it with freshwater goes a long way and even then it may never get bad enough to be an issue, but if you are putting it together yourself and especially if it needs a shim or spacer why take the chance?
"Stainless Steel

There is no evidence of the formation of corrosion for stainless steels coupled to carbon composite. However, it is reported that some types of stainless steels (such as types 410 or 301) are susceptible to localized corrosion (pitting corrosion and crevice corrosion) when they are connected to a carbon composite in aerated 3.5% NaCl (simulated seawater). It is believed that the pitting corrosion will be enhanced by increasing Ac/Aa. (For more information about pitting corrosion, see A Look at High Nitrogen Stainless Steels .)"
Source: https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galv...ed-to-carbon-fiber-reinforced-polymers/2/1556

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum I can understand.....when it corrodes, it swells. I just haven't run across any stainless that did that. There are different alloys of stainless though, so, I guess it's possible with some of them. I have found stainless items that had holes corroded in them, but, they still hadn't swelled at all.......just eaten away.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure I did, I'm just saying that I haven't run across any situation where stainless swelled due to corrosion....and I've had carbon fiber handles on my stainless scoops in the ocean for years. I've also found lots of stainless fasteners and hardware from watercraft that show no ill effects from being in the ocean. I'm sure you can always find some combination of materials that will cause some sort of chemical reaction, I just haven't run across any of those situations. Probably a fairly rare occurrence or I guess I've just been lucky. Maybe in the boating community it's a problem, but, is it for us regular detectorist? Am I the only lucky one here? Has anyone else had a problem with stainless corrosion in their detecting equipment?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread