Got My New Scoop and CF Handle - Need Suggestions! - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Got My New Scoop and CF Handle - Need Suggestions!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9500 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Carbon fiber reacts with stainless steel? . How long does that take? Mine has been in the surf for many years now and I haven't seen a thing......
    OBN and Terry Soloman like this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Oct 2006
    Coastal North Cackylacki
    Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
    15 times
    Yep it does. I race sailboats (and rigged professionally for a year) with carbon fiber parts that had stainless hardware, it all had to have a barrier of some kind between the two. CF and aluminum is worse. Rinsing it with freshwater goes a long way and even then it may never get bad enough to be an issue, but if you are putting it together yourself and especially if it needs a shim or spacer why take the chance?
    "Stainless Steel

There is no evidence of the formation of corrosion for stainless steels coupled to carbon composite. However, it is reported that some types of stainless steels (such as types 410 or 301) are susceptible to localized corrosion (pitting corrosion and crevice corrosion) when they are connected to a carbon composite in aerated 3.5% NaCl (simulated seawater). It is believed that the pitting corrosion will be enhanced by increasing Ac/Aa. (For more information about pitting corrosion, see A Look at High Nitrogen Stainless Steels .)"
    Source: https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galva...olymers/2/1556
    Last edited by Parkerized; Feb 21, 2021 at 04:31 PM.
    Terry Soloman likes this.
    Parkerized

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9500 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Aluminum I can understand.....when it corrodes, it swells. I just haven't run across any stainless that did that. There are different alloys of stainless though, so, I guess it's possible with some of them. I have found stainless items that had holes corroded in them, but, they still hadn't swelled at all.......just eaten away.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Oct 2006
    Coastal North Cackylacki
    15 times
    I guess you didn't read the quote or the link.
    Parkerized

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    9500 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Sure I did, I'm just saying that I haven't run across any situation where stainless swelled due to corrosion....and I've had carbon fiber handles on my stainless scoops in the ocean for years. I've also found lots of stainless fasteners and hardware from watercraft that show no ill effects from being in the ocean. I'm sure you can always find some combination of materials that will cause some sort of chemical reaction, I just haven't run across any of those situations. Probably a fairly rare occurrence or I guess I've just been lucky. Maybe in the boating community it's a problem, but, is it for us regular detectorist? Am I the only lucky one here? Has anyone else had a problem with stainless corrosion in their detecting equipment?
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Oct 2006
    Coastal North Cackylacki
    15 times
    Parkerized

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links