Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem some don't recognize the faints in the threshold, in the all metal setting of the excal..... One reason I say that there was a guy doing a video compare of the Nox and Excalibur, when he was checking the target in All metal with the Excalibur he was swing right over the deep target and saying.. see it can't be heard. I'm setting there saying, dude it's right there... you can't hear it? Even with his poor coil control one could still pick out the faint (fast) ramp up, crest, then the ram down...Either his hearing was bad or the target report was not what he expected and did not recognize it.

Last year I noticed here in the bay, for every 10 hunters, 6 had Nox's..

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video and well said..I for sure will be applying your ideas this season

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem some don't recognize the faints in the threshold, in the all metal setting of the excal..... One reason I say that there was a guy doing a video compare of the Nox and Excalibur, when he was checking the target in All metal with the Excalibur he was swing right over the deep target and saying.. see it can't be heard. I'm setting there saying, dude it's right there... you can't hear it? Even with his poor coil control one could still pick out the faint (fast) ramp up, crest, then the ram down...Either his hearing was bad or the target report was not what he expected and did not recognize it.

Last year I noticed here in the bay, for every 10 hunters, 6 had Nox's..

I've been playing with a Nox and it's not anything close to the Excal when it comes to getting below that common ground. I can see where guys who want to cover a lot of ground and/or coin shooters would really like the Nox. I'm of the conclusion that most detectorist simply aren't wanting to do all of the required chasing and digging and there's been a lot of times after a full day's hunt that I can't say that I blame them. I just got out of the water again today, 3 fakers, a couple of nasty silver coins, and a boatload of fishing weights and other badly corroded and tarnished trash. I'm whipped and not a single piece of gold.....lol

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the gold & silver in this vid were found at spots that were thought to be cleaned out
most were hammered by Excal users back then - most cranked their disrim. so they were trying to
go just for the good stuff - I hit these spots in all metal - very few spots had a lot of trash as you will see -
most of the gold is "old gold" and was over a foot - foot and a half down ...so was the silver
I hunt in all metal 99% of the time and I try to slow down - I run with my sensitivity high
I go after the whisper signals - i get the slightest fluctuation in by back ground tone and I will always give
the spot a quick scoop and recheck or usually i will give a quick fan with my dive boot and recheck
most of the hunters up here take out there junk - so it makes a lot of spots easier to go for the deeper stuff
When hitting far from home I know its not easy to pull everything out and to slow down due to limited time
but places that you hit often or are close to home - you definitely should

I am not retired and most of the beaches i hit that year were 1 1/2 - 2 hrs drive away

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most Excal users treat the machine like a simple turn-on-and-go detector and then they never try to go beyond that. I say this because whenever I tell people that the Excal has a long and difficult learning curve they look at me like I'm crazy.....:laughing7: On the other hand, I'll never forget that first truly deep gold ring I recovered after chasing just a tiny threshold disruption. I couldn't believe it, the thought that I had been using the machine for so long without every truly knowing it's full potential. That day was the game changer for me......a 1931 10k class ring at around 16-18 inches from a really cleaned out beach bottom, the complete lack of targets the only reason I had decided to chase that faint threshold disruption. It was quite the eye opener, for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread