Got My New Scoop and CF Handle - Need Suggestions!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my new Dune "Kraken" 11" x 8" Stainless scoop, and CKG carbon fiber handle. The pre-drilled hole in the handle does not line up (1") when I fully seat the handle in the scoop. Should I insert a dowl in the bottom of the handle and glue it, re-drill another hole? Should I use duct-tape or electrical tape to make up the play between handle and scoop? Suggestions?:skullflag:

Attachments

• P1090698.JPG
    P1090698.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • P1090697.JPG
    P1090697.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • P1090694.JPG
    P1090694.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • P1090699.JPG
    P1090699.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 133
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dowel might not be a bad idea assuming it wouldn't swell up and break the shaft. With or without the dowel, I think I'd be tempted to take a hack saw and cut a slot in the top of the scoop tube. Maybe as deep as the hole, but 90 degrees from it. Then wrap the shaft with a layer of electrical tape, seat the shaft all the way down, and then use a U-clamp where you made the cut to hold it in place. If you're familiar with what a vehicle exhaust pipe clamp looks like, something along that line, but, made of stainless if you can find one. Don't over-tighten. Just enough to keep the shaft from moving. You can always re-tighten later when it loosens up.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no fan of carbon fiber. An arrow thing maybe... Splinters and fractures if abused and repeatedly stressed.

Anyways , your handle is an inch short when bottomed out?
There's a lot of ferrule there , maybe a plastic or nylon bushing dropped on the bottom to raise the handle cross hole height?

Not sure how to shim or build up the handle diameter for wet use.
Rubber , maybe tool handle coating (plasti dip or whatever it's called) or liquid electrical tape?

A plastic sleeve/bushing only at the top of ferrule would likely allow lower end to wobble still.

Last edited:

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
Is there a solid plug inside the CF shaft? If so how far does it go in the shaft?
It may be better to drill another hole in the scoop and not the CF shaft to protect its integrity. scoop can be welded.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the wooden dowel, and cut off the 3" length needed. I coated it in "Flex Seal," let it partially dry and inserted it inside the scoop, then hit it with the Flex Seal again. I then inserted the carbon fiber handle into the scoop fitting, over the dowel that slipped into the handle with a bit of force, lined up the pre-drilled hole and put the bolt through with washers. I used old guitar picks as shives filling that with the the Flex Seal as well. Ugly, but no play - Hooray! :skullflag:

Attachments

• P1090702.JPG
    P1090702.JPG
    898.2 KB · Views: 121
  • P1090701.JPG
    P1090701.JPG
    734.7 KB · Views: 121
  • P1090705.JPG
    P1090705.JPG
    705.9 KB · Views: 109
  • P1090700.JPG
    P1090700.JPG
    755.4 KB · Views: 141

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Should work, if not saw a guy on the beach that used thin wall copper plumbing pipe that fit over the CF and inside the scoop tube. Looked like this for a tub drain: Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 7.36.35 AM.png

On mine, I used fiberglass drywall mesh tape to take up the slack enough to use this epoxy. 3M Scotch-Weld Acrylic Adhesive DP8410NS, Green, 45 mL Duo-Pak

Only other suggestion is the wood dowel, does it extend up past the scoop tube so the bending force is not just on the hollow CF handle? I plugged it past that point as several other builders do it.

Regards

Last edited:

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
If it's not a near perfect fit to start with I've found that after some use they will start getting a little play and that annoys the crap out of me.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing like a new toy for Christmas! Very NIce!

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Try a “Chicago screw”. They are used alot in horse “tac”.
I looked them up on www and there also called a “sex bolt”?. Please dont quote me on that one but they are handy and can be a good fix for a smooth rivet feel thats easy to adjust when needed.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Mr. Soloman, I would say you are ready to play....Good Luck. Also, how much is a good scoop? I want one but not sure what might be the best features?? I would use it in lakes here in Michigan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Mr. Soloman, I would say you are ready to play....Good Luck. Also, how much is a good scoop? I want one but not sure what might be the best features?? I would use it in lakes here in Michigan.

I used an aluminum RTG (Reilly's Treasured Gold) for 8-years, but the nose of the scoop was finally worn away, and all my buddies were going to the stainless steel scoops with the carbon fiber handles to cut down on weight. A good scoop new starts at about $150.00 and goes up to around $350.00. My set up was $180.00 with tax and shipping, and then another $15 for the dowel, Flex Seal, and screw. :skullflag:

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
I used an aluminum RTG (Reilly's Treasured Gold) for 8-years, but the nose of the scoop was finally worn away, and all my buddies were going to the stainless steel scoops with the carbon fiber handles to cut down on weight. A good scoop new starts at about $150.00 and goes up to around $350.00. My set up was $180.00 with tax and shipping, and then another $15 for the dowel, Flex Seal, and screw. :skullflag:

You did good.
I also used the aluminum RTG , after using a stainless scoop I never looked back the sand slides out so easy and quick out of the stainless. No more emptying the scoop and it does not empty.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Wrap handle w waterproof duct tape or the like and make sure you have to pound the heck out of it to ensure a very tight fit. Cap off with a tap screw in already drilled hole and mark top of handle so you know location of scoop front then go detecting. Can't tell ya how many wood handles I've gone through in just past 5 yrs (4-6 I think) and even broke 2 RTG aluminum scoops in my line of detecting rocky shores, but the carbon fiber handle has provided me w countless hrs of MDing w/o a single break or even loose handle, per se, but on my second SS scoop so far. Happy Hunting

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the great advice and suggestions! So here is what my Step Up looks like!

Attachments

• IMG_4486.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 111

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the shaft starts wobbling maybe get a bicycle innertube and slide it on the shaft to take up the gap.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry i use fiberglass shovel handles which of course already have a dowel.... so id recommend one. With one hole what i was finding the pulling and twisting id end up cracking the handle. 002.jpg This is what i ended up doing over the single hole.... SS Ubolt never had any movement since. But a dowel....yes id recommend it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry i use fiberglass shovel handles which of course already have a dowel.... so id recommend one. With one hole what i was finding the pulling and twisting id end up cracking the handle. View attachment 1888788 This is what i ended up doing over the single hole.... SS Ubolt never had any movement since. But a dowel....yes id recommend it.

That's what I was recommending to Terry. With a carbon fiber handle, I'd wrap it in electrical tape to take up any slack, and cut a slot in the tube so it will compress evenly around the handle to hold it firmly without crushing it.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, if your attempt to make up the gap wears out just take some West system epoxy and fiberglass cloth and glass up the area where it goes into the scoop. One layer of glass cloth will probably suffice and if it comes out a little too thick you can just sand it down to a perfect fit. I do this often building fishing rods, it isn't hard to do. I must say I am a little surprised the handle doesn't fit the scoop perfectly, many scoops are made to fit the handles perfectly, don't know why yours doesn't. If you glass it up it will last forever which no tape will do. You could also use carbon fiber cloth but it is harder to find than the glass which is sold at any marine supply shop. I have some 4" wide glass cloth around if you want it and if I can find it. You have to sand the shaft lightly to make a good surface for the epoxy to stick to and soak the epoxy fully into the glass cloth.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Terry
If you do use duct tape make it the black industrial type. It’s better than the old grey type. Nice looking scoop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread