salt water advise

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi my name is mike new here been detecting for about 4 or 5 years looking to up grade and buy a detector I can use in salt water.was looking at the Garrett at pro but from what I read on here not the best choice for salt water.Do you have any recommendations for a good detector for salt water.mainly going to be in the surf.looking in the price range 600 to 1000.00.thank for any advice.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only salt water advice is, you can gargle with it but don't drink it.

Others will likely follow this post with actual, helpful advice but it might be hard to arrive at a consensus. Everyone has their favorite. Good luck!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nox is good in the salt but the build quality leaves something to be desired so don't expect it to last. The warranty is good and with 3d printing I think I'll get 3 yrs shooting for $2400 worth of finds before I have to replace it again. I'm close at 2.5 yrs it paid for itsself and every piece is either failed or failing so its going to be close.

OP
OP
M

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no consensus needed just to get a few recommendations so I can do a little research on my own.Just need to pointed I the right direction

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi my name is mike new here been detecting for about 4 or 5 years looking to up grade and buy a detector I can use in salt water.was looking at the Garrett at pro but from what I read on here not the best choice for salt water.Do you have any recommendations for a good detector for salt water.mainly going to be in the surf.looking in the price range 600 to 1000.00.thank for any advice.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Equinox is what a lot of people are using right now.

jlw35

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used my AT Pro on SoCal beaches for the last 5 winters. Works exceptionally well above the high tide line, but get down to the wet sand or even in the water, and it's not very good. I've not found a way to balance it so that it works that well, I'm not saying that you can't use it in the water, but it's not the best for it.
I have found rings in the wet sand, just saying that if you want a good beach detector, there are probably much better options (but you'll have to pay).
Jeff

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI Mike
I think you need to tell us more information? You mentioned "surf". How active is the water? Are you interested in digging everything you hear?

I can say this! If you are looking to hunt with an Equinox in moving Salt Water, FORGET IT. I would actually pick a Minelab GT Sovereign over the Equinox.

Just to qualify if you look at Terry S's post above and you see that wave wash that is white with air in it. THAT is exactly the kind of stuff that KILLS the Equinox. Also any rapid moving Salt Water.

So please tell us more about your location??/ Black Sand???

Dave

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The equinox is the one to have for all around hunting. I've had mine underwater in saltwater with no problems.
The AT series are not friends with salt beaches.

OP
OP
M

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live close to ocean city Maryland.average day there the surf is 1 to 2 foot waves.i would mainly be digging jewelry no iron .mainly wading in the water but would want something completely water proof.Would be in white water as well as calmer water I see the value in spending a little more to get something that's going to work well.so price is important but not really.Terry that vid was awesome watched it about 4 times thanks

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a modded Excal II, had it modded by Kellyco when they were still doing the mods. I've had the Excal for about 7 years, and I absolutely love it.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live close to ocean city Maryland.average day there the surf is 1 to 2 foot waves.i would mainly be digging jewelry no iron .mainly wading in the water but would want something completely water proof.Would be in white water as well as calmer water I see the value in spending a little more to get something that's going to work well.so price is important but not really.Terry that vid was awesome watched it about 4 times thanks

Well the Equinox has diminished to non-existent abilities in moving Salt Water. I am currently in possession of my friends Tarsacci MDT 8000. Hunted with it for two days. In those two days I already know this unit is WAY better than the Equinox in moving Salt Water. I was able to make that determination with over 2 years on the Equinox.

However I had had to stop using it because the headphone are inferior at the beach.[they are not the factory phones] I would never be able to learn the machine. Also handicapping myself on faint signals. Sadly I can not get a better set where I am at right now.

This machine is already a beach killer! With the 12" coil coming out it could be even better. However there is no guarantee that the larger coil will work better in Salt Water.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OC MD can be some rough hunting, water wise and gold wise. I hunted there for about 6 years, (2008 to 2014). My opinion I like the NOX but If your going in low, on the slope and in the white wash the NOX will not take the beatings. The only machines that can handle that area would be the CZ21, Excalibur, or the Garrett Sea Hunter. Move up the slope from that rough area the NOX would be my choice. During the summer there is just as much treasure in that upper area as there is the lower, you just have to be there a lot to find the gold. The handful of hunters I know that hunt there several hours a week may average 5 gold a year, years ago when I hunted there was a lot more to be found. Just not the same any more... :( One reason I moved on.

Best of Luck!

This is a calm water day for OC..2011..VB Max and Big Rich visits OC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN !, glad your still with us sir! Hope your doing well now after your adventure...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is my go-to machine right now for just about all phases of detecting. If I'm going to be seriously in the surf and not just hitting the ankle lappers, I'd use an Excalibur. Other machines that work great at the beach, both in the wet and dry, would be any of the Minelab multifrequency machines such as the Sovereign, Explorer, Safari, Etrac, CTX, the Fisher CZ20/21, and any of the PI machines. If you want discrimination, get a multifrequency machine. Keep in mind that the CTX, CZ's, and Pi machines are the only other ones that are fully waterproof. The rest are only waterproof up to the control box, so, not recommended for water use. One accidental drop and they're history. There are plenty of other single frequency (or selective multifrequency) detectors out there such as the AT series, Deus, Anfibio, etc, but, they're not ideal in the salt either. They'll work to a point, but, they usually have to be tuned milder to get them stable and are therefor generally depth limited. In your price range, the Equinox is the way to go IMO.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In water like Joe just posted above the performance for the Equinox is very poor. Unhuntable in my opinion. One would need to get out further or up out of that wash.

OP
OP
M

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep the info coming it helps a not thanks. called john at fort bed ford and talked to him very helpful.think im 80% there on my discussion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nox works good in the water, if surf is rough then I wouldn't use it in surf. Excalibur works great in all water environments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions