Mangrove relic hunt - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: Mangrove relic hunt

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    specjalista od kopania paznokci

Jun 2017
    O-H-I-O
    Garret ATMAX
    66790 times
    digging history of my farm
    Nice little spot and finds, Bart! I, also, like the pulley. When we were on the island in Belize, we were in a small patch of tree roots on the shoreline. Mostly picking up trash, but also looking for cool stuff. My friend stuck her hand in the water to pick something up and got stuck with a syringe. Kinda scary. Be careful out there.
    "Those who do not look upon themselves as a link connecting the past with the future do not perform their duty to the world."
    ~Daniel Webster (January 18, 1782 — October 24, 1852)

My digging site:

https://youtu.be/Q3rCYkrIq8E

https://youtu.be/lJ_UbtEwGrc

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    28187 times
    Dang Bart!
    What the heck has been goin on in the mangroves?
    Shore lunch/picnic? Taking on fuel/firewood for a steamer? Woodcutting party?
    Thieves hideout?

The mix of silverware includes the dainty/fancy stuff. Maybe a thief didn't know much of it was plated at first?
    It would have been a formal picnic with choice eats to need those type utensils. Pickle or olive forks? Who brings them in a swamp? L.o.l..
    Not iguana on a stick stuff anyways.
    Blak bart, ANTIQUARIAN and pepperj like this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    17626 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Bart.
    This is where you wanna bring a small boat to explore. If I were a 1715 survivor,or a pirate,or a really mean hurricane this is where I would of hid the "Loot" Easy in & out to the ocean via Sebastian Inlet, and easy to find again. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	1891521.

Charter Member
    ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    70649 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Bart,

The ship spike is the star of the show wtg!

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    Equinox 800
    540 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Bart.
    This is where you wanna bring a small boat to explore. If I were a 1715 survivor,or a pirate,or a really mean hurricane this is where I would of hid the "Loot" Easy in & out to the ocean via Sebastian Inlet, and easy to find again. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	1891521.
    Sebastian River, may be Roger, you never know. The island gets pretty narrow in that area, easy to haul (haulover) a small craft to explore.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    Equinox 800
    540 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blak bart View Post
    i wanted to get in the water but the weather had other plans...so instead it was into the mangrove bush.Attachment 1891473got some silver dimes and a handful of wheats.
    Attachment 1891475
    Also got some great maritime relics.Attachment 1891476Attachment 1891477Attachment 1891478 I was super happy with the mini bronze double block pulley!!Attachment 1891479Attachment 1891480Attachment 1891481 got a wheat penny that had been shot by a 22. Also had a shotgun headstamp that had also been shot by a 22 round....BOOM !!Attachment 1891482
    Attachment 1891483
    Ended up with a half dozen plated pieces of silverware...5 forks a spoon and a knife handle.Attachment 1891485Attachment 1891486 plenty of bullets and shells also.Attachment 1891487 plenty of other miscellaneous finds also. Nothing mind blowing but a nice steady day of digging !! Wooo hooo !! Got to admit that seeing those ships dividers on the banner board really got me motivated...thanks FloridaSon....and happy hunting everyone !!

Got to take a picture of some funky looking plate thingy...might be some kind of art deco ashtray or something its soaking !!
    Great job Bart. Makes you wonder why folks would travel by canoe or kayak to shoot shotguns and 22's in that grown up mangrove.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
    1622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sphillips View Post
    Great job Bart. Makes you wonder why folks would travel by canoe or kayak to shoot shotguns and 22's in that grown up mangrove.
    If I remember the info from our family vacation in Sanibel last year, when we took a trip to a preserve, the mangroves will "move" with the shifting shoreline or water depth. I'm not sure how much it may have shifted since these were lost.
    But, I was looking around Roseate Island in Sebastian a couple of years ago when I noticed some type of metal warning sign to boaters about 20' into the mangroves. Evidently, it use to be on the shore in the 60's(?).

RTR, Mel fisher would have liked the way you think. I understand he took an excursion up river to see if there were defensive areas that might have interested the 1715 salvors.
    Last edited by PetesPockets55; Jan 06, 2021 at 07:34 AM.
    ANTIQUARIAN, RTR and Blak bart like this.

Charter Member
    ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
    19048 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Loved reading your post and watching your video Bart, I 'liked' your video and 'subscribed' as well.

I really like the mini bronze double block pulley, now what would that have been used on?
    The first old fork you picked up is probably the oldest of the lot, based on the style I'm thinking late 1800s.

Dave
    Blak bart and PetesPockets55 like this.
    Antiquarian - a person who collects and studies antiquities or relics of the past.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    42430 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blak bart View Post
    7mm roger.
    It broke off right at the taper roger....the bullet and the tapered part are probably on the floorboard of my truck !!
    RTR and PetesPockets55 like this.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    42430 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by sphillips View Post
    So to understand just where and when people used these remote spots one has to keep in mind that the highway is a relatively new invention to the islands.....the real highway in the past was the hawk channel that runs the length of the keys. Many islands that were frequented in the past are now cut off from access. When the main source of travel was by boat many of these remote places today were actually popular before the highway and cars changed the way people traveled. Also before the modern day wave of parks and conservation hunting was a way of life for the old conchs/settlers. Heron, egret,and ibis/curlew were definitely on the menu. What at one time was beautiful white sand beach can be completely engulfed in mangrove now. Throw in a hundred years of storms and hurricanes....and things can change dramatically in less than a weeks time. Artifacts are both covered in one spot and uncovered in another by the shifting sands and king tides. Lately its the shifting piles of seaweed that frustrate me. Seems there is more and more of it in the last few years !! So many dynamics involved in hunting down here....I just keep checking conditions until a window of opportunity opens for me....I love wandering the shifting sands and coastline !! I truly enjoy beachcombing at my core !! Just an old conch at heart....carrying on a tradition that goes back to the heart and soul of keys life...beachcombing!!
    wahoo caught in bahamas

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    17626 times
    Sphillips and PetesPockets 55
    You guys live in the area. Get together & Hit those islands I posted in Post #18
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    42430 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetesPockets55 View Post
    If I remember the info from our family vacation on a preserve in Sanibel last year, the mangroves will "move" with the shifting shoreline or water depth. I'm not sure how much it may have shifted since these were lost.
    But, I was looking around Roseate Island in Sebastian a couple of years ago when I noticed some type of metal warning sign to boaters about 20' into the mangroves. Evidently it use to be on the shore in the 60's(?).

RTR, Mel fisher would have liked the way you think. I understand he took an excursion up river to see if there were defensive areas that might have interested the 1715 salvors.
    100% correct pete....mangroves grow much faster than people think. They can completely take over in just a few years if unchecked. They can also be blasted and uprooted in a single night of hurricane storm surge. Not many people know this but the last storm ETA shifted alot of sand and changed things more than people expected....every storm and king tide is a game changer down here....im still exploring ETA damaged ground !!
    wahoo caught in bahamas

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    42430 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTIQUARIAN View Post
    Loved reading your post and watching your video Bart, I 'liked' your video and 'subscribed' as well.

I really like the mini bronze double block pulley, now what would that have been used on?
    The first old fork you picked up is probably the oldest of the lot, based on the style I'm thinking late 1800s.

Dave
    Thank you dave....I've been pondering what that little block could've been used for ?? Pennant flag halyard maybe ?? Ships tackle and rigging can be found just about anywhere down here....imagine all the busted lumber and ships timbers that have washed up on the beaches of the keys !! Ships timbers with bits of rigging could wash up on a beach miles from the actual wreck site. The rigging eventually gets knocked off or rots off and then settles in the sands of time....just waiting for me to find it...wooo hooo...anything is possible down here ya just never know what will pop up next !!
    RTR, pepperj and PetesPockets55 like this.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    17626 times
    Yeah for their time they were Monsters ! Someplace I read it to 1,000 trees to build one
    Blak bart and PetesPockets55 like this.

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    42430 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Wish they were doing that in the keys....I would be a volunteer for sure !!
    wahoo caught in bahamas

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links