What a wasted morning!

margareedaville

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi fellas,

First post here, and figured now is better than never to share. I cleared my schedule this morning and decided to run down to the beach and hunt. I was pumped and couldn't wait. My 14 year old and I normally go on the weekends, and he's my scooper. Plus I've got some hella tendonitis in my right arm, so he's a good helper. Anyways, I load up and go, take a few Advils, and get after it.

I tell you what. The tide was -.9 when I arrived, the weather was gorgeous. After 3 hours, and very little strangers to bother me, I came up with literally 4 pennies. The other hundred holes I dug hurt my elbow like crazy, and yielded foil/aluminum ranging all over the VDI. Drove me nuts! Nox 800, Beach 1, sensitivity 10. I've got to get better at this!

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you had a lot going against you, Winter=less traffic to beach, and the pandemic=less traffic to beach, and worst of all you left your good luck charm and #1 digger at home. Better luck next time and don't forget your sidekick. He is your best find, make your trips about him and you, not the finds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

margareedaville

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree. He's all about finding things and I surely missed him.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! Do you hunt dry sand? wet sand? water? If that's the result from dry sand, move into the wet or water. If that's you water finds, go to another beach and return here when the conditions are better. Any reason you only hunt in Sensitivity 10? My usual setting is 20-22, horseshoe on, 50 tone, iron bias on F2 @ 6 for bottle cap rejection. Recovery speed will depend on target concentration and whether I'm in the water or not.

OP
OP
M

margareedaville

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! Do you hunt dry sand? wet sand? water? If that's the result from dry sand, move into the wet or water. If that's you water finds, go to another beach and return here when the conditions are better. Any reason you only hunt in Sensitivity 10? My usual setting is 20-22, horseshoe on, 50 tone, iron bias on F2 @ 6 for bottle cap rejection. Recovery speed will depend on target concentration and whether I'm in the water or not.

Mostly wet sand. I notice if the sensitivity is higher, it finds reeeeealy deep pull tabs. I'll try 20 next time, with the horseshoe on. I do like 50 tone, but I still don't understand the iron bias settings.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Mostly wet sand. I notice if the sensitivity is higher, it finds reeeeealy deep pull tabs. I'll try 20 next time, with the horseshoe on. I do like 50 tone, but I still don't understand the iron bias settings.

Really deep pull tabs is what you want to be digging.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish i could get out - sitting here with cast on my foot
so you are lucky you can at least get out
sending you luck
gd9.gif

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
...or you could have 3 more months of snow and ice covered frozen ground till you’re able to hunt like me. I miss digging pull tabs :(

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice on the equinox..it seems to me that there is a major learning curve required..Hopefully this year will be The one for Avitech

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi fellas,

First post here, and figured now is better than never to share. I cleared my schedule this morning and decided to run down to the beach and hunt. I was pumped and couldn't wait. My 14 year old and I normally go on the weekends, and he's my scooper. Plus I've got some hella tendonitis in my right arm, so he's a good helper. Anyways, I load up and go, take a few Advils, and get after it.

I tell you what. The tide was -.9 when I arrived, the weather was gorgeous. After 3 hours, and very little strangers to bother me, I came up with literally 4 pennies. The other hundred holes I dug hurt my elbow like crazy, and yielded foil/aluminum ranging all over the VDI. Drove me nuts! Nox 800, Beach 1, sensitivity 10. I've got to get better at this!

Are you on the Treasure Coast?

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back-of-the-boat hit the nail on the head! Make it about your son and less about finding treasure. Then when you do find treasure, its icing on top of the cake! Your kid won't stay young for long. Take advantage of every minute you can spend with him. All my kids are grown and gone searching for their place in life. Having them spend ANY time with me is better than finding any gold ring (at least for me)...just my two cents...happy hunting!

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you were finding really deep pull tabs, you'll find other things really deep...coins, jewelry, etc. I run no lower than 19 sensitivity when at the beach, and usually around 22. When at the beach, I use 2-tone...mainly because if it beeps anything other than iron, I generally dig it. Don't expect to find a lot of things at the beach when you go, it's still luck and being at the right place at the right time. My wife and I spent a few hours at the beach a couple weeks ago and all we got is a few pennies, nickels, a quarter, a Greek Euro and a dog tag...all modern.

Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're finding deep pull tabs and can slaw, your beach is sanded in. Find another beach or at least an area with hard packed sand. Usually hunting mushy sand is a waste of time and all you'll find is the light stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions