🥇 BANNER Treasure coins...cut spanish silver, and 1659 marevedi in the same hole !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh brother....got down to a well known treasure beach. I knew they were in the middle of a beach renourishment that will seal this spot under rock, brick, and concrete. There was a slim chance that between back hoes and excavators that I might be able to sneak in and get a coin or 2 before this spot is done for good !! Well it was worth it and I got a 1659 marevedi and a cut spanish silver in the same hole...within 4 inches of each other !! What a thrill !! 20210215_193300.jpg
20210215_193056.jpg
20210215_193107.jpg
20210215_193137.jpg
20210215_193203.jpg 20210215_193206.jpg
Both coins are uncleaned and as dug.....you can see that they were free of saltwater for the most part, as they are not to corroded. The marevedi is killer with all sorts of counter stamps and markings ive yet to decipher. Ill have to start researching to understand what im seeing. I guess there is a slight chance that this coin is a 1559...?? Not quite sure yet. Not sure how these coins were made but almost looks hammered. 20210215_193231.jpg 20210215_193217.jpg
The cut silver does not show much right now but I can see some details struggling to come out. The faint print of a cross is there under a sulfide crust. Distinct cut marks on 2 sides....still wondering what denomination it is....not sure if ill ever know. What a thrill...getting right up in there during the dig and snatching some coins out !! 20210215_142334.jpg 20210215_142344.jpg
Big shout out to islamoradamark.....thanks for sharing the excitement with me and digging with me !! Wooo hoooo !! Treasure coins !! A little bitter sweet knowing that many other coins were dug and loaded into dump trucks and hauled away....at least I saved a couple of them....got a nice Concho or rosette also....got to take a pic !! Thanks for looking and happy hunting folks !! Woooo hoooo !!

20210215_211546.jpg 20210215_211550.jpg
20210215_211557.jpg
Rosette, Concho, not sure ??
20210216_081539.jpg 6.6 on the cobb !!

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the stuff detectorists's dreams are made of! You have my banner vote; like Bill said, I think any 16/17th c. finds like this should be up top.

I can't stop looking at the pics of the maravedi... :laughing7:

Thanks for sharing!

Noah....your next buddy....I got some more info for your trip....im excited for you man !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big banner for you from me....you are a real treasure finder!

Thank you village.....that heavy equipment helped out alot....ill take it however I can find it !! Happy hunting !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Bart i could hear the excitement in your voice today, great job buddy

Woooo hooo....hobie up in the house !! Welcome aboard old friend !! Thanks bud...had to share with you today !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only hope so... as of a few days ago we've got a place booked!

:occasion14: your putting yourself in a place to succeed !!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh brother....got down to a well known treasure beach. I knew they were in the middle of a beach renourishment that will seal this spot under rock, brick, and concrete. There was a slim chance that between back hoes and excavators that I might be able to sneak in and get a coin or 2 before this spot is done for good !! Well it was worth it and I got a 1659 marevedi and a cut spanish silver in the same hole...within 4 inches of each other !! What a thrill !!
Both coins are uncleaned and as dug.....you can see that they were free of saltwater for the most part, as they are not to corroded. The marevedi is killer with all sorts of counter stamps and markings ive yet to decipher. Ill have to start researching to understand what im seeing. I guess there is a slight chance that this coin is a 1559...?? Not quite sure yet. Not sure how these coins were made but almost looks hammered.

The cut silver does not show much right now but I can see some details struggling to come out. The faint print of a cross is there under a sulfide crust. Distinct cut marks on 2 sides....still wondering what denomination it is....not sure if ill ever know. What a thrill...getting right up in there during the dig and snatching some coins out !!
Big shout out to islamoradamark.....thanks for sharing the excitement with me and digging with me !! Wooo hoooo !! Treasure coins !! A little bitter sweet knowing that many other coins were dug and loaded into dump trucks and hauled away....at least I saved a couple of them....got a nice Concho or rosette also....got to take a pic !! Thanks for looking and happy hunting folks !! Woooo hoooo !!
Rosette, Concho, not sure ??

Congratulations on he Superb finds Bart and outrunning the backhoe. :walk:
That Marevedi is in exquisite shape for a copper coin being in the ground for almost 450 years. Do you think the silver could be "one bit" (1 reale) or 1/8 of an 8 reale? (Looks smaller in size than 1/4 of and 8 reale.)

WOW! It sure looks like double 5's Bart. Huge congrats on the two great looking finds.:occasion14:

Seriously I hope they don't use those dump truck loads for landfill cover someplace.

I'd be following the next one out tomorrow.....just saying.

What a day you had, it makes up for the skunkers.

Reading my mind again? (It's a very short story. :laughing7:) I was actually thinking of putting a tracking device on the trucks to see where they went with the loads but it looks like Bart already has that figured out. :icon_thumright:

I can only hope so... as of a few days ago we've got a place booked!

Watch out for Whitewalkers while traveling during this artic blast that has everything freezing north of Flawda. Reach out before you arrive if you want. Big machinery on the beaches around the McClarty museum.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch out for Whitewalkers while traveling during this artic blast that has everything freezing north of Flawda. Reach out before you arrive if you want. Big machinery on the beaches around the McClarty museum.
Thanks Pete, will do! We won't be traveling until around the end of May though.

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Outstanding! Great effort in saving this piece of history. :occasion14:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm....

Welll......

Errrr..........

I think it might be.........

Perhaps if there was less sand on it........

But...... ehhh,,,,

Yeah sure why not....

Banner. :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats BB... you are always thinking outside the box and combined with the drive that can equal stellar finds such as the ones you have there.

Well done and then some. :)

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on he Superb finds Bart and outrunning the backhoe. :walk:
That Marevedi is in exquisite shape for a copper coin being in the ground for almost 450 years. Do you think the silver could be "one bit" (1 reale) or 1/8 of an 8 reale? (Looks smaller in size than 1/4 of and 8 reale.)

Reading my mind again? (It's a very short story. :laughing7:) I was actually thinking of putting a tracking device on the trucks to see where they went with the loads but it looks like Bart already has that figured out. :icon_thumright:

Thank you pete.....im not sure about that cut piece, ill have to clean it up some and weigh it. Boy I sure do love the age and character of that maravedi though !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding! Great effort in saving this piece of history. :occasion14:

Thank you dan....its an honor to share it here on t-net with so many people that have a true appreciation of this history !! So many millions of people passed within 20 feet of it for so many years !! Man does Florida have some history.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats BB... you are always thinking outside the box and combined with the drive that can equal stellar finds such as the ones you have there.

Well done and then some. :)

Thanks ARC.....so many times we've talked treasure....thank you for all the encouragement over the years. Your knowledge and help have kept me focused on the task at hand.....spanish treasure !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got some real ones....I was starting to think I could only find the fake ones !! 4 fake cobbs in a month and 2 real ones in a 5 minute span. Woooo hoooo !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ARC.....so many times we've talked treasure....thank you for all the encouragement over the years. Your knowledge and help have kept me focused on the task at hand.....spanish treasure !!

Well to be honest... there is not much else to talk about... Only three things really...

Weather... Treasure... Rum.

And not necessarily in that order :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got some real ones....I was starting to think I could only find the fake ones !! 4 fake cobbs in a month and 2 real ones in a 5 minute span. Woooo hoooo !!

Oh so you did find those... heh heh heh... muwhahahaha....

Those cost me five bucks at the flea market :P

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have to start the day with a wee bit of rum in my coffee !!:occasion14::coffee2::laughing7::tongue3:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great hunt you guys had Bart, congrats on your historic finds! :occasion14:
The pics of seeing you in shorts are both exciting and unsettling at the same time... mainly because I'm looking out my window at 8" - 10" of new-fallen snow right now.

Kudos to you for seizing the moment to detect while the excavators are idle.
Best of luck in tracking down the soil that was hauled away. :thumbsup:

I’m voting BANNER for your cut Spanish Silver and 1659 Marevedi found in the same hole! :hello2:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread