salt water advise - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: salt water advise

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    37351 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    OBN !, glad your still with us sir! Hope your doing well now after your adventure...
    OBN, midalake, AARC and 3 others like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971
    306th Bomb Wing Strategic Air Command
    Lackland AFB
    Lowery AFB
    McCoy AFB
    Kadena AFB 1968-1969, 1970-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I exercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

(Per Admins avatars and signatures do not fall under rules for politics.)

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9723 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    The Equinox is my go-to machine right now for just about all phases of detecting. If I'm going to be seriously in the surf and not just hitting the ankle lappers, I'd use an Excalibur. Other machines that work great at the beach, both in the wet and dry, would be any of the Minelab multifrequency machines such as the Sovereign, Explorer, Safari, Etrac, CTX, the Fisher CZ20/21, and any of the PI machines. If you want discrimination, get a multifrequency machine. Keep in mind that the CTX, CZ's, and Pi machines are the only other ones that are fully waterproof. The rest are only waterproof up to the control box, so, not recommended for water use. One accidental drop and they're history. There are plenty of other single frequency (or selective multifrequency) detectors out there such as the AT series, Deus, Anfibio, etc, but, they're not ideal in the salt either. They'll work to a point, but, they usually have to be tuned milder to get them stable and are therefor generally depth limited. In your price range, the Equinox is the way to go IMO.
    AARC and DeepseekerADS like this.
    "​Jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member

Aug 2014
    178 times
    In water like Joe just posted above the performance for the Equinox is very poor. Unhuntable in my opinion. One would need to get out further or up out of that wash.
    OBN likes this.

mjb

Feb 2021
    southern mayland
    32 times
    keep the info coming it helps a not thanks. called john at fort bed ford and talked to him very helpful.think im 80% there on my discussion.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    37351 times
    Nox works good in the water, if surf is rough then I wouldn't use it in surf. Excalibur works great in all water environments.
    AARC, NC Digger, OBN and 1 others like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971
    306th Bomb Wing Strategic Air Command
    Lackland AFB
    Lowery AFB
    McCoy AFB
    Kadena AFB 1968-1969, 1970-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I exercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

(Per Admins avatars and signatures do not fall under rules for politics.)

Charter Member
    us
    Reg

May 2020
    San Jose, CA
    MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
    765 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yeah, a lot of good feedback. If you don't plan on getting in the water, the Tarsacci, Equinox and Vanquish machines would be good. But if you plan on getting in the water, I'd probably opt for a machine that can be submerged like an Excalibur or the Sea Hunter. I'm sure there are a few others I've missed, and cost will be a major factor, but whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting!
    6mmslayer likes this.
    "The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future." Oscar Wilde

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17967 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I use a CZ21 and do Ok in water
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9z...D_Gglsg/videos

older vids I got out more
    wish i couldve done vids pre 2012
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

mjb

Feb 2021
    southern mayland
    32 times
    well decided on an equinox 600 got it in the mail this weekend took a little while to get use to but it worked grate after a little while I found an 1881 Indian head penny and a silver ring along with some other coins and many bottle caps very easy to use thanks for all the help.
    AARC, FloridaSon, midalake and 4 others like this.

pa
    Luciano

Feb 2021
    Panama, Central America
    Tesoro Golden Sabre Tesoro Sand Shark.......(Out of Order) Minelab Soveregn GT...(Out of Order too.) Gemini II (Long ago) Fisher 1280X (Long ago). T. Sensor....My first device. I tried dowsing. I tri
    31 times
    Metal Detecting
    An excellent machine for salt water is the Fisher 1280X It was my most productive machine until it failed
    Blak bart and DeepseekerADS like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9723 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano321 View Post
    An excellent machine for salt water is the Fisher 1280X It was my most productive machine until it failed
    Maybe 20-30 years ago. There's much better machines now......even by Fisher.
    OBN and DeepseekerADS like this.
    "​Jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Apr 2012
    Eastern Florida
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett AT Pro
    195 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I LOVE my Whites Surf PI! Unfortunately, the Whites factory has closed. You might be able still to find them new across the web. I just today ordered the Minelab Equinox 800 to try out. My PI is heading to the shop for some minor repairs due to my storage incompetency
    One good thing about Music, when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    1523 times
    Nice recoveries well done

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35, Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1880 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Easiest and all around best for the money salt water machine is the Equinox 800. At least while it is under warranty (3 yrs). My back up is a CTX 3030 and my back up back up is the Excal II. When my 800 drowned recently, my first instinct was to call my dealer and immediately order another 800 (until I found it was still under warranty).
    Now that Wife is happy with large diamond ring found last year, I search for happiness and find it every time I go metal detecting.

us
    Apr 2012
    Eastern Florida
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett AT Pro
    195 times
    I have an Nox 800 and Whites Surf PI. I am still learning the Nox and find it to be awesome but still back with old habits and use the PI in the surf, digging all metal. there are still a few for sale out and about. After 9 years of use, mine is on its way back from Centreville from getting some needed TLC.
    One good thing about Music, when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

us
    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
    9240 times
    I've come to realize that there are two entirely different types of detectorist, those who want to cover an area efficiently in the horizontal plane, and those who want to cover an area efficiently in the vertical plane. Most detectorist fall into the horizontal category, the vertical being too slow and/or requiring a lot of additional laboring. Rarely is a multi-frequency machine capable of doing both.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links