My Equinox Dilemma

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Equinox dilemma, here it is. I’ve been thinking of buying a 600 to add to my arsenal, so, been playing with a friend’s 600 before making that decision and there’s one aspect of the machine that I don’t care for.

The presets, and the manner in which the machine’s presets prioritizes the frequencies seems counter productive “for me.” While testing the machine I was stunned to see how much loss there was between high conductors and mid-conductors depending on the preset selected. Per example, in park 2 I got decent depth on gold but extremely poor depth on silver, this same opposite effect when in Park 1. This same effect also holding true in each of the presets offered.

The problem for me is that I don’t want to miss any of the deep silver while trying to track down gold when water hunting, fact is I really enjoy recovering all that deep silver while waiting on the gold. So my question to you experienced Equinox users is this, “is there any way around this?” I was honestly stunned at the loss of performance on deep silver when setup for maximum performance on deep gold. For now, anyway, I’m miffed to find a way around this? What am I missing?
DSC_6203 33 per.jpg

Upvote 0

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish it didn't have the preset mode designations and just had a few manually programmed "user modes" where even the freq weighting could be selected. Just random thoughts here ( I have 800's): Likely, the Park 2 had maybe the factory preset recovery speed setting of like 6, which limits depth notably. In an INSANE amount of hours, both in the wild and in an extensive Old test garden, Park 2 always "wins" compared to park1/field1/field2, in both depth, ID and sorting out targets by old iron nails/etc (With Every other possible settings the same!). I go through and change all settings to be the same, because some have built in discrimination of 1 or 2 (to knock out coke). Make the F2 settings equal, recovery speeds the same, tones all the same, etc, etc.... then the only variables are whatever built in frequency weighting is within each mode. Surprisingly, the modes that allegedly are better on silver and the single frequencies that "should" be best on silver, are not necessarily better (proved many many times over in use). The real world performance of the Multi-IQ is seen when doing extensive test garden work, namely at all the deeper coin targets, some close to 15 inches down, blows the doors off ID with the single freqs. So, you can make all things equal, other than the frequency mix per mode, then it's easy just to change recovery speed/etc for the conditions at hand. Your results may vary, just my experiences here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish it didn't have the preset mode designations and just had a few manually programmed "user modes". Just random thoughts here ( I have 800's): Likely, the Park 2 had maybe the factory preset recovery speed setting of like 6, which limits depth notably. In an INSANE amount of hours, both in the wild and in an extensive Old test garden, Park 2 always "wins" compared to park1/field1/field2, in both depth, ID and sorting out targets by old iron nails/etc (With Every other possible settings the same!). I go through and change all settings to be the same, because some have built in discrimination of 1 or 2 (to knock out coke). Make the F2 settings equal, recovery speeds the same, tones all the same, etc, etc.... then the only variables are whatever built in frequency weighting is within each mode. Surprisingly, the modes that allegedly are better on silver and the single frequencies that "should" be best on silver, are not necessarily better (proved many many times over in use). The real world performance of the Multi-IQ is seen when doing extensive test garden work, namely at all the deeper coin targets, some close to 15 inches down, blows the doors off ID with the single freqs. So, you can make all things equal, other than the frequency mix per mode, then it's easy just to change recovery speed/etc for the conditions at hand. Your results may vary, just my experiences here.

A full manual mode, that's where I'm at too. For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't include that option? I want the machine for my planned travels this summer, some of those locations requiring that I'm going to have to limit the number the holes I dig, otherwise I'd just use my Excal, Sov, etc. But these Equinox factory presets are nuts without a full manual mode. Just not sure I want to go that route. Seems to make for a lot of unnecessary machine fiddling around.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Equinox dilemma, here it is. I’ve been thinking of buying a 600 to add to my arsenal, so, been playing with a friend’s 600 before making that decision and there’s one aspect of the machine that I don’t care for.

The presets, and the manner in which the machine’s presets prioritizes the frequencies seems counter productive “for me.” While testing the machine I was stunned to see how much loss there was between high conductors and mid-conductors depending on the preset selected. Per example, in park 2 I got decent depth on gold but extremely poor depth on silver, this same opposite effect when in Park 1. This same effect also holding true in each of the presets offered.

The problem for me is that I don’t want to miss any of the deep silver while trying to track down gold when water hunting, fact is I really enjoy recovering all that deep silver while waiting on the gold. So my question to you experienced Equinox users is this, “is there any way around this?” I was honestly stunned at the loss of performance on deep silver when setup for maximum performance on deep gold. For now, anyway, I’m miffed to find a way around this? What am I missing?
View attachment 1911195

Does your machine have the new update? Have you tested the 4hz mode?

I am guessing you are hunting fresh water? Have you tried the beach modes? Depending on your bottom, you may be able to run higher sensitivity in beach modes which might equal more depth?

And when you say "max performance for gold" does that just mean park 2?

CBHUNTER1

Mar 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had my Equinox very long so I am still getting to know it. I received my unit then went on the road working so I don't have it with me. I did buy a book written by Andy Sabisch to get me going. I knw when using the presets some of the settings are not adjustable but others are. There is one "user" mode accessible by using the button on the side. Isn't the user mode a fully adjustable manual mode?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does your machine have the new update? Have you tested the 4hz mode?

I am guessing you are hunting fresh water? Have you tried the beach modes? Depending on your bottom, you may be able to run higher sensitivity in beach modes which might equal more depth?

And when you say "max performance for gold" does that just mean park 2?

I don't own an Equinox yet, just ordered an 800 yesterday, so I've only been playing around/testing the tech with a friends 600. No, I no longer live on the coast, been exiled to central Indiana last few years. I do really well here on the deep gold and silver with my fully modified Excal so I can always use that machine when water hunting, but I just wanted a decent dual purpose machine for those locations where i have to limit my digging and for family and friends who might want to go along. I also wanted the machine for my planned travels this summer.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigscoop, it looks like you ordered the 800 so it sounds like your dilemma is resolved or at least wasn't a big enough one from keeping your from ordering.
Good - I think you'll be happy you ordered the machine.
I've had mine for almost 2 years now and the thing is amazing. Granted, I was coming from a White'x MXT Pro, but still - I've been very impressed with the Equinox's capabilities and as a detector for "limited digging" and "family and friends" it will be perfect. Family and friends won't notice the subtle differences between multi-IQ frequency usages in the various modes; they'll notice how easy it is to differentiate between a coin signal and trash. And you'll notice that the detector is very "fast" in all modes, making it easy to separate good stuff from iron.

BUT - you and rc2125 make some good points about the limitations of the software of the Equinox. Having only one user program is frustrating. I was getting A LOT of good sound/VDI signals on rusty targets and square nails; at some old homesites here in New Jersey (1800's or even 1700's era) I was pulling 10-20 square nails that "sounded good" for every quality target, which I thought was weird. I think even Multi-IQ gets tricked by iron a little too often. I got the 6" coil to help in these iron infested areas, and it has to some degree (I've learned to "hear the shape" of the target and can increase my chances of knowing it's good before digging, but I still dig iron).

SO, this winter I bought an XP Deus to compliment my Equinox. My opinion was that at some of my sites the Deus' ability to sniff out good targets amongst the iron would differentiate it from the Deus. I've been able to take it out a few times since getting it and it has not disappointed, pulling some 1800's buttons and a large cent from a field where I'd used the Equinox extensively. And the Deus is much more programmable, with the ability to add something like 8 user definable programs. But it doesn't have Multi-IQ and I'm wondering what I'm losing by using just a single frequency.

I haven't set up a test garden yet, but I think it may be time to do so. I'm really interested in what rc2125 said about Park 2 being best on the Equinox, and I'd like to test that. Over the winter the only testing I did do was above-ground (on a sled on top of snow), where I tested coins next to a bent 90-degreennail to see if the Deus or Equinox could separate better. I felt like the Deus had the advantage, but not by much.

Anyway, in closing I'll say bigscoop that you bought probably the best all-around detector for family and friends and limited digging. Don't worry too much about relatively minor, subtle differences in modes or frequency uses - the baseline ability of all the modes is very strong/very good. You can improve/maximize that by tweaking things like recovery speed for sure, and I'm still not sure what effect Iron Bias has after 2 years of using the thing (meaning that even with a high iron bias I still get tricked by iron, and with a low iron bias I'm not finding more good targets - so it confuses me still).
You're gonna love the detector - enjoy it!

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own an Equinox yet, just ordered an 800 yesterday, so I've only been playing around/testing the tech with a friends 600. No, I no longer live on the coast, been exiled to central Indiana last few years. I do really well here on the deep gold and silver with my fully modified Excal so I can always use that machine when water hunting, but I just wanted a decent dual purpose machine for those locations where i have to limit my digging and for family and friends who might want to go along. I also wanted the machine for my planned travels this summer.

I am a huge Excal/Sovereign fan in Salt Water. Especially moving salt water. However the Equinox should beat both of those hands down in fresh water. Dave

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a huge Excal/Sovereign fan in Salt Water. Especially moving salt water. However the Equinox should beat both of those hands down in fresh water. Dave

Personally, having hunted both "a lot" with my Excal, I seriously doubt that the 800 can complete at the same level. I routinely pull very deep gold and silver with the Excal because I have that full manual option, so no loss of depth in this high conductor VS mid conductor Equinox preset dilemma. Bit we'll certainly see soon enough because if there's a way around this preset issue I'll eventually find it. :dontknow:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, it looks like you ordered the 800 so it sounds like your dilemma is resolved or at least wasn't a big enough one from keeping your from ordering.
Good - I think you'll be happy you ordered the machine.
I've had mine for almost 2 years now and the thing is amazing. Granted, I was coming from a White'x MXT Pro, but still - I've been very impressed with the Equinox's capabilities and as a detector for "limited digging" and "family and friends" it will be perfect. Family and friends won't notice the subtle differences between multi-IQ frequency usages in the various modes; they'll notice how easy it is to differentiate between a coin signal and trash. And you'll notice that the detector is very "fast" in all modes, making it easy to separate good stuff from iron.

BUT - you and rc2125 make some good points about the limitations of the software of the Equinox. Having only one user program is frustrating. I was getting A LOT of good sound/VDI signals on rusty targets and square nails; at some old homesites here in New Jersey (1800's or even 1700's era) I was pulling 10-20 square nails that "sounded good" for every quality target, which I thought was weird. I think even Multi-IQ gets tricked by iron a little too often. I got the 6" coil to help in these iron infested areas, and it has to some degree (I've learned to "hear the shape" of the target and can increase my chances of knowing it's good before digging, but I still dig iron).

SO, this winter I bought an XP Deus to compliment my Equinox. My opinion was that at some of my sites the Deus' ability to sniff out good targets amongst the iron would differentiate it from the Deus. I've been able to take it out a few times since getting it and it has not disappointed, pulling some 1800's buttons and a large cent from a field where I'd used the Equinox extensively. And the Deus is much more programmable, with the ability to add something like 8 user definable programs. But it doesn't have Multi-IQ and I'm wondering what I'm losing by using just a single frequency.

I haven't set up a test garden yet, but I think it may be time to do so. I'm really interested in what rc2125 said about Park 2 being best on the Equinox, and I'd like to test that. Over the winter the only testing I did do was above-ground (on a sled on top of snow), where I tested coins next to a bent 90-degreennail to see if the Deus or Equinox could separate better. I felt like the Deus had the advantage, but not by much.

Anyway, in closing I'll say bigscoop that you bought probably the best all-around detector for family and friends and limited digging. Don't worry too much about relatively minor, subtle differences in modes or frequency uses - the baseline ability of all the modes is very strong/very good. You can improve/maximize that by tweaking things like recovery speed for sure, and I'm still not sure what effect Iron Bias has after 2 years of using the thing (meaning that even with a high iron bias I still get tricked by iron, and with a low iron bias I'm not finding more good targets - so it confuses me still).
You're gonna love the detector - enjoy it!

I'm aware that when using presets or making adjustments in recovery speed, etc., etc., that all of these are a condition of borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, just the nature of the basic technology that can't be avoided. This will always be the advantage of a true manual option because you can limit the amount of these costly presets, etc. So we'll see what we can get out of the machine and if these exist any machine nuances that I might be able to take full advantage of? Just going to take "a lot" of time to see what we can get out of it? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread