Carrot at the Beach

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Considering the Garrett Carrot. I have never used a pin pointer at the beach, usually kick the sand around till I find what I'm after. I can see the value but afraid that it will just end up expensive unused gear in the garage. Am I missing the boat on this? what are y'all using and is it really that much of a time saver? oh, and any tips to keep from losing the damn thing would be helpful LOL :cat:

61ffo3ilW2L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Upvote 0

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you wouldn't need it if the target is very near the surface, but most of what is dug is not, its deeper. I could not detect the beach, park, field, etc without a pin pointer, need it to pin point the target in your pile of sand or dirt

vinnywop

Oct 9, 2020
Stafford, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I don't always use a carrot at the beach, I do use it everywhere else 100% of the time. Makes recovery much faster/easier so you can spend less time doing recovery and more time hunting. As far as not losing it, I use a lanyard with a flexible cord and secure the lanyard to my belt loop and keep the carrot in my cargo pocket.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Considering the Garrett Carrot. I have never used a pin pointer at the beach, usually kick the sand around till I find what I'm after. I can see the value but afraid that it will just end up expensive unused gear in the garage. Am I missing the boat on this? what are y'all using and is it really that much of a time saver? oh, and any tips to keep from losing the damn thing would be helpful LOL :cat:

View attachment 1913062

Have you used one else where?

It's defiantly a time saver in the sand/dirt and yes it can drop out of sheath/pocket/pouch/left behind at last hole. Being orange it's an easy to see/retrieve.
Once a person switch they find that it's an easy method of recovery over other tried-true methods of retrieval regardless of dirt/sand conditions.

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
I always carry mine, it speeds up recovery time on small items in the sand. I use an outboard kill switch lanyard to attach mine to my pouch. Yamaha makes a good one, but there are also some good generic ones out there.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t see the point of one at the beach, a sand scoop lets you shake the sand and reveal the target

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mine. I have it on a cord to keep from losing it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don’t see the point of one at the beach, a sand scoop lets you shake the sand and reveal the target

Good point-if one had a scoop to begin with.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
I agree with Peyton Manning. I see guys using a pinpointer in the sand that have a scoop and it seems time consuming and you have to bend down. I could probably use a little more bending down to slim down but it just isn't for me.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always have a Garrett carrot on my belt at the beach, and use it mainly when going after deep targets that disappear (which side of the hole do I need to work) or when the target is not obvious after a "scoop and spread" in wet clingy sand. It stay attached to my belt with a Nitecore NTL20 Coiled Tactical Flashlight Lanyard with Belt Strap.

I also velcro a one inch round disc neodynium magnet to the battery cover end of the carrot to quickly grab those tiny wire fragments that sound good with a PI but are camouflaged in dark wet sand.

I only use the carrot when needed, maybe 20% of the time. But it has kept me from walking away from small gold.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never use my pinpointed at the beach. To me it is unnecessary and time consuming. Use it 100% of the time when dirt digging, which I do much less of

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
In the park yes, at the beach no no no. I don’t bend over ever. In the park I use knee pads and get right down on the ground, saves the back. Sand scoop and or floating water sifter only at the beach.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to be one of the guys saying "never saw the point of using one at the beach" but I found that was an error, I see the point now and yes it can be a major time saver. In fact sometimes all I carry [dry sand] is the pinpointer and a 5 in 1 tool for digging, can find 90% of targets in seconds vs scoop, shake [if able, wet/compacted sand does not shake], rescan hole, scoop again, wheres the target ?, rescan, scoop, kick sand around ect.

As far as how you take it out with you, thats on you. I usually have pants or shorts I clip it to. If you detect with Speedos you might have to improvise.
For guys that can't/won't bend over, obviously not an option.
I don't bend, I crouch, same as if I'm at work. Crouching is somewhat of a relief after alot of walking, to a guy who can't or won't crouch, sounds to me they are on their last legs and probably should not be out forcing themselves to walk and lug around a heavy sand scoop.

So to summarize, if most of what I am detecting is pure dry sand, I may take the scoop. If its likely i'll get into wet sand, I'll use the pinpointer and leave the scoop in the truck. Scoops can be a major pain to lug around on dry land after a while, not so bad in the water. Have never used the pinpointer in the water, you'd basically have to snorkel to do that. It is small and light enough to take along even if you think you won't be using it - And a genuine Garrett [as opposed to one of the made in china ripoffs] sell quick for close to what you paid for it, so no need to fret about possible wasted investment.

Be advised, pinpointer may or may not interfere with your detector, really an annoyance more than anything, as the pinpointer is not on until you are looking for a target with it, but the chattering detector will annoy you quick. You'll have to find your own work arounds if this is the case for you, they tend not to interfere with other Garrett products but most others do. Simplex went so far as to introduce a software update which allows you to mute the detector just because of this issue, and it works good, so long as you remember to unmute it when you are done.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Not going to bend over to pinpoint at the beach. If I can’t find it or catch it in the scoop, I move on. I’m not worried about missing that one little diamond stud. If It keeps falling through the scoop and I can’t find it by spreading sand out fast enough, I move on. Most of these elusive signals that fall through the scoop are usually small pieces of lead, 22shells, aluminum or foil anyway.

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't use the lanyard I just throw it in my pocket. I don't see how you could possibly lose it unless you forget to pick it up after digging but even then it's in my hand I recover the target and the carrot goes back in my pocket

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont know if i had anything to do with it - but i wrote Garrett right after they came out with the regular black pinpointer and i water proofed mine
told them if they made a water proof model they would sell tons - wrote them a few times
and then ta da we got one
i love mine for muddy farm fields

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not often the case, depending on size of target, pin pointer definitely speeds up recovery.. Have mine on a retractable key ring attached to my belt loop. Use it for almost every scoop.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the falsing the carrot gives, so I use my Minelab pointer.

Matt

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Have a GC and use it all the time searching the sides and bottom of dug holes in dirt and when pinpointing very small things, like diamond ear ring studs, in the sand. I'm lost without my pointer and find it a real time saver in dirt and in sand. Gone through half dozen pointers in past few years; lost 2 out of back of truck, had 3 Fisher F pulses all fail, even bought a Chinese knock-off to compare to GC, it doesn't. I find the Garrett Carrot one of the best all around pointers that is waterproof on the market.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use the lanyard I just throw it in my pocket. I don't see how you could possibly lose it unless you forget to pick it up after digging but even then it's in my hand I recover the target and the carrot goes back in my pocket

For me, not concerned with losing, its convenience. Sometimes back in the pocket, sometimes let it hang depending the situation

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread