Picking an affordable sand scoop

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use a RTG scoop on the recommendations of Casper! It's awesome! I have yet to bend or break it. Can't beat it in the water! 20210324_184934.jpg 20210324_184900.jpg 20210324_184915.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking dry sand or wet sand there is a major difference. If your talking hunting wet sand and in the water then do no go cheap, you will end up breaking the scoop, My first scoop I paid $69.99, I though that was a lot of money, broke it with in the month digging wet sand. If you are only going to hunt beach once a year they go cheap, if it will be a regular thing spend the money and get a good one. A $175-$225 scoop is worth it's weight in gold (rings). Keep in mind you can buy a $200 scoop now and sell it 5 years from now for $150 all day long, I have done it. It ended up costing me $10 a year to have a scoop I could depend on.

Sunspot, Stealth, T-Rex all come to mind.

OP
OP

1k9

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2021
Oahu
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My plan is on beach and shallow water.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought mine from some ukraiane guy on ebay, search sand scoop and look for a guy in ukraine, don't have any links handy but he does stellar work of similar quality or better than the top end models available here, for 1/3 the price.
As TH said, worse thing you can do is buy a cheaply made one, may work fine in dry sand but they will bend and fracture in the clay and muck that you might find in the water.

For a handle I just use a common rake blank available from home depots for $8, cut to size. I put pipe insulation over it so its buoyant and tape it on, would be tough to break it if you tried. Some guys get carbon fiber handles that cost more than the scoop, personally do not see the logic in that unless you have $$ to burn.

A7thson

Greenie
Oct 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought mine from some ukraiane guy on ebay

That would probably be Coob scoops. They also sell on amazon and have a US site as well I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VLT6DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with the Monstrik and like it. I just put a wood handle on mine as well. The carbon fiber is a weight thing so it's not as heavy to lug around everywhere. I can't justify the cost either, but if you can sell it and get it out of it like mentioned before, it might make it more reasonable.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean I did good ?
A lot of guys like RTGs in New England - I have same model but had them add a stainless lip to this one - helps cut thru seagrass and clay bottoms better - built like a tank - dont think anyone has ever broke one
i did an old article on scoops here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/
gist of it = get a quality one that will last - had many trial and errors in my early yrs

I use a RTG scoop on the recommendations of Casper! It's awesome! I have yet to bend or break it. Can't beat it in the water! View attachment 1912773 View attachment 1912774 View attachment 1912775

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had 3 friends over the yrs with wooden handles that ended up breaking over the yrs

That would probably be Coob scoops. They also sell on amazon and have a US site as well I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VLT6DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with the Monstrik and like it. I just put a wood handle on mine as well. The carbon fiber is a weight thing so it's not as heavy to lug around everywhere. I can't justify the cost either, but if you can sell it and get it out of it like mentioned before, it might make it more reasonable.

vinnywop

Oct 9, 2020
Stafford, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use an RTG scoop and have never had a problem with it. The thing is strong!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanna know a trick that aids in these scoops speed ? ? ?
my trick is I usually get target on first scoop - 2nd if its down deep :icon_thumleft:

A7thson

Greenie
Oct 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had 3 friends over the yrs with wooden handles that ended up breaking over the yrs

Yeah I've broken several wooden handles on regular shovels. But as I only get to the beach about once a year, the investment in a lighter, sturdier, handle is questionable. I do like that they can be broken down for travel. If I bought one it would probably be for that reason, but that also makes me wonder about how well the joints hold up.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First... more holes in back... you can do smaller than 5/8ths... just to keep more integrity...

Second... and most important...

Get a regular clay brick... or book same size... lay scoop on its side flat on floor... place brick / book under handle near scoop... make sure it is steady and level...

then GENTLY and evenly step on SIDE of scoop MOUTH OPENING AREA ONLY distorting ONLY the opening mouth from round to more "oval"... SLIGHTLY... just barely oval... not completely.

Just enough that the shape has been slightly changed.

changing the "round" to oval will massively increase ALL types of material drop through.

I have done this to every scoop I have owned for decades.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have never snapped a wood handle after years of often rough use on 2 scoops, you salt guys probably see rougher though - When/if it snaps, another $8 and I'm good.

Was surprised to see a carbon fiber under $100 from the Ukrainian guy, ones I recall seeing were more like $300.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
You mean I did good ?
A lot of guys like RTGs in New England - I have same model but had them add a stainless lip to this one - helps cut thru seagrass and clay bottoms better - built like a tank - dont think anyone has ever broke one
gist of it = get a quality one that will last - had many trial and errors in my early yrs

8 years and counting!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Stealth 920iX with a wooden post hole digger handle = 6 years now. The handle floats upright in the water.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One should consider what waves your working in. For instance an open face scoop here is worthless as the waves are large enough to knock targets out of the scoop. I too use an RTG scoop with a stainless lip. Dave

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised no one picked up on my trick / comment...

Wellllll you can lead em to the water... but ya cant make em... um... heh

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
You mean I did good ?

Well, sorry to burst your bubble but I've broken 2 RTG scoops. One was understandable working for a while in rocks where I crushed in the sides and when I was hammering it out the bottom cracked open at the seam (I wired it shut and it still works). The second one last about 4 months, just past the 90 day warranty I believe. It broke at the top weld where the cross support meets the long handle (inserted a steel pipe at the break and now works fine). My newest RTG scoop is one with a wider mouth/scoop, something like 7-8", really nice and back-up to my T-Rex w carbon fiber handle (can't beat it).

OP
OP

1k9

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2021
Oahu
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the RTG sand scoops, I see the holes are 5/8, anyone have problems with stuff falling through that size holes? And anyone using there new
THE BLADE ALUMINUM BEACH SCOOP?

Last edited:
OP
OP

1k9

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2021
Oahu
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised no one picked up on my trick / comment...

Wellllll you can lead em to the water... but ya cant make em... um... heh
Post picture

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread