Straight shaft vs straight over/ under for Excal

Mar 29, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.

I've used my excal II in standard form for 3 seasons now, but my wrists and arms aren't thanking me for it.
I'm looking at getting a straight carbon rod, but can't decide between the one that mounts the control unit behind the elbow and the one that mounts it below the elbow.

Below the elbow makes more sense to me for accessibility but being elbow makes sense for counter balance.

I'm in the UK and sadly neither of the off- the- shelf shafts are native so I'll have to pay a premium to get it here, which is why I'm asking here first.

I don't really have the time to make my own, as simple as it looks.

Thanks

Upvote 0

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.

I've used my excal II in standard form for 3 seasons now, but my wrists and arms aren't thanking me for it.
I'm looking at getting a straight carbon rod, but can't decide between the one that mounts the control unit behind the elbow and the one that mounts it below the elbow.

Below the elbow makes more sense to me for accessibility but being elbow makes sense for counter balance.

I'm in the UK and sadly neither of the off- the- shelf shafts are native so I'll have to pay a premium to get it here, which is why I'm asking here first.

I don't really have the time to make my own, as simple as it looks.

Thanks

I tried both methods and ended up with behind the elbow for better weight distribution. The only issue is the headset coil cord has a tendency to tug the headset. Also, controls a little more difficult to access.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've used the over/under for years.... mostly because it fits in my car better, but also because I can access the controls. The balance isn't as good as keeping it behind the elbow, but I mostly hunt in the water where this isn't an issue. Hunting on the wet or dry sand can wear you out after a couple of hours though. But if you use a 'swingy thingy' or something similar, you can hunt all day.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I've used both mounting methods and in the end chose the over/under with the aid of a Pro 45 sling...but other sling designs will do also. That way the controls were right there and the weight was off my arm. In fact, I always used a sling regardless of the detector....CTX3030, EQX 800 and even the XP Deus. I could then let go of the detector while inspecting my finds and not have to lay the detector in the dirt, sand or surf.

Just the way I do things.....YMMV

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried both methods and ended up with behind the elbow for better weight distribution. The only issue is the headset coil cord has a tendency to tug the headset. Also, controls a little more difficult to access.

Same method I use, but I as also use bungie harness as well, can hunt 12 hours with ease.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My setup is a standard carbon fiber shaft, pin point mod in the handle, and hip mount the control pod behind me. I can hunt all day like that without having to use a sling (which I do use on other detector/coil combinations)

OP
OP
R
Mar 29, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both mounting methods and in the end chose the over/under with the aid of a Pro 45 sling...but other sling designs will do also. That way the controls were right there and the weight was off my arm. In fact, I always used a sling regardless of the detector....CTX3030, EQX 800 and even the XP Deus. I could then let go of the detector while inspecting my finds and not have to lay the detector in the dirt, sand or surf.

Just the way I do things.....YMMV

Hey,

Even though you use a sling, does the over under make swinging nicer than the stock shaft? I must admit I've fashioned various slings to use with the stock shaft but it's still hard work

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Hey,

Even though you use a sling, does the over under make swinging nicer than the stock shaft? I must admit I've fashioned various slings to use with the stock shaft but it's still hard work

The stock shaft is very “sub standard” at best compared to a straight shaft. You’re detecting life will be much easier when you ditch the stock shaft in favor of the straight one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My setup is a standard carbon fiber shaft, pin point mod in the handle, and hip mount the control pod behind me. I can hunt all day like that without having to use a sling (which I do use on other detector/coil combinations)

We repaired way too many excals when I worked in Minelab repair center that were waist mounted and chest mounted, I stop and went back to shaft mounted.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same method I use, but I as also use bungie harness as well, can hunt 12 hours with ease.

My wife got me a Pro Swing 45 for Xmas 2019, tried it on but never used it, just felt cumbersome. I'm 70yrs old, don't dive any more, so I sold the excal and bought an EQ800. Added some weight at the end of the shaft to help take some weight away from the coil. Easy swing now.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
which ever one you go with...MEASURE THE LENGTH fully assembled. I know of a few that have bought the BEHIND the elbow and the length as used while detecting would not fit into the detectorist's car. The OVER/UNDER did fit for length. I have the OVER/UNDER and it works well for me. Personally I did not like the controls so far away as they are with the BEHIND the elbow shaft. The shorted shaft when used in the wood is also easier to swing in tight spaces. ENJOY!

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When running excals, for wading, always preferred full length one-piece straight shaft setup, easy going for swinging and nice balance. I always rigged mine so the headphone's cord was on bottom though, battery and coil cord up top, which also makes the pinpoint knob easier to use. Would always zip tie the battery and coil cables together to help them stress relief each other. Hated the headphone cord when rigged up top at the end.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We repaired way too many excals when I worked in Minelab repair center that were waist mounted and chest mounted, I stop and went back to shaft mounted.

I've zip-tied the cables in a way that keeps the flex to a minimum and away from the pod. The trick is to leave enough slack so there are no tight kinks or strains anywhere. I have a couple Excals set up that way and haven't had a broken cable yet in over 14 years of doing it that way.

OP
OP
R
Mar 29, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for all your input.
I ended up ordering an over under.
Hoping that I don't regret that decision as its coming from another country, but , I don't like the idea of the control unit behind me, so I'm making a trade off with it under the elbow I guess .
I don't do any diving, a little wading but mainly beach work so anything is better than standard I reckon.

I was debating getting the Nox800 or even ctx3030 but I'm not convinced my finds will increase much. I am hoping to work more fields in the coming years so maybe I'll change detector then.

:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great topic here and excellent advice and feedback from all....thanks for sharing

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for all your input.
I ended up ordering an over under.
Hoping that I don't regret that decision as its coming from another country, but , I don't like the idea of the control unit behind me, so I'm making a trade off with it under the elbow I guess .
I don't do any diving, a little wading but mainly beach work so anything is better than standard I reckon.

I was debating getting the Nox800 or even ctx3030 but I'm not convinced my finds will increase much. I am hoping to work more fields in the coming years so maybe I'll change detector then.

:icon_thumright:

Had both over the years, prefer the under as it just makes for a shorter setup and easier transport, never really noticed any difference in balance/weight. The Nox is a good machine (perhaps some quality issues) but it's not an Excal. I bought the 800 mainly for land hunting, and also just for something different, a new toy to play with. I've used it water hunting and while it performs pretty well when I'm in serious mode I'll use the Excal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread