Advice on hunting swimming area after lake drawdown

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m going to detect the swimming areas at a local lake that is on drawdown now. They lower the lake by opening the dam in the coldest month here in NW Florida to frost kill the grass and allow for dock maintenance. I’m not a water hunter but I’ve recently got the Nokta Simplex I’m going to use. I’m an experienced dry land MD’er with very limited beach time. Any tips for a first timer at swimming areas? It’s going to be mostly sand and silt from the lake bottom, probably a 3 - 4 foot drop in water level. I’m planning on wearing rubber boots and staying relatively dry. Thoughts for a newb? Google earth shot before water is lowered.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4382738F-1D44-47B4-B821-E329147DC4A2.jpeg
    4382738F-1D44-47B4-B821-E329147DC4A2.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you’re just wearing rubber boots it’s not going to allow you to get out too far unless the 4 foot drop does let you get out quite far. The most productive area can be around the docks. If you can get out that far with the water level drop then I’d try around there first. Work from the shoreline out to as far as your boots will let you and then back up to the shoreline again in a snake like pattern covering entire area. You’ll need a good water scoop. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I’m hoping to hit it today. The docks and floating platforms are dry or close to dry now.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Check your state laws on felt soles b4 you spend the money on a good pair of waders. More and more places are banning felt bottoms because of transfer of bacteria and water species than can survive inside the felt.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps I'd recommend waders. The major issue you'll face is how deep you sink into the silt, and just boots won't sufficiently help you. I'd also recommend having a friend along to help pull you out of the muck!!!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GL+HH....!
That Simplex will do it...!
Have a waterproof pinpointer too...!

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I hit the water today. I didn’t go too deep since this place is very shallow, I was about 50 yards from the original water line and was just below the knees. I used the SP24 small coil and it seems to work great in the water. After a learning curve I was able to pick up about a dozen coins, a large earring or necklace medallion, lots of bottle caps and a dozen or so fishing weights. I’ve got a few more weeks to work on it before they raise the water to the normal level. I can get within about 10 yards from the far edge oh the swimming area.
I came home after about an hour and a half, tired, wet and muddy....but totally enjoyed it!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Well it sounds like their is a good chance for gold with all those fishing sinkers. Hunt it out cause I’m sure there is some yellow hiding in there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread